PDA

View Full Version : Alpha CWU-45 jacket

Captain Smithy
4th Apr 2007, 13:27
Following on from the discussion about PPLs and Epaulettes... does anybody here have an Alpha CWU-45 jacket? Are they any good?

I was thinking about getting one since it gets a tad chilly out on the ramp, and I'm looking for a jacket that is small and light but provides decent warmth. Oh, and plenty of pockets too...;) Spotted it in a magazine, seems to be what I'm looking for, bit pricey though, but if it's decent and will do me a good few years I'll go for it. What's everyone's opinions on them, e.g. quality etc.?

Not too keen on fleeces, would like something that is a little waterproof too, hence the reason I thought about getting the Alpha. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

The current jacket I use I find a bit bulky, plus it's had it's day and is getting a bit tatty. I need of something new pretty soon.

P.S. No Irvins or badges etc.!

P.P.S. Would I be labelled a prat for wearing an Alpha? I'm pretty conscious about that, don't want to appear a showoff/bighead because I'm not.

Smithy

maxdrypower
4th Apr 2007, 15:59
There is a new type of jacket on the market which is really nice , goto the pride of the skies website , sory I dont have the link but its 69 quid

Ridgerunner
4th Apr 2007, 16:08
Don't get anything synthetic, if anything it should be flame retardant. I recall seeing many of these types of jackets being synthetic and a fire hazard!

Captain Smithy
4th Apr 2007, 17:52
That jacket on "pride of the skies" seems pretty decent enough. I also have spied a good one on Transair for slightly cheaper than that... I'll consider them.

Cheers for the responses guys (and the safety tip, Ridgerunner).

Smithy

J.A.F.O.
4th Apr 2007, 17:57
Sorry but when I read the Pride of the Skies website with the 100% polyester and nylon fur jacket - was a missing the fire retardency bit?

18greens
5th Apr 2007, 11:12
RAF Cold weather jackets are quite good, fit all of your requirements and around a £100. I actually had someone say it looked good last weekend, although I don't think i would wear it down the shops.
The Alpha looks good, if a little bulky. I did like the look of the Ballistic Alpha (knife proof as well as flame proof) but £450 hmm.

http://www.stoppa.co.uk/acatalog/Click_Here_for_Alpha_Flight_Jackets.html