PDA

View Full Version : Tibenham Spring Fly-In - Monday 9th April 2007

SkyHawk-N
1st Apr 2007, 21:02
The Norfolk Gliding Club based at Tibenham Airfield would like to invite you all along for a fly-in on Monday 9th April 2007, Easter Bank Holiday Monday.

Hot & cold food (including all day breakfasts) and drink (we have a licenced bar for passenger use) will be available.

Hopefully the weather will be better than our last attempt at holding an event in December. We can also show off our new powered aircraft hangar which is now full of interesting aircraft. Details of our airfield can be found here http://www.norfolkglidingclub.com/TibenhamAirfield.aspx I will post more details later on in the week.

There will be an opportunity of having a go in a glider if you are interested, an experience which should not be missed if you like flying! Let me know if you would be interested and I will get you more details.

Hope many of you can make it, don't miss the chance of adding Tibenham to your log books!

Whirlygig
1st Apr 2007, 21:12
Glad to hear the hangar is now powered!!

Cheers

Whirls

BlueRobin
1st Apr 2007, 22:40
Have some hours to burn so I'll bear Tibenham in mind.

SkyHawk-N
2nd Apr 2007, 06:49
Glad to hear the hangar is now powered!!
Well actually it isn't! I was talking 'glider speak' (i.e. powered = aircraft that has an engine, I think you knew that anyway ;)) .... but we do have a generator :cool:

Zulu Alpha
2nd Apr 2007, 10:48
Might try and drop in...and stay for a bit longer this time!!

Would a few loops and swoops be in order? If so I'll fill the smoke tank

What time would be OK?

SkyHawk-N
2nd Apr 2007, 20:47
Hi Zulu Alpha. Would be great if you could stop by :ok: . I believe StikNRuda will be in touch with you to come up with a cunning plan. This time there will be more gliding going on so best if you could land first so the skies can be cleared a bit.

Zulu Alpha
2nd Apr 2007, 21:45
SkyHawk,
Will do as you suggest, can you remind us of the frequencies and phone numbers?
I hope your wife is buying the drinks again???:ok: :O
ZA

stiknruda
3rd Apr 2007, 09:34
ZA - I bumped into SkyN in a seedy part of the City yesterday! Suggested that if he gets approval from the "committee" that rather than you just looping and swooping, if you want some critique on this season's known that I'd happily do it for you. If you e-send me a copy of your personal sequence, I'll critique you on that, too.

Spent Sat with Uncle!

Stik

Zulu Alpha
3rd Apr 2007, 10:00
Al,
Thanks for the offer of critique.
I'm practising Advanced at present, however I'm not sure how entertaining that will be from the ground without smoke (adding smoke might just be one thing too many for me as there are several closed throttle bits that would require additional brain cells to operate the "smoke off.....smoke on" button).
I might need a slightly larger box as well, which would mean binoculars on the ground!!!!
The alternative is to try a new display sequence with smoke. You could video or critique that as I would like to try and make it a bit more interesting this year and feedback from the ground would be valuable.
Spent Sat with Uncle!
Does this mean you're moving up this year?
ZA

formationfoto
3rd Apr 2007, 16:47
Chipmunk is probably on its way to Duxford to have a wing replaced on Monday if I can find someone to fly over with me and fly back. If so might also be able to convince the person with me to put on a brief 500ft formation routine.

I guess the best option is for us to fly in, land, and do the routine on the way out.

Ian

Lister Noble
3rd Apr 2007, 17:35
Hope to fly the Cub in, providing I can find Tibenham!
Lister;)

SkyHawk-N
3rd Apr 2007, 17:48
Lister, finding Tibenham will be no problem. If you are flying 'IFR', from the A47 turn south at the junction with the A140, after 10 miles you will find Long Stratton, turn South-West and after 3 miles you will find Tibenham. :ok:

SkyHawk-N
3rd Apr 2007, 17:53
I hope your wife is buying the drinks again???

Zulu Alpha, my Wife will be there again, I'm sure she will be spending my money as always! :sad:

I will get a full briefing up here in a couple of days including telephone numbers. Our website has an airfield information page which can be found here..http://www.NorfolkGlidingClub.com/TibenhamAirfield.aspx

SkyHawk-N
3rd Apr 2007, 17:58
Ian, will be good to meet you. I managed to miss you the last time, probably due to my photoshoot taking place. :cool:

It will be good to have a chat about airshows and things, as there may be one agreed very shortly.

Lister Noble
3rd Apr 2007, 18:04
Skyhawk,
I'm based at Priory Farm,is that the most direct route?;)

SkyHawk-N
3rd Apr 2007, 18:09
I'm based at Priory Farm

Oh, you're one of THEM are you? Only joking, our neighbours are always most welcome.

Mariner9
4th Apr 2007, 08:33
Mrs M9 & I will be there. :)

SkyHawk-N
4th Apr 2007, 20:18
Here is what is on offer at Tibenham Airfield, Monday 9th April.

- Glider flights, £20 for a 2,000ft winch launch. Flights should last up to 20 minutes but this depends on the weather. Aerotow launches will also be available. Don't forget your camera! :cool:
- You will be equally welcome if you turn up by car.
- Aerobatic displays by two or three excellent fellows. Depending on weather and them not staying out too late the night before! :eek:
- All day breakfasts, sandwiches, etc, etc. while sitting outside in our great surroundings. :ok:
- Big Roast Beef lunch. :O
- Licenced bar for passengers. :O :O
- 100LL will be available, refuelling assisted by myself. :D
- Camping by your aircraft Sunday or Monday overnight will be permitted. :hmm:
- Knowing my Wife I'm sure free cups of tea and coffee will be on offer! :suspect:

There will be a suggested £5 landing fee which will go directly to the airfield development fund.

Airfield information can be found here http://www.NorfolkGlidingClub.com/TibenhamAirfield.aspx.

Runway 03 or 21 will probably be in use. It will be a left hand circuit for 21, right hand circuit for 03. A railway line runs 1 mile to the East and is a useful reference for your downwind leg.

Make your call 5 miles out on 129.975. If no response (there should be) please make blind calls for others. Make calls on joining downwind and on final. NO OVERHEAD JOINS DUE TO THE LAUNCH CABLES.

On landing vacate first left if 21, first right if 03. If you land long and miss the turn do a 180 degree and track back.

Call me on 0791 9100004 if you would like to discuss further, I'll be pleased to help with any questions you may have.

Lister Noble
5th Apr 2007, 17:55
Sky,where is the grass strip at Tibenham,I believe you have one/some?
Lister:)

SkyHawk-N
5th Apr 2007, 18:16
Hi Lister, yes we have grass runways at Tibenham as well. They sit alongside the asphelt ones, if 21 is in use the grass runway (21G) is located to the lefthand side after the intersection with runways 15/33. If 03 is in use 03G is located on the righthand side after the 26/08 intersection. Basically the grass runways sit in the centre grass triangle. If you fancy using one I will check out their condition for you, let me know.

Lister Noble
6th Apr 2007, 07:07
I've never landed a tailwheeler on tarmac,but understand that it a bit tricky compared with grass.:)
Lister

Zulu Alpha
6th Apr 2007, 18:51
Lister,

Might it be easier just to push it across the road than fly!!!! Wouldn't require a grass strip.... and it would be so much more carbon friendly!!!!!:) :) :) :) :)

Lister Noble
7th Apr 2007, 06:47
Zulu,I could have a run at it from Southwold!;)
I plan to have some spin training in a Citabria this weekend,not sure of timing so may not make it to Tibenham.
If not I might pop in by car later on.
Lister:)

Justiciar
7th Apr 2007, 17:57
Looks like a great day. Unfortuately can't fly in as I am already based there:ok:
I could always fly out and then back in, just for the hell of it:)
What time do things kick off? Great bunch of people at Tibenham - come and visit.

SkyHawk-N
7th Apr 2007, 19:02
Hey Justiciar, give me a clue? are you one of the newbies?

Things start at the crack of dawn. Runway walking, brushing and sweeping, polishing and cleaning, I look forward to your company :E

StiknRuda in his Pitts and Zulu Alpha in his Lazer are hoping going to be entertaining us all at mid dayish. Everyone is welcome whatever time between 9ish and 6ish, I'll be there with my Wife all day.

Hopefully some aircraft turn up, sounds like a quiet GA weekend. Been near Lydd Airport for the last few days and you can count the aircraft flying over on two hands.

Justiciar
7th Apr 2007, 20:38
Hey Justiciar, give me a clue? are you one of the newbies?

Yep. Blue and silver grey Pioneer 300. Have we met?

SkyHawk-N
8th Apr 2007, 06:20
Yep. Blue and silver grey Pioneer 300. Have we met?

We sure have. When you first saw the hangar, we stood and chatted about things for a while with the Vice-Chairman.

Justiciar
8th Apr 2007, 09:49
The penny has finally dropped. I guess the clue was in yout Title:O

See you tomorrow some time.

SkyHawk-N
8th Apr 2007, 17:44
The weather looks absolutely superb tomorrow so hopefully a few aircraft turn up.

Runway will probably be 21. If so, it will be a lefthand circuit. Make an initial call 5 miles out if possible, then calls joining downwind and final. Downwind should follow the railway line to the east of the airfield at 1,000ft. Keep a reasonably tight circuit so that you remain in sight of the control hut.

Winch and aerotow will be operating so NO OVERHEAD JOINS.

The radio will be manned and will be Tibenham Radio on 129.975. On landing you should vacate first left down runway 15, if you miss this turnoff a 180 degree turn and backtrack should be made. Myself or some other helpful sole will be on the radio to provide any help/clarification required.

Parking will be over at the clubhouse. Roast Beef meals will be available as well as the usual breakfasts, sandwiches, etc.

We really hope to see some of you there.

stiknruda
8th Apr 2007, 17:56
Skyhawk

Expect self plus one similar circa lunchtime, we'll call 5 miles out and slot ourselves in for a R&B to land.

Stik & chum

Zulu Alpha
8th Apr 2007, 20:03
Hope to be there about 11.30.
May call first to see if a whizz would be in order on the way in.
ZA

SkyHawk-N
8th Apr 2007, 20:23
Stiknruda & Zulu Alpha, looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow. I'm sure my Wife will have free cups of tea waiting for you. :*

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
8th Apr 2007, 20:31
Nice day's flying today, Henstridge & Popham.

Hope to make Tibenham tomorrow. Look forward to seeing various PPRuNers there.

Safe Flying,

Richard W.

Zulu Alpha
9th Apr 2007, 09:06
To help those unfamiliar, here is an aerial photo of Tibenham
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?scale=25000&icon=x&lat=%2052.4567&lon=1.15417&mapsize=big

stiknruda
9th Apr 2007, 12:56
Thank you to all at Tibenham for making us visitors feel so welcome.:D :D

Stik

Justiciar
9th Apr 2007, 15:49
Thanks everyone for a very pleasant day.

Zulu Alpha
9th Apr 2007, 15:58
Ditto to Stiks comments. Lovely day out and thanks for helping with the fuel.

If you know where the Extra 200 was from I'd be interested.

ZA

SkyHawk-N
9th Apr 2007, 17:47
Well what a day.

Early in the morning I was wondering who was going to come, if any at all. Responses from various forums were not very encouraging but hopes were reasonably high.

An early arrival from nearby Seething landed and gave me, 'Billy No Mates', someone to welcome and chat to. Gliding activities were slow to get going, probably due to the rest of the holiday being extremly busy. The Vintage Motorbike Club were having a rally at the same time and the airfield started to feel a bit more alive with their comings and goings.

One by one aircraft began to arrive, a Victa Airtourer was the first, followed by a Zenair, Davis DA-2, Pioneer, Bonanza and various other types of aircraft. Zulu Alpha turned up at midday in his beautiful Lazer and gave a very spirited aerial display, watched by everyone on the ground. The day had finally started to look promising. Once on the ground David mentioned that Maurice Hammond would be along with his superb P-51 Mustang!

During the day we had quite a number of visitors take up the option of having a go at a winch launched glider flight flown by some of our instructors. Those that did seemed to have a great time.

Just past 2:00pm and the promised P-51 Mustang, 'Janie', duly arrived after a run and break along runway 21. Everyone loves the sound of a Merlin! After parking up at the clubhouse and secured with two pieces of brick Maurice opened up the gun panels on the wing exposing the machine guns and ammunition. The detail of the whole aircraft is very impressive and everyone at the event had the chance to see it all up close.

Both David and Al C, in his Pitts Special, said goodbye to Tibenham with further displays. Not to be outdone Maurice said goodbye by carrying out a series of fast runs and twirls (more than we could have hoped for!) before heading home, these guys certainly made the day that much more special.

All in all everyone seemed to have a great day, with the final count being around 30 visiting aircraft. I apologise to those who I couldn't spend much time with, I'm sure some will count this as a blessing though. Rachel, Eddie and catering crew met the challenge brilliantly and my Wife lived up to expectations and spent all my cash!

Thanks go to everyone who visited, to Al, David and Maurice for their support and everyone at the club who helped out. We WILL be having more of these events.

I'll be putting together a web page with pictures of the event, I'll let everyone know when it's available.

SkyHawk-N
9th Apr 2007, 17:51
If you know where the Extra 200 was from I'd be interested.

Zulu Alpha, I found out they were from Andrewsfield. :ok:

will5023
9th Apr 2007, 18:15
Hi Sky Hawk, thanks for the 2 cups of tea, most welcome. Good luck with your trip North and probably bump into you on an airfield somewhere !!

Wil G-TEXS

Charles Sierra
9th Apr 2007, 21:06
We were those men who pitched up at the crack of dawn making blind calls and found "Billy no mates" with the volume turned to zero on his handheld :} ,However a VERY warm welcome awaited and great hospitality was provided also. Unfortunately we had to return prior to all the action but will be back again for sure. Thanks also for a look around the hangers.

Tim and Jonathan. (Seething)
p.s for some reason original pprune username now defunct.

SkyHawk-N
10th Apr 2007, 07:38
Thanks for bringing that up Charles Sierra! :ouch: How would I know that the radio had a volume knob? :ugh: Thanks for popping by.

SkyHawk-N
10th Apr 2007, 21:07
Here are a few pictures of some of the participants, unfortunately as I was running around I didn't get pictures of all.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GLAZA.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GCUBE.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/Janie.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GYVES.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/Bonanza.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GBREY.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GBPFL.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GBFNG.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GAWVG.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GBSCS.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/GAZVB.jpg

Charles Sierra
11th Apr 2007, 07:02
Excellent pics. Looking forward to visiting again and hopefully able to stay a while longer next time.;)