PDA

View Full Version : RNAS Predannack info req'd

shortstripper
3rd Apr 2007, 18:29
I'm planning to enter the Tiger club's "Dawn to Dusk" this year in my Slingsby Cadet. Without giving away too much about what I'm planning, the flight would hopefully include landing at RNAS Preddanack where I first flew in a T31 glider with the air cadets in 1979. I think the airfield is still under military control but I seem to remember it was (or still is?) used by a autogyro club? I'm wondering if anyone has info on how I go about seeking permission to land there?

Thanks in advance.

SS

S-Works
3rd Apr 2007, 18:49
Culdrose control it and unless you have a very good reason to land there they are not very forthcoming with permission.

It is used as a relief and training site for the main air station. You can land at Culdrose no problem, in fact they are very welcoming.

BRL
3rd Apr 2007, 21:22
Check your PM's please Shortstripper!

airborne_artist
4th Apr 2007, 08:09
I suggest you write to the Commander (Flying) at Culdrose. I wanted to use Merryfield, which is Yeovilton's RLG/satellite, for an entire weekend of flying ops two years ago, and they could not have been more helpful, unlike the RAF, who put every barrier in the way they could find, despite having loads of possible sites for the event.

You must have been a Spacey at Predannack as I was first grappling with the controls of a Gazelle.

Good luck.

Sedbergh
4th Apr 2007, 10:48
Air Cadet's 626 VGS still operate out of Predannack. I sent them an email last year because I fly one of their former T21's (WJ 306).

Had a very pleasant reply from a chap named Ross Goldsworthy who seems to have been there since 1971! It might be another approach.

(SS can't have flown WJ 306 though, cos she was moved to Halesland in 1976)

airborne_artist
4th Apr 2007, 11:46
626 VGS will have lodger unit status, so they won't be able to grant this kind of permission, unless the airfield is formally handed over to them at weekends, which is unlikely.

Commander F will pass it to Lt Cdr F (normally known as little F), and he/she will talk to the SATCO at Predannack, who probably is also the boss of the airfield.

S-Works
4th Apr 2007, 12:28
I seem to recall that there are no based personnel there. everything is handled from Culdrose. I used to have a house about 500 yards from it and often wanted to fly in. I asked Cudlrose who said for insurance reasons they could not allow it but I was more than welcome to fly into Culdrose.

Good luck with it though, very nice little airfield.

shortstripper
4th Apr 2007, 14:58
Thanks for the replies. I now have several leads to follow up, so hopefully I'll be able to do something. I suppose an over-flight might be the last resort, but I'd really like to land the T31 there if I can. For me that's where it all started, and in a T31 glider, so there's a strong link (not T21b) :cool:

SS

PlasticPro
5th Apr 2007, 13:20
While Culdrose has overall responsibility for Predannack, they generally only use it as an RLG during the week and even then it is unlikely to be manned. At weekends and certain weeks during the year, control is handed over to 626 Volunteer Gliding Squadron. If you are planning a landing there or even an overflight during the week you must go through Culdrose as the MATZ will likely be active. If you are planning it for a weekend, please give the VGS a call as a couple of thousand feet of 5mm steel glider launching cable draped over your wing may well spoil your day. Please PM me and I will supply contact details. Hope the plans go well.
PP