PDA

View Full Version : CAA Backtracks on Lifejackets and ELT's

Mike Cross
1st May 2007, 14:50
The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has today announced general exemptions from the Air Navigation Order (ANO) for light aircraft engaged on non-public transport flights.

The exemptions cover the requirement in the ANO to carry an approved Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) and also the requirement for approved lifejackets, life rafts and supplementary oxygen equipment.

The original change was the result of consultations conducted between April 2004 and March 2005 and a Letter of Intent issued on 29 March 2005; this letter resulted in the change to the ANO this March. Details of the consultation were posted on the CAA website, where the relevant documents are still available for viewing.

The original intention of the ANO change for lifejackets, life raft and supplementary oxygen equipment had been to require suitable equipment rather than approved equipment. Whilst the carriage of lifejackets, life-rafts and supplemental oxygen will still be required, the CAA intends to issue a general exemption stating that this equipment need not be approved. Similarly a general exemption will be issued permitting a Personal Locator Beacon to be carried, in lieu of an Emergency Locator Transmitter, whilst a further review is undertaken.

For media enquiries please contact the CAA press office on 020 7453 6030.

Source here. (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&newstype=n&mode=detail&nid=1457)

Fuji Abound
1st May 2007, 15:12
Yes, what sensible news. I am reassured that these people know what they are doing (some of the time, anyway).

I wrote to the CAA at some length (as did doubtless others) and it is nice to think they may have listened to the comments made.

:)

bookworm
1st May 2007, 15:24
"Backtracks" is a bit harsh, Mike! They've made it pretty clear that this was an unintended consequence. Good recovery, I think.

rustle
1st May 2007, 15:33
Should we mention GPS approaches in this thread or start another?

IO540
1st May 2007, 15:50
A very sensible move by the CAA, which avoids it looking like a bunch of very silly people.

Mike Cross
1st May 2007, 15:51
Backtrack as in they made a boo-boo and are correcting it it. They write the ANO and they should have foreseen the consequences.

I wonder to a certain extent whether the CAA has competence in survival technology. There are existing International Standards for this kit and testing regimes for it that have been drawn up by international maritime agencies that have far greater experience and competence than the UK aviation regulator has. That is after all the point of standards, someone else has done the work so you don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Fuji Abound
1st May 2007, 19:32
Out of interest I wonder which is worse:

An unintended consequence caused by incompetent drafting

or

an intended consequence followed by admitting the intention was wrong and changing it?