PDA

View Full Version : Best Ear Protection?

Park Brake Released
2nd May 2007, 14:45
Well having just passed my Class One and being told that my hearing is low for a 35 yr old, I am aiming to get some proper ear defenders. The "in ear" type I have are pretty crap, especially when the APU is running.
Anyone know of a decent set and where to get them (I'm Gatwick based), but I suppose t'internet is best place. SNR levels seem to be quoted everywhere, but I don't know which is required.

Cheers for any advice,

PBR

spannersatcx
2nd May 2007, 15:48
we use these peltor (http://www.best4headsets.co.uk/product/asp/ProdID/3689/CtgID//af/page.htm)

Coffee Black None
2nd May 2007, 19:57
1. Get a Sennheiser Active Noise Cancelling headset.
2. Go to a shop where they sell hearing aids. They can take a wax mold of your inner ear and have ear plugs made for you to your exact specs.
Costs around €200,- (Tell them your type of aircraft).

Litebulbs
2nd May 2007, 21:19
If its for walk rounds, I've got some custom make in ear defenders. I went to a local Audiologist who took a mould of my ears. The defenders were made from silicone and have a filter embedded to allow voice to pass. Very comfortable to use and the total cost was £60. If you are flush, a few friend of mine have the electronic versions, but they are £700.

Horsham Hearing Centre
22 Worthing Road, Horsham
West Sussex, RH12 1SL
Tel: 01403 218700
Fax: 01403 218701

http://www.ormerodhearing.co.uk/professionalhearingservice/

slip and turn
2nd May 2007, 21:41
Cost isn't really an issue ... your employer should be pleased to provide the necessary equipment :ok:

Litebulbs
2nd May 2007, 21:50
Almost all employers supply the required safety equipment. But take a look at your uniform shirt. It fits the requirements, but you would not wear it on a night out, well I hope you wouldn't!

slip and turn
2nd May 2007, 22:40
Are we talking working shirts or night off/out shirts ? If it was an unsafe working shirt then I'd definitely ask for another one, preferably Valentino or Trussardi.

As we know, the cumulative effect of excessive noise exposure and the tiny 'safe daily exposure' periods at some typical apron noise levels when unprotected, means that anyone with less than the optimum protection is losing part of their hearing permanently and unnecessarily for every second they are exposed.

I've often found it hard to understand why the best quallity ear protection isn't issued as standard, that a culture of blind ignorance and/or not bothering is seemingly the accepted norm on some aprons, and that people like the OP are so conspicuously left to their own devices.

Maybe as we grow older we become wiser about such things :ugh:
What is 'fitting the requirements' ? I've yet to meet anyone that really knows but plenty who will point to what is provided and say that's it....Say Again?....I said That's It!