PDA

View Full Version : Sleap

Slow Progress
27th Apr 2007, 11:34
Hi to all,

I'm am seriously looking at joining Shropshire Aero Club in Sleap to complete my ppl.

I have visited the club, had a look around and enjoyed some lovely food in the restaurant. The aircraft look clean and tidy and the people seem friendly enough.

I was wondering if anybody has any comments on the place either positive or negative that I should take into account?

Thanks in advance

Slow Progress

wsmempson
29th Apr 2007, 10:09
I flew in yesterday - a nice place indeed. If I were looking to complete a ppl I would try to pick somewhere with a tower, rather than simply radio, as the busier - more disciplined - environment will stand you in good stead for the future.

DX Wombat
29th Apr 2007, 13:23
wsmempson - you sound as if you aren't too familiar with Sleap. There should be NO difficulty with radio discipline as Sleap is within the Shawbury CMATZ and Shawbury ATCOs prefer everyone flying to and from Sleap to talk to them - plenty of discipline available there and they insist VERY politely (and with seemingly infinite patience on some occasions) on correct readbacks, terminology etc whilst remaining pleasant and helpful. I don't fly from Sleap but have flown through Shawbury CMATZ on numerous occasions. Shawbury is a very busy place which handles a lot of civil traffic as well as military (both on separate frequencies) and has both the Military Helicopter School and ATCO School.
Slow Progress if you fly midweek you will certainly get plenty of practice in talking to MATZ ATCOs and won't have any of the irrational fears some people seem to have about requesting ,then flying,MATZ transits etc.

wsmempson
29th Apr 2007, 16:31
I'm as familiar with Sleap as flying there yesterday will allow....

Quite true about Shawbury as Sleap is within the zone, so lots of practice to be had asking for zone transits and the like. My experience of military controllers is that they're a great bunch of folk, who go out of their way to be helpful.

;)

However, if all your lessons are at the weekend, you won't be speaking to Shawbury very much as, like most British military establishements, they're closed by and large at weekends! A tip to any invaders - do it at a weekend if you want a quiet life!

tmmorris
29th Apr 2007, 18:50
Purely as a flying-in visitor, I think Sleap is a friendly, well-run place, and the cafe is always busy, too. These are all good signs and I would certainly be trying to find out more, if I were you.

Good part of the country to learn in, too - plenty of clear airspace.

Tim

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Apr 2007, 20:09
Sleap's lovely. But so's Barton - and Sleap's quite a drive from Manchester.

DX Wombat
29th Apr 2007, 22:55
Sleap's lovely that says it all. If you are happy with what you found at Sleap then go there. It would most certainly be my preference if I had to choose between Sleap and Barton. It isn't all that far to travel. I travelled regularly from West Yorkshire to do my PPL at Halfpenny Green and it was well worth it. I still travel there to do my flying. :ok:

Dan Winterland
29th Apr 2007, 23:13
I once flew from Sleap to Little Snoring in Norfolk. Made a great log book entry!

Cumulogranite
30th Apr 2007, 06:34
I love Sleap to bits, a great place to fly into. Good facilities, the best bacon butties around and even a little museum to look at. Not too great a fan of the flying club there, more a personal thing than anything else but when I was looking at learning there it was a case of you'll fly in what we want you to. I prefer 4 seaters as I am a little on the large side, but aparently the committee wouldn't let me learn in a 4 seater!!!

Other than that the place comes highly reccommended, if a little out of the way by road!

Slow Progress
30th Apr 2007, 16:56
Thanks for taking the time to reply everybody,

I have relocated to Crewe so I am a lot closer to Sleap than Barton. Also regarding the radio, I feel quite happy with that as I have had lessons from both Liverpool and Blackpool in the past so zone transits shouldn't really be too difficult for me to master.

All flying will be midweek due as I'm a shift worker plus there is a discount midweek anyway!!

Once again thanks a lot.

Looks like Sleap is the place to be.

Slow Progress

Wessex Boy
30th Apr 2007, 20:29
I flew from Sleap about 18 years ago during my Crewman Training at Strawberry, we did a sneak peek at all of the confined areas we would be tested on.:E
Great area to fly in and very nicely maintained aircraft in those day

gowaz
30th Apr 2007, 21:38
http://www.shropshireaeroclub.com/index.html
GREAT PLACE.
CLEAN SERVICEABLE AIRCRAFT, PLENTY OF THEM AND YOU CAN LEARN TO "FLY" WITHOUT ALL THE BLAH ON THE RADIO.
A - N - C.
A REAL MIX OF CLUB MEMBERS, A/C OWNERS AND OPERATORS. IT IS A "CLUB" THAT TEACHES PEOPLE TO FLY NOT AN AIRFIELD WITH LOADS OF BUSINESS'.
:)

tmmorris
2nd May 2007, 20:18
Dan Winterland's post reminds me to point out that Sleap rhymes with 'tape' and not with 'beep' - you hear it wrong on the radio from most visiting pilots, sadly.

Tim

flybymike
2nd May 2007, 23:29
You say eether, I say either..etc.....!

contrail
13th May 2007, 14:44
Sleap has great carrot cake in cafe......... yum yum :E