PDA

View Full Version : Cork airport Help and Wisdom please

Fuji Abound
5th Apr 2007, 11:44
I fancy a trip to Cork over the bank holiday.

Any views please.

I have phoned Cork and they seem a friendly bunch and the fees are fine.

It will be a twin routing from the south coast and as the weather looks good outside airways.

Any thoughts on the route, Cork airport itself, what to do in the area etc please.

coodem
5th Apr 2007, 11:58
I did it a few weeks ago, very simple, and they got to be the friendliest bunch of people about. Make sure you book handling agents, prebook your fuel, make sure you fuel before you head of to the GA parking, as they don't have a fuel bowser

Most important, enjoy it. Its a great place full of friendly people

Wessex Boy
5th Apr 2007, 12:00
I have only flown in there on Ryanair or private Hawker 800 (opposite ends of the commecial flying spectrum!) so can't comment on GA.

Would recommend the Restaurant at this hotel though:
http://www.isaacs.ie/hotel_isaacs_cork/restaurant.htm (http://www.isaacs.ie/hotel_isaacs_cork/restaurant.htm)

It is built into the rock with a waterfall cascading down outside, and not far from the main bars, etc
For a fantastic Hotel, go for Hayfield Manor, that is where the Clintons and the Brosnans stay when in town. Very good Restuarant and Bar.
Little tip: When the bar closes and you get moved into the Library, ask the Night Watchman: "So is Irish Whiskey as good as Scottish then?" he will then bring you a selection to sample to prove that Irish is far finer...he falls for it every time!:E

david viewing
5th Apr 2007, 14:36
Even with booking fuel in advance you might be in for a long wait. Sounds like Waterford's on your track and it might be quicker to land there than wait at Cork.

nouseforaname
6th Apr 2007, 08:54
For the Handeling you want SouthAIR (i'm pretty sure they are the only one)....firendly fella called Eddie, I was in there yesterday actually.

South AIR

T. +353 (0) 21 4888488
M. +353 (0) 86 1737 161

Mobile probably the best.

Byraer
11th Apr 2007, 02:28
Cork is a grand airport to fly into, no trouble from our end of things... normally try and pre-arrange as GA to avoid ending up on the main ramp if you can, but tis no trouble either way. It is an international airport with full customs, but if you arrive too early or late, you may find yourself without a handler, which is, alot of the time required proceedure!

Have fun flying!

flyingphil1
11th Apr 2007, 07:28
Its so much bigger now .. They used to give discounts for training flights so your first trip in could be logged (with an instructor) as training. They wont appreciate a second bite of the pie but they are the friendliest big airport I can think of so go!!