PDA

View Full Version : Ready for my medical yet?

VOR_DME
15th May 2007, 13:42
Hello,

I am 15 (16 at the end of August) which is when I hope to go solo.

I know I need a medical before then, but I was wondering, as it is only a few months off, if it would be best to get one now (or when my GCSE's have finished in a few weeks?).

Thanks for your help!

VOR_DME

Tim Dawson
15th May 2007, 13:49
Is there a compelling reason to get it now rather than later?

If you can, I'd recommend leaving it until the last minute. There's no point having it before you've passed Air Law or whatever else you're waiting for to go solo. In five years time when it's about to expire, you'll just wish you waited another couple of months.

Having said that, it really doesn't matter that much.

Al Smith
15th May 2007, 14:54
Best to get your class 2 medical as soon as possible, no point in wasting loads of money on flying lessons if you are unable to solo or get your licence due to a medical condition.

Mirage962
15th May 2007, 15:35
Hi,
I'm pretty sure you can only get your medical from one month before your sixteenth birthday (so, if your birthday was the 1st August, you could only get it after the 1st June). You might want to check, but I seem to remember my instructor telling me that when I asked him the same question a couple of months ago. :ok:

VOR_DME
15th May 2007, 16:26
OK, thanks

And that reminds me of another question... do I have to do the Air Law exam before going solo? From your last post I'd guess I do, but if you could clarify??

Thanks! :)

Mirage962
15th May 2007, 16:45
Unfortunately you do have to do air law first! I've got my exam on thursday...:uhoh:

'India-Mike
15th May 2007, 17:08
Where (e.g.) in LASORS does it say you've got to do Air Law before you can solo? LASORS C1.1 p.2 makes no mention of Air Law. I know it's not the ANO but.....

charliegolf
15th May 2007, 17:11
....and failing a class 2 medical needn't preclude him from getting a licence, albeit an NPPL, with SSEA rating.

CG

sjeh
15th May 2007, 17:37
Your club may require you to pass Air Law before allowing you to go solo, but to the best of my knowledge there is no legal requirement to do so.

Tim Dawson
15th May 2007, 17:44
I think that's correct too, but it makes a lot of sense to have Air Law done and I expect most if not all flying clubs will enforce it.

Whirlygig
15th May 2007, 18:02
I would recommend though finding an AME and booking your appointment now for some time in the future. Some of them are booked up months in advance.

Cheers

Whirls

VOR_DME
15th May 2007, 22:14
OK, thanks for all the info.

I'm on 20 odd hours at the moment, and my instructor hasn't mentioned anything about the Air Law exam yet.... but I'll see next week!

Tim Dawson
15th May 2007, 22:40
If you're on 20 hours you're nearly halfway through the course - it sounds like you're a little behind in your exams! Unless you're doing them in a funny order? Most people tend to take Air Law first since they need it for first solo.