PDA

View Full Version : Embraer

nano404
5th May 2007, 02:45
How comfortable are the Embraer E-Jets (170,175 and 190) and do you find any advantage of 4 abreast rather than 6? Curious.

obgraham
5th May 2007, 03:29
Ummmm: there's no center seat!
More comfy than RJ in my opinion. Best little jet out there now.

nano404
5th May 2007, 04:44
OK but the 190 would be compared to the 737?

mutt
5th May 2007, 05:14
The E170 is quite comfortable, but for me it isnt the question about 3 seats versus 2, it all has to do with seat pitch. We operate with between a 32" to 34" seat pitch, as a 6 ft person i have passengered 10 hours (3 flights) in 1 day. It was quite enjoyable.

Not sure if i could have enjoyed the same journey in a Flybe aircraft.

Mutt

chornedsnorkack
5th May 2007, 08:16
it all has to do with seat pitch. We operate with between a 32" to 34" seat pitch

What is the window pitch?

Also, while the ceiling height, 200 cm, is fine, the height beneath bins is about 144 cm for E-jets, while B737 has something like 158...163 cm. Which is fine while sitting... but is the difference felt when getting in and out of seat?

nivsy
5th May 2007, 10:13
I had a great trip on Flybe down to Malaga...front row. Great aeroplane....

Rwy in Sight
5th May 2007, 20:26
I flew on the Embraer E-170 demo aircraft (the one brought last year at the Farnborugh Air Show) and a similar one of Alitalia Express about a year a part. Funny but but both flights were very late...

Being on the short side I found most seats pretty confortable. The demo aircraft has verious seat pitch (IIRC for 38 in to 28 in) and all of them are confortable.
Anyway I like the no-middle seat concept.

Rwy in Sight

boguing
5th May 2007, 21:33
My first time in one today. BMI Heathrow to Glasgow. Booking foul-up meant that my sis and I had to be upgraded to Business. Harumph, obviously. Must write a complaint letter.

So, board (and I'm 6'4"), and it's a wee bit short on the headroom. Get into second row seat, and when I can finally raise my head, see that I'm sitting behind my rich cousin, who's paid for his First Class seat. Har har.

As to the ride, fabulous, ver ver nice 'plane, seat pitch more than adequate for an hour (miles better than charters), and the best touchdown I've ever experienced. (Well done that man).

Just two questions though. When you look out at the nose from the departure lounge, it's a strikingly small diameter tube, so what is the maximum age/height for the Captain; and how does he get the First Officer to come up to the flight deck if he's needed?

perkin
6th May 2007, 00:36
If you were on BMI you were in an RJ-135 or 145 which is a quite different beast to the aircraft mentioned in the original post...Agree, a bit cramped for anyone over about 5'8" or so for moving about the cabin, but great once you're sitting, if a little bouncy in turbulence, and very smooth on landing and taxiing.

And the first officer sits in the flight deck with the captain... :confused:

nano404
6th May 2007, 04:00
and how does he get the First Officer to come up to the flight deck if he's needed?And the first officer sits in the flight deck with the captain... :confused:I got confused myself. The first officer is in the flight deck, he doesn't sit in the back and occasionally check-up on the Captain, I would hope.

No middle seat sounds great. Bombardier C-Series is supposed to be in 3-2/2-3 seating config., can't remember which but it wont come out till another lifetime:( (6 years, maybe more with all the delays they put on it for the CRJ series)

The E-Jets remind me of large Business jets, which they probably are, still great looking though. Pro Embraer.:p

boguing
6th May 2007, 10:25
Ermmm I was attempting humour. Sorry. It just that the nose looks about the right size for my ten year old. On his own.

WHBM
6th May 2007, 10:36
Embraer made the right decision to go for an altogether larger aircraft size rather than just do a bit of a stretch as Bombardier did. After great sales success by both Embraer and Bombardier with their RJs (approx 1,000 units each), the bottom fell out of the market astoundingly quickly and both got left with unsold stock and competition from a lot of almost new aircraft parked up.

This has happened repeatedly, with US Commuter carriers ordering large fleets and then dumping them. First it was 19-seat turboprops, then they dropped those and restocked with 35-50 seaters, then they dumped all those for the RJs. I just wonder if the same will happen with the larger Embraers.

nano404
6th May 2007, 23:24
:ok: Yeah it was a good decision.

This has happened repeatedly, with US Commuter carriers ordering large fleets and then dumping them. First it was 19-seat turboprops, then they dropped those and restocked with 35-50 seaters, then they dumped all those for the RJs. I just wonder if the same will happen with the larger Embraers.

The 190 should be immune from this 'dumping' due to it's size, it's more of a 737 alternative (smaller ones that is).

nivsy
6th May 2007, 23:54
Blimey!! Are loads with BMI so bad that they put on Emb 135/145 on the GLA-LHR these days? (see post No 8) Just shows you what LOCO can do....and when i think back over the years of what a wonderful service you used to get with Midland on that route.......suppose you even pay for your coffee as well....anyway off topic....but sad in a funny kinda way:eek:

nano404
7th May 2007, 02:56
Not all routes stay healthy I'm afraid. What a/c used to fly that route?

nivsy
7th May 2007, 07:33
The Embrs must be only at certain times of the day - or on certain days. In the good old days DC9's then B737's flew the route. Only last year I was on a BMI A321 on lunch time flight from LHR to GLA. I assume they still fly a mixture of Airbus on it - thats why i find it amazing they have gone to a commuter jet on Heathrow. Should bring back the hot breakfasts, lunch and dinners!!...when i think back now the cabin staff were great then!

Nivsy

boguing
7th May 2007, 11:09
Ah but thanks to the upgrade, I did get a hot breakfast, and good it was too.

chornedsnorkack
7th May 2007, 15:41
No middle seat sounds great. Bombardier C-Series is supposed to be in 3-2/2-3 seating config., can't remember which
Is it supposed to be just one of them? DC-9 has both, depending strictly on the convenience of airline (with galley placement).
but it wont come out till another lifetime (6 years, maybe more with all the delays they put on it for the CRJ series)

5 abreast... comfortable seating... 2 new advanced engines underwing...

Sounds like Sukhoi Superjet. When is SSJ rollout?

The E-Jets remind me of large Business jets, which they probably are,

Not yet. Lineage 1000 is not yet out.

Whereas CRJ is a business jet - derivative of Canadair Challenger...

nano404
7th May 2007, 16:37
Not yet. Lineage 1000 is not yet out.

Forgot about that, I know the E-jets aren't Business jets. Everyone is dipping into the business jet market. With large ones too. The BBJs probably started off the (L/XL) Business jet trend with the 737, 747 and 787 style BBJs, Airbus' A319CJ, The Lineage 1000 as you mentioned. Wonder how they cut into the profits of the smaller yet still large G5s and Global Express a/c, though G5s are still very popular.

Whereas CRJ is a business jet - derivative of Canadair Challenger

You mean Challenger is the Business jet derivative of the CRJ.

OFBSLF
7th May 2007, 19:16
You mean Challenger is the Business jet derivative of the CRJ.I thought the Challenger came out long, long before the CRJ. So I believe it is the other way around...

WHBM
7th May 2007, 20:24
The Embrs must be only at certain times of the day - or on certain days. In the good old days DC9's then B737's flew the route. Only last year I was on a BMI A321 on lunch time flight from LHR to GLA. I assume they still fly a mixture of Airbus on it - thats why i find it amazing they have gone to a commuter jet on Heathrow. Should bring back the hot breakfasts, lunch and dinners!!...when i think back now the cabin staff were great then!
BMI schedule the Embraers on Heathrow-Glasgow only on Saturdays, although their overall strategy seems to be continual downsizing. Heathrow-Aberdeen is now 50% Embraers on weekdays. Meanwhile the BMI A321s have all been sold off, the last going in the last month or so. They have taken delivery of several new A319s over the last year as replacements - another downsizing.

Yes BMI used to fill the A321s. That was in the days before Easyjet. In more recent times they were only achieving good-looking loads by pricing below cost.