PDA

View Full Version : 1st solo

Jizman
23rd Apr 2007, 11:34
Sitting in the crew room of my local airport after just going on my first solo! :) Just wondered if there are any wierd or wonderful stories about peoples 1st solos!

mutleyfour
23rd Apr 2007, 12:07
Congratulations, a most noteable day.

I spent mine singing to myself rather nervously and sadly have no tales of woe. Pretty uneventful but exactly as I wanted.

c-bert
23rd Apr 2007, 12:20
Congrats!

Seem to remember humming Ride of the Valkyries all through mine! Pulled off a stunning approach only to flare too early and have a rather energetic touch down. Still one of the worst landings I've had, before or since.... :ugh:

Lafyar Cokov
23rd Apr 2007, 12:48
Seem to remember humming Ride of the Valkyries all through mine!

I wasn't quite so grand - I think I was singing "Catch the Pidgeon"

c-bert
23rd Apr 2007, 13:00
The illusion of grandeur is dismissed somewhat when one considers that I was flying a tatty Piper Warrior that was older than me. :}

Founder
23rd Apr 2007, 13:06
Congratulations!! =)
A student at the School where I studied did his first solo in a DA20 Katana with the registration no SE-LYB. He took off on runway 19 and at 400 ft his engine died... He did a turn and landed on the horse racing circuit just south of the airport.
I can promise you that he's never going to forget that day... He finished his PPL but I havn't after that...
My first solo was the best day of my life, I took off on RWY 19 ESGP in a brand new DA40 TDI named SE-LYA. Just as I took off and selected Flaps Up i sort of screamed WOOOW =) I did 2 touch and goes, then ended up in a holding while RyanAir was making a landing. In total there were 5 aircraft in the air waiting to land, I was no 5. My first solo with a total of 2 touch and goes and 1 landing lasted for about 1 hour... =)

Saintsman
23rd Apr 2007, 13:50
He did a turn and landed on the horse racing circuit just south of the airport.

Dodgy or what?

I went solo after 5 days of training. Only supposed to do 3 touch and goes but I could have gone round until I ran out of fuel, I felt that good.

I was brought back down to earth the following day though when the instructors proved I knew nothing......

BANANASBANANAS
23rd Apr 2007, 13:57
First solo was on JP5A at Barkston Heath. My lookout must have been fairly miserable as I couldn't take my eyes off the empty seat to my right. Frightened fartless I was!:ok:

Jizman
23rd Apr 2007, 14:24
I was singing "walking on sunshine"! Had the same effect on the landing and almost balloned but after being 'well solo' on gliders I quickly recovered. Highlight is that I managed to beat my dad to solo! 3 hours 35!!!!

boswell bear
23rd Apr 2007, 14:27
I wrote off a Cessna 152 on my second solo which was 5 minutes after my first solo :cool:

Lukeafb1
23rd Apr 2007, 14:47
1960 in a T21. No touch and goes in that brick! Right first time or a very long walk and a boll@!ing from the QFI.:)

doubledolphins
23rd Apr 2007, 15:17
Sung my heart out on my first glider solo. Don't remember too much about my first powered one apart from the "Night Fighter"s I had to drink after it.

One point though. When I was learning and then during my time as an instructor, students never flew again that day after a first solo. I think boswell bear might understand why!

windriver
23rd Apr 2007, 15:51
Well done Jizman...

One point though. When I was learning and then during my time as an instructor, students never flew again that day after a first solo. I think boswell bear might understand why!

Couldn`t agree more doubledolphins. I rarely worried about sending anyone off on their First Solo... it was often the next two or three that tended to draw a crowd.

oli,_the_original
23rd Apr 2007, 19:07
I remember mine, almost as gd as getting my licence!! I'll remember it til the day i die, so much fun, sat there in the circuit hoping some retard would crash into the runway so i could divert:}

samuraimatt
23rd Apr 2007, 19:13
hoping some retard would crash into the runwayHmmm :ugh:

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Apr 2007, 20:18
Just out of curiosity Sam your first solo was when :rolleyes:

advocatusDIABOLI
23rd Apr 2007, 20:19
1st Solo- 'venture' Glider, Linton- ATC Too Short, Over in a moment. First 'Real' Solo- Chipmunk, Swinderby. First Proper Solo- JP3a, RAF Dishforth. First 'Fast' Solo- Hawk, Valley. First 'Weapons' Solo, Brawdy. First Fast Jet (Real) 'Solo', many years later on exchange.

Advo

airborne_artist
23rd Apr 2007, 20:40
She was called Sally, and was a nurse. Everything you'd expect from a nurse and more :E

Lyco360
23rd Apr 2007, 23:31
Congrats Jizman!! What were you in??

My first solo was at Abingdon Airfield in the trusty Vigilant! Fourth first solo so to speak was at Brize. How old are those Cherokees?? A decade or two older than me I would guess, great club tho!

Lyco

oldfella
24th Apr 2007, 01:27
Congratulations Jizman. Savour the memory.

Spent a lifetime climbing in and out of aircraft but still remember first solo.

Ex F111
24th Apr 2007, 03:11
Agree with all of the above....

Pt Cook - CT-4.

Never could land the Plastic Parrot! Little fart of an aeroplane!

...Still Melbourne was a good Friday out.

BEagle
24th Apr 2007, 06:14
Lyco360, 'JP, the oldest, is now 33 years old and still going strong! Thanks for your kind comments.

My first solo was at Merryfield in 1967 in a RAFGSA T21. The cable back-released - it was subsequently found that the Ottfur had pulled out slightly and was causing premature release. I also discovered that the aircraft floated further with an instructor!

Premature release on first solo. Sound familiar, a_a?

airborne_artist
24th Apr 2007, 06:34
Premature release on first solo. Sound familiar, a_a?

So sorry - thought this was the first jump thread :ok: , which was at Hullavington from a ghastly balloon contraption.

First solo was in a 150 at Leavesden - which dates it. First mil solo was at Roborough the next year.

I remember a solo navex stude also at Luton Flying Club on an RAF FlySchol - he'd be told to land on 00, and also told to remain N of the main (09/27) - he finally made contact with the ground about 2/3rds down the rw, nosewheel first, at some speed, with the obvious results, poor fellow.

MostlyHarmless
24th Apr 2007, 09:50
Mighty Chippy @ Swinderby. Out pops QFI and scampers up the tower whilst I trundle off to line up. Get aloft and find it climbs like a rocket without 15 stone of V-Bomber pilot in the boot - was turning d/wind before I knew what was happening!

Happy days...

(Unit of measure "Rocket" has been re-defined over the years and now is roughly on par with an Estes C-Class (http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est1615.htm))

Regie Mental
24th Apr 2007, 10:02
First mistake I did was to do my engine runs right in front of teh tower where I'd just dropped off the intstructor. ATC told me to do them at the end of the runway.

Once airborne I tapped the empty seat next to me and sang, if memory serves me correctly, a Scorpions song. Cocking up the first landing I went around again which enabled, much to my chagrin, another first soloist who took off after me to land before me. Determined to get the old Bulldog down come what may I ignored the first bounce which observers estimated was 30 feet high. A further four bounces followed with copious left rudder to keep her straight, the watching QFI saying ' Who the f**k let him in the air'. Shi**ing bricks I got a round of applause from the others studes whilst my instructor, who had a fierce temper, simply scowled and said 'well done'. Not sure he meant it though.

Neptunus Rex
24th Apr 2007, 10:24
Jet Provost Mk 3, Wymeswold 1964. I can still recall every detail, especially the undercarriage failing to deploy on my first, too energetic, push of the button. Recycling did the trick (just like the Airbus computers many years later) and all was well. The mistake? Going solo late on a Friday afternoon! Cost me a fortune in the Schwyerston Officers' Mess!
Almost, but not quite, eclipsed by watching my son fly his first solo and being allowed to congratulate him from the Control Tower at Parafield, South Australia.
Treasured memories.
Neppy:cool:

Zoom
24th Apr 2007, 10:56
In a trusty Aircoupe in 1965. I kept bursting into song and then checking behind the seat to make sure nobody was listening, as I also did when I went for my first legal car solo the following month.

The Aircoupe is still at that airfield and in fantastic nick. The car?? One of BMC's finest, so you have 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

justone26
24th Apr 2007, 11:59
It was in a Katana da20 in Dundee, Tayside aviation as I remember. I sung "I feel good " by James Brown at the top of my voice. Great Day!:)

Zero feet, decending
24th Apr 2007, 12:24
Circa mid 70's, kirby Cadet Mk III. 3 solo's to qualify. I sang all the way around and they went like a dream. Sadly, that was the last time I flew in a glider.

3 March 07, 1st powered solo. VERY scary, but went as advertised. Was too nervous to sing. 2nd solo, a couple of weeks later, was very scary- left a lot of rubber on the runway! :uhoh:

Hamish 123
24th Apr 2007, 12:55
JP3, Church Fenton, September '83. Impressed the hell out of watching fellow studes when I did my brake test after starting to taxi - had miles too much power on - could almost smell the burning rubber . . . . then spent the whole of the circuit with my left leg shaking uncontrollably. Don't think it affected my landing too much . . .

Snow Dog
24th Apr 2007, 13:01
24 years ago and remember it like it was this morning, despite 'firsts solos' on many other types.

Cessna 150 out of Norwich - Initially a little surprised when the instructor got out and told me to stay! The little aeroplane and I wandered to the end of the runway, we lined up and I applied power. The aeroplane, being a Cessna, knew what to do and we were airborne before I really had time to come to terms with it. It was then I realised I was really solo and, more to the point, I had to land it. Very strange with no-one next to you. All over far too quickly, but the memory lasts for ever.

Like so many things...

Well done to you. Hope it leads to more.

SD

Raymond Ginardon
24th Apr 2007, 13:04
A while ago for me in a JP - don't remember first day solo, but remember BOTH legs giving it the 'Elvis' on my first night solo. Was phecking terrified!

BEagle
24th Apr 2007, 14:56
First solo in a single seat aeroplane (OK, except for 3 min in a Kirby Tutor), was very memorable indeed!

The glorious Hunter 'GT 6'... Take a standard Hunter F Mk 6, remove the heavy 4 x 30mm Aden gun pack and the draggy ‘Sabrina’ link collectors, add a TACAN so at least you know where you are, then paint the whole thing in go-faster high gloss ‘raspberry ripple’ polyurethane paint and there you have it.

After passing the simulator check and the T7 dual rides, finally the day came on 9 Dec 75 to fly a real single seat fighter for the first time! Get kitted up in goon suit and anti-‘g’ suit, then out to the aeroplane parked on ‘Hunter beach’ at Valley. Walk round, prod, poke, squint, then up the ladder and into the cockpit. ‘Fitz’, a CFS trapper visiting 4FTS keeps a fatherly eye on proceedings from the top of the ladder as I truss myself into a maze of webbing which would satisfy the most earnest bondage fetishist. Finally it’s time to lift the gangbar and turn on the batteries. First surprise - there’s no intercom sidetone. Because, of course, there’s no-one to talk to in a single-seater, stupid! Do the checks then wave finger at the groundcrew and Press the Button. The Avpin starter works as advertised and the smell of burnt iso-propyl-nitrate fills the air. But all is well, gennies on , radio on, IFF on, power controls on. ‘Fitz’ smiles and disappears, the ladder is removed and it’s time to call for taxy. Next surprise, it’s so much easier to taxy than the T7 and before long I’m at the holding point. Take-off clearance received, it's on to RW32 and off we go. Power up, quick stir of the controls then set top left and off we go. A brief ‘da-da-da’ from the bleed valves but initial acceleration seems much like it was in the T7. But then the extra oomph of the big Avon makes itself felt and there’s an almighty roar from somewhere behind as the IAS increases rapidly. Suddenly we’re airborne - Brakes on, gear up, flaps up, gear lights out, pressurisation master on.....then at 500ft start the right turn onto 140° to intercept the 100° radial. But we’re already passing 1000 ft and going like a train! Throttle to max continuous and adjust to 370 KIAS -except we’re already doing over 400! Pitch up, nail the speed, there’s the radial, turn left breathe out. ATC ask whether I’m ever going to change to Approach! Oops, to Stud 2 then up the radial towards FL 200. At around 10 000 ft, remember to set 1013..... Finally catch up with the beast at FL 200 and check position. How can I be so far away from base already? Aim in a safe direction, think ‘OK - let’s see what she’ll do’ - set max continuous and M0.9something comes up amazingly quickly. Tweak the control column back and the altimeter goes bananas - as do ATC as I’m in the upper airspace without clearance! Then settle down to some aeros and max rate turns before aiming back at Valley for a QGH to PAR. That all goes OK, so I roll and then out go to initials for a visual run-in-and-break. Overtake a couple of Gnats, call ‘initials’, then idle power, airbrake out....70-80° angle of bank and 23° flap on the break. Roll out, airbrake in, gear down - and the controls go all stiff as the hydraulic pump can’t cope with both things together. So a bit of power and all is well. Call ‘final’, 38° flap and pitch into the final turn. Then full flap, slow down to Vat plus 10 and another nice roller. Full power - lovely loud noise - another circuit and it’s time to land. Turn off, taxy in and shut down, grinning from ear to ear. My logbook says ‘December 10 1975 Hunter F6 XF386 Self / Solo Ex RF4 0:50 First Pilot (Captain), 0:05 actual IF, QGH/PAR, 3 landings. But that hardly describes such an experience!

And what of XF386? She lived on for nearly 20 more years before being scrapped at Otterburn in 1996 after 40 years loyal service. A cruel death for such a lovely lady - I hope she’s up there in Hunter heaven.......

EastMids
24th Apr 2007, 15:28
Good stuff and congratulations...

C150, 12 years ago. I remember:

1. Looking down and seeing the wheels stop rotating after takeoff and thinking to myself "Well, you better get this one right"

2. Had got used to where the old bucket reached circuit height (rather than regularly looking at the altimeter). Looked at the alt at the "usual" place in the circuit and - "Whoa, I'm 300' too high!!!" Instructor didn't point out that it'd go up much faster one-up! A rapid 300' decent ensued, with me hoping the instructor on the ground hadn't noticed my unauthodox height control!

3. Getting into the car to drive back to the house afterwards, The Beach Boys "Kokomo" happened to be on the car radio - not my usual choice, but WTF! That song even now still reminds me of the euphoric feeling I had at the time of "having done it"!

Reflecting on that event now, I'm left feeling amazed at how little I knew about flying and how little experience I had back then - I almost wonder if it was more luck than judgement that I'm here now! No doubt, if I'm still flying in another 12 years time I'll look back on now and think much the same.
A

BackPacker
24th Apr 2007, 15:32
I've got two first solos in my logbook.

First one was in N230FT, a PA-28-161. I taxied out (with the intent to fly, obviously) but the aircraft failed the run-up checks - mag drop of 200 rpm on left. Tried to clear it, to no avail, so had to taxi back. But since I moved the aircraft with the intent to fly, I could write it in my logbook.

The second was in N250FT, about 15 minutes later. Three full-stop-taxibacks without any problems. I don't remember much of it anymore. I guess I spent all my adrenaline on the first first solo. By the time I taxied back, N230FT already had its failed spark plug replaced.

vectis lady
24th Apr 2007, 15:56
first solo in a c152 at wolverhampton, the instructor said can you do that again on your own? i said yes no probs he told me she would climb quicker with only one on board and left me to it, what i can remember most clearly is hearing my own breathing thru the headset while i was waiting to take off - it was so quiet! i also remember thinking as i put the power on that i was going to have to land the bugger now, luckily the landing was the best i had ever done,

The next day i woke up and was terrified at the thought of all the things that could have gone wrong and that i had no idea how to deal with, i very nearly stopped flying there and then, it took a fair while and a very patient instructor at a different club before i was happy to fly on my own,

Jizman - well done on ur first solo, just wait until your QXC its when i actually felt like a proper pilot for the first time

approach_shortfinals
24th Apr 2007, 16:43
Well done on the solo.

I remember my first solo, hot summers evening in sunny Jersey, perfect for flying. I was bricking it all the way round saying to myself you got yourself into this, now you have to get out of it. As I was coming onto finals, the runway lights blinked on as I was landing into a evening sun. When I landed and was taxiing off the runway I was congratulated by ATC and asked to hold to let a BA737 pass, then the BA captain congratulated my as he was passing and reminisced on his first solo. I could barely say thank you I was so delighted, what a day.

flyingsteve55
24th Apr 2007, 16:51
Concur with the above. My first solo is still fresh in my mind but how it is remains a mystery to me because it seemed like the quickest circuit I've ever done. Remember AFIS saying "you can breathe now" after I had cleared the runway. Nothing to report really on this one but as Vectis Lady says wait til your QXC.

That is the one that really sticks in the memory, Cranfield on a very busy weekday and Gloustershire equally busy. The best bit, if I can call it that, was when calling Glos Approach they were on 04 so mind gets set up for the join and circuit. By the time I have contacted tower they have switched to 22! I got the right side of the runway for downwind but it needed a gentle "you seem to be heading the wrong way" from ATC to get me heading in the right direction. No harm was done fortunately (apart from a slight dent in the pride) because it was only a hint of a turn but they were clearly watching me. Great fun and a great experience.

Well done and here's to your next challenge.

PompeyPaul
24th Apr 2007, 17:44
How my first solo circuit was flown much, much better than my 2nd solo circuit, which was flown with many more hours logged.

I can remember every second of my first solo, I'll never forget it, it's something that no matter how bad things in your life are, you'll think back to and smile.

flyingsteve55
24th Apr 2007, 18:01
but are you the same PompeyPaul who frequents Beesotted? - Apologies to all for this side track

PompeyPaul
24th Apr 2007, 18:53
Sorry, no I am not.

MarcJF
24th Apr 2007, 20:13
Congratulations on your solo.

I'll never forget mine, done at Cranfield in the summer of 2003. I was just 10 hours into my PPL, had flown around a bit for the afternoon and done a few circuits. We landed on R22 as it was then and my instructor asked me to pull over, got onto the tower and announced my fist solo and I was off. A mixture of nerves and euphoria but a day i'll never forget. Cranfield is quite busy at times so it was just the one circuit that afternoon.

shortstripper
24th Apr 2007, 21:20
Well done ... nothing like it is there?

Mine was in a Blanik glider singing of all things "Lilly the pink" When I got down, everybody was laughing .... I didn't realise the sound could carry so far! :\

SS :ok:

Katherine Alexandra
24th Apr 2007, 21:48
Congrats on the solo!

Mine was almost a year ago and 10 minutes in length but, save the radio calls, I spent the whole 10 minutes of it utter profanities under my breath. Now, 5 or so solo flights (long ones, at that) later, I've only just stopped swearing every time my instructor gets out of the ac...

RudeNot2
25th Apr 2007, 16:15
Nice one Jizman keep going..

My first solo was 27th July 2006 from Cumbernauld in G-BUMP (PA 28-181). I had just been up for a regular circuit bash with my instructor and got down taxied back to the apron and out he came with the "fancy doing one yourself" line..

After an abundance of profanities, from myself - not the instructor, the door was closed and latched and head down to the checklist. I think I went through the checklist a couple of times before calling up the tower to say I was off to do the powerchecks.. stuttering all the way..

What a feeling rolling down the runway and lifting off - punching the air (where the instructor should have been!) and even more profanities prior to the downwind checks.. Settled down and concentrated for the landing which must have been ok as I survived and someone took the plane out after me!!

Pulled up outside the hangar and shutdown and my instructor came back down from the tower.. Picture taken on mobile phone of me looking relieved / exhausted / exhillarated and then I jumped down and kissed the tarmac!

I will never forget that day.. On the way home afterwards - G'nR's Paradise City blaring out of the car stereo - some coffin dodger almost ran me off the road - driving down the wrong side! Think the sky is safer!!

30 odd hours in now and looking forward to going solo moreso...

Jizman
25th Apr 2007, 17:15
Yeah I got exactly the same 'fancy doing one on your own' line! Just spent the whole afternoon studying air law:confused: :bored: :zzz: Got most of it, just trying to get to grips with the airspaces!

alvin-sfc
25th Apr 2007, 18:04
A sweaty palm a pounding heart,my chest feels really tight,
I must keep calm and do somehow this my first solo flight.
Iv'e called the tower I'm cleared to go to line up at the holding zone,
a burst of power and now I know what thousands before me have known.
At 55 knots she unsticks clean,the tension starts to deplete, I look over
my shoulder then look away quick at the sight of the empty seat.

I call downwind,I'm nearly there,I'm doing ok so far, we're all alone
up in the air, just me and "Bravo-Papa"

On finals at last, full flap out, 65 knots on the clock, over the hedge
and without a doubt,a landing not many would knock.

So as I taxi in,a happy bloke, grinning like a fool,
this is the happiest day of my life, a bit like the day i left school.

Please forgive this bit of self-indulgence but I was "moved" to put my first-solo experience down on paper when I did mine on Dec 29th 1977.
It was in Chipmunk G-BDBP at Tollerton. I will never forget it .:ok:

White Bear
25th Apr 2007, 18:15
In a C152 in Minnesota. I was practicing touch and goes with my FI when he said “Make this one a full stop”. When I stopped he got out and said, “Off you go” then he closed the door and walked away. I was petrified. My legs started shaking on the rudder bar as I thought “Well you knew this was coming”.
Taxied to the runway, legs shaking all the way. After completing the requisite checks I taxied onto the runway and opened throttle. All was well until I pulled back gently on the yoke, as she lifted off I thought “Oh sh!t, now I have to land it!” Strangely it was about then that my legs stopped shaking.
3 uneventful full stops and taxi backs later it was all over, but my heart was still airborne.
I think it was 3 days before it rejoined me on the ground. I was 52 years old, and a pilot! :ok:
Regards,
White Bear.

Over_Shoot
25th Apr 2007, 21:24
Congrats.

I got a variation on the "fancy doing one on your own" theme, with "I think you've scared the S$%£ out of me enough....p£^s off!" It worked, I surivived and loving every second of it! I shall have to scare instructors more often.

OS

Biggles_77
26th Apr 2007, 21:45
My 1st solo was Yesterday - and it was awesome.. definetly an experience to remember for life. I think I flew the best I have ever flown on my own!. My circuit felt perfect and my landing was my best one yet.. kissed the runway.

high-hopes
26th Apr 2007, 23:05
My 1st solo was Yesterday - and it was awesome.. definetly an experience to remember for life. I think I flew the best I have ever flown on my own!. My circuit felt perfect and my landing was my best one yet.. kissed the runway.

If it was your first solo, it MUST have been the best you ever flown on your own !! LOL :)

RatherBeFlying
26th Apr 2007, 23:17
As many have noted, the feeling once having gotten the thing off the ground is ... whoops, now I have to land the thing:\

First flights in single-seat gliders get the butterflies up as you get to figure out the handling all by yourself real quick:uhoh:

Biggles_77
27th Apr 2007, 10:25
nice one high-hopes.. my mistake - was on the " come down " from flying solo and wrote a load of cobblers.... :ugh: