PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare for the command

kuwait340
12th Apr 2007, 10:14
hello all...

i am just wondering on how to prepare my self in order to cover all the aspects for the command training ...what to read...and what to concentrate on....

i am looking for as much inputs as you can { captains }

thanks for everything

Dogma
12th Apr 2007, 15:48
Do what comes naturally, stick to what you feel is right and be clear about it!

Above all be yourself. Know your Ops Manual Part A from front to back!

Enjoy

411A
12th Apr 2007, 16:30
Absolutely positively never EVER argue with the Training Captain that will be sitting in the RHS, for that upgrade flying portion.
Us'uns do not like to be argued with...:E

Dream Land
12th Apr 2007, 17:33
When are you scheduled to do the training, what time frame are we talking about? :confused:

kuwait340
13th Apr 2007, 06:24
time frame is around a year...as it will be first the command assessment flights...then the command training phases (sim+flights)...

during this time ...i want to prepare my self properly .

the more inputs from you guys ...the better..

thanks

Dream Land
13th Apr 2007, 08:45
I would have to assume that if your in line for command, you have flown with numerous individuals that you would either like to emulate or forget, take the best characteristics and form your own style, know the equipment and the FOM, for command training they will look for conservative decisions, make a decision and stick with it, don't waffle. Just my 2 cents.

kuwait340
13th Apr 2007, 09:46
great....

so decision making is what the tr.captains are looking for...

but i am also wondering what type of question would i be asked...generally...i know it would be different from a tr.capt to the other...i just need an idea.

Dream Land
13th Apr 2007, 10:17
Well once again, the trainer is not going to be looking for some highly technical item to find your weakness in system knowledge, he will want to see how you operate under the gun so to speak, fuel and diversion planning, safety and crew coordination, crew duty limitations, minimum crew required. Things more on an operational level, for instance, if a long departure delay takes place for whatever reason, what is the minimum fuel you can still depart with (before having to return to the gate), things of this nature, he knows you already know how to fly.

kuwait340
13th Apr 2007, 11:02
great stuff.....

well i have one question came on my mind....the EXTRA FUEL ...

sometimes i notice commanders...in case of a bad wx at dest...they take extra fuel...

say the total required fuel is 8000 KGS...for the A320...

he will say to the dispatcher to make it 9000KGS ...soem will take 1000 extra ..others will take 500...and some will take 2000 ...

but the question is ...based on what they define the extra fuel weight...why he took 1000 instead of 500...why not 300 more..or 400 ?

thanks

Dream Land
13th Apr 2007, 11:26
Well, that's another can of worms all together, why exactly. Intuition, comfort factor, local knowledge, and your airline's fuel policy, are your CFP's accurate.

kuwait340
13th Apr 2007, 11:59
yes ....the CFP's are pretty accurate ....

what i know ...there is no limit for how much extra fuel you can uplift...if all the TOW and the LW are not governing ...

so extra fuel uplift is a matter of knowledge and information ....because i remember recently ...i was flying with one of the Tr.capts ...and the departure and destination weather were bad...so he asked me to decide on the total fuel....so i said i want to tanker more 500 kgs...then he said (why exactly 500 ?) why not 1000 or even more...so i said i just need more fuel but infact i don't know how much more should i take...then he said " son ...in these kind of situations where bad weather is in the departure and arrivale airport...the minimum extra fuel you should think of is a 30 min holding fuel" ...and at that flight according to the CFP the 30 min fuel was 1100KGS...

by the way....i am flying the A320...does any one here have the latest AIRBUS flight crew training manual (FCTM) the latest revision...the one i have were written in may 1998...there must be a newer version...looking forward to have it.

thanks

Dream Land
13th Apr 2007, 12:13
Well I'm sure your trainers will ask you about this subject, use your local knowledge and SOP as a guide, just be prepared with an answer, don't forget to mention the fact that you will also consult your FO :ok: . If your at a top notch operation they will usually include extra fuel, if it's a tankering sector, know how to compute this. How much fuel do you burn during an approach and missed approach, questions, questions. I wish some one like Old Smokey or 411 would speak up. :\

kuwait340
13th Apr 2007, 12:30
thank you guys...

waiting for further inputs

411A
13th Apr 2007, 15:51
You called, Dream Land?:}
In addition to my one comment above, and as regards fuel uplift...one thing is for sure, if that new Captain shaves the fuel too close, he might find himself back in the RHS, pronto.
When the weather turns to c*ap, the last thing a Captain wants to worry about is a shortage of fuel in tanks.

Beakor
13th Apr 2007, 21:40
Be confident, make sensible decisions based on the best facts available then stick with them unless it becomes blatantly obvious you're wrong. Shouldn't happen too often but when it does, figure out why you got it wrong and then go through the process again. Learn from experience. When you do cock up, don't dwell on it, take the lessons but concentrate on what's coming, not what's just happened. Communicate and keep your crew and ATC on your side. Be humble.

It sounds at the moment like you're trying to second guess your trainers to fly like they want rather than having your own ideas. That approach will never work in the long run. Fly the aircraft as you want to fly it and take what you can from the advice of the trainers and line captains you fly with. Always think as though you were the captain, ie "what would I do in this situation." and learn from what the captain actually does, bad solutions and good solutions are equally useful to you.

Be yourself, don't put on an act and good luck.

Flyit Pointit Sortit
13th Apr 2007, 21:55
When I was going through command training I always saw fuel as time rather than a weight. LVP's - I want an extra 30 mins - in my case 1000 kg, going to a busy airport 15 mins, 600 kg. It shows that you are thinking about plans rather than a number

Good Luck

Fropilot
13th Apr 2007, 22:52
-Quote "great....so decision making is what the tr.captains are looking for...

but i am also wondering what type of question would i be asked...generally...i know it would be different from a tr.capt to the other...i just need an idea."

A good RHS pilot will most likely be a good CAPT. A good copilot will always try to fathom the reasons behind a Captain's decision and always keep track as to whether the decision was right or not at the back of his head, off course if it unsafe - CHALLENGE.

Reading on some of the advice it appears as if command is a regeneration of a "self" as opposed to assuming additional responsibility. It is like "What is the best way for me to cheat my way into LHS."

Fortunately these days aircraft are so reliable that pilots will soon be cheaper than truck drivers - "no offense meant" -and as a result entry standards keep getting lower and lower.

kuwait340
14th Apr 2007, 06:50
thanks guys for the valuable inputs.....

Yon Garde
14th Apr 2007, 10:08
Try to do all the study required before you start the sim and line training. i.e the only things you should learn during the training is what you didn't know that you didn't know.
I wrote a four page checklist of the topics and material I wanted to study for the command and then systematically wrote an A5 binder full of notes with references to the company manuals. For my last year in the RH seat I asked all my Captains what they would recommend and added those to the list. It was great because I knew where I was during the study process and it gave me the confidence to know that I had covered everything beforehand. The whole preparation process took about 6 months.
The training is hard enough without staying up till 3am studying after a grueling day of flying in an unfamiliar seat.
Good luck and best regards:)

Sid Departure
14th Apr 2007, 10:49
Firstly I totally agree with Beakor's comments.
As a Captain, you'll soon learn that flying the aeroplane is the easy part of your job. It's managing "the day" that requires a lot of your time. There's no right or wrong way of doing things, you have to do what's comfortable for you. If you want to put another 2000kg extra fuel on then do so, but make sure if asked you, can justify this with a suitable reason.
Know your manuals inside and out, especially SOP's.
Each airline is different, but in my final command Sim check I was briefed, "the only holes in the excercise are the one's you dig yourself ".
Have confidence in yourself and you'll be fine.
Cheers Sid D

kuwait340
14th Apr 2007, 11:25
great input from all of you guys....

i will not forget you you have said guys..

Yon Garde...would you mind to give us an idea about your command training checklist....it will help alot...

thanx

Nick 1
14th Apr 2007, 18:10
Hi,
an old captain once told me :
" there are two ways of making fuel . If you already get frightened , flying with minimum fuel , or not !!
Regards.

Bearcat
14th Apr 2007, 18:33
The day you'll make a bollox out of it on your command checks will be the cavok day..... a spanner in the works will appear out of no where so never let your gaurd down when you see wx is good.
Justify your fuel loads....
Was in EPKK recently...ILS off the air, only a timed NDB app avail yet they were vectoring traffic onto finals, descent at will. We were visual but I just thought to myself hmmm this would be interesting on CChecks.
Forget about the 6 A's (Assign, assess etc etc) The 6 P's will work being Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
On my CCs I had 3 G/A's, crap weather, 2 diversions, one due wx and another due tech. Checker also mislaid Jeppys on a diversion.
When I finished I was off for the week, I had a very boozy lunch and basically slept 12 hours a night there after I was wrecked.
Do the work, cover all probable events, tease out scenario's with capts you get on with and know your compnay SOP's down to the letter of the law. Know your aircraft and know your mel so when you get a curve ball you'll know in your head, yeap I can go with that or not. Also if you really get a curve ball at an outstation dont be afraid to check in with your ops re your options....use all available resources and keep that person in the right hand seat busy. Also know how to do a manual loadsheet. I had to do one....I'll never fogive the person who did that to me but I delayed the flight until I was 100% the loadsheet was waterproof.
Rgds and best of luck
Bear

FlyMD
14th Apr 2007, 18:49
You can't really "learn" common sense, though it is the single greatest commodity required for the operation of an aircraft.. So study your FOM and your AFM.

During the study of your manuals, you will think of scenarios that are not really covered by them, or you will find rules that are somewhat ambiguous or at least open to discussion. A great way to start a constructive relationship with the captain doing your assessment is to engage him in an open discussion about those scenarios and rules, and pick his brains about them..

Above all, as stated above, be yourself and DO NOT re-invent the wheel...

qwertyuiop
14th Apr 2007, 21:00
I have just done a few upgrades but can only give you advice as I see it.

Firstly, don't arrive under prepared. Most people have years to learn their company manuals and SOPs. A lack of preperation stands out!

Next. If you are being put forward then your company thinks that you are up for it. Dont worry about your ability, think about what's going on in the aircraft. Lots of people put on blinckers and fail to see the overall picture. Deligate, observe, help and praise (or encourage).

Finally. Try to avoid being everybodies best friend. Set high standards for yourself and you will find others follow. Don't be afraid to ask for advice or help and, as has been said before, don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Good luck.

kuwait340
24th Apr 2007, 13:43
one of the training captains told me to read the following for the command training....

1-Fuel Policy.

2-Flight Duty Time Limitations.

3-Aerodromes Operating Minima.

4-Jeppesen " Emergency section + ATC section"

5-S.O.P

6-Company Ops Manual.

7-MEL.

i hope this will help the future captains .

GooD LucK