PDA

View Full Version : PPL Application Query

bean_ian
28th Mar 2007, 08:53
Hi,
I have recently returned from doing my PPL in a CAA school in Florida. Before I left I did the JAA class 2 medical. I was found to be color blind which meant I could only fly Day VFR.
However when in the USA I sat the FAA Class 3 Medical and passed the color blindness test(alot less involved then the class 2 jaa!).
The course I did involved 5 hours night flying which I did on the basis of my FAA student license which was unrestricted.
Obviously I cant apply for the night rating but would the fact I flew 5 of my 45 hours at night when I have a restriction on my JAA medical raise any eyebrows in the CAA when I send of my application, even though these were flown legally in FAA airspace?
So what im trying to say is are these 5 hours valid?

Thanks in advance
Ian

scooter boy
28th Mar 2007, 09:37
Ian, why not just use the FAA license if you passed the medical? You would then have full privileges.

There are restrictions when using a G-reg aircraft on an FAA ticket but in an N-reg one you would be OK.

I too converted my license 13 years ago on returning to the UK and have since let it lapse and now only keep my FAA license current.

SB

littco
28th Mar 2007, 09:38
I would check with the CAA, but I think you'll find that in order to get a JAA PPL from the CAA you'll need to have your hours in accordance with the JAA class 2 medical, and if that has a restriction on the DAY VFR only then that's the only hours you can count towards it.. IE the night hours can't be counted.. but as I say check with the CAA..

BackPacker
28th Mar 2007, 09:45
Scooter, an FAA Class three medical is only a Student Pilot License. It allows you to solo in US airspace after having been signed off by an instructor to do so, but it is NOT a PPL and it does NOT allow you to take passengers.

Bean_ian, I think, in general, you can count the three required "dual" hours for the NQ towards your PPL, but not the two solo hours. And I don't think that your restrictive JAA class 2 medical makes a lot of difference in this case. After all, all the dual hours you flew (day and night) were done on the instructors ticket, and all the solo hours you flew (day and night) were done on your FAA student pilot license & class 3 medical.

Technically, it might even be the case that you do not need a JAA class 2 medical at all to do your JAA PPL in Florida. You only need it once you start exercises the privileges of your JAA PPL in Europe. (But it would be silly not to obtain the JAA class 2 medical in advance. Just suppose you fail it for some reason...)

bean_ian
28th Mar 2007, 09:57
Thanks for the help guys, I have 1 more question though:
I have an old logbook with about 6 hours in it, with flights dating from 2002-2006. Could I send this in with my application and use these hours to make up for the invalid night hours?
Regards
Ian

bean_ian
28th Mar 2007, 12:45
Just off the phone from the CAA, and according to them the night hours are valid towards the 45:ok:

SD.
28th Mar 2007, 13:09
backpacker wrote - "Scooter, an FAA Class three medical is only a Student Pilot License. It allows you to solo in US airspace after having been signed off by an instructor to do so, but it is NOT a PPL and it does NOT allow you to take passengers."

That is totally not true, a class 3 medical is exactly what it says on the tin - A medical!!!!!! Although it does double act as Student Pilot Cert pre-PPL.

Post PPL check ride, a class 3 is all you need for non-commercial flying. You can take as many passengers as you can squeeze in (aslong as they pay a pro-rata share of course ;) ) However to fly in the UK using this class 3 medical thus removing the 'no night restriction', you would need to pass the written exam and FAA PPL check ride with an FAA DPE.

BackPacker
28th Mar 2007, 14:09
SD, as far as I understand bean_ian never did the skills test for the FAA PPL, just the JAA PPL. So all he has is a JAA class 2 medical with a restriction, a JAA PPL with NQ (to be applied for), and an FAA class 3 medical which doubles as a student pilot certificate.

So the only FAA license he has (referring to your first post) is the student license. Only valid within the US (I think - this is not one of the ICAO recognised licenses), only valid on N-reg aircraft, requires an instructor (presumably an FAA-instructor) to sign off before each flight, and does not allow him to take passengers. Not very useful in the UK, I guess... But that's something that you did imply in your first post.

SD.
28th Mar 2007, 15:44
Thats why I said he would need to pass the FAA PPL to be able to fly in the UK with no restrictions. Sorry for any confusion, I just didn't want anyone reading this to think that the FAA class 3 was just a student pilot certificate. :ok:

BackPacker
28th Mar 2007, 17:23
Well, I can probably explain that. My JAA class 2 medical took something like four hours, including, as I remember, three different eyesight tests, all computerized (sharpness, width of field and color). Plus 3 tubes of blood, urine, general fysiology, hearing, ECG, you name it. In the process I saw at least four different examiners (I don't think they were all qualified doctors, but I would not be surprised).

The FAA class 3 medical only required me to read a few letters from a set distance, just a finger prick of blood and a drop of urine and that was about it. In and out in less than an hour, and that included 30 minutes waiting for the other flight student who was with me.

So I'm not surprised that a JAA class 2 finds more things than an FAA class 3.