PDA

View Full Version : Perfecting the deice process:

bomarc
18th Mar 2007, 22:24
In some ways the USA is wonderful.

In some huge ways, the USA and its airports are just awful...witness KFJK (New York...Idylwild).

De/anti ice:

Of course we all know that the best way to handle winter wx is: de/anti / ice right next to a long runway for takeoff. Don't leave the gate until you have a reservation at deice and a slot for takeoff. "cleared to deice, expect clearance for takeoff within 2 minutes of report: de ice complete/ ready for takeoff, checklist complete.

Off we go into the wild blue.

1 deice, quick takeoff

the reasons this doesn't happen? money, govt. BS.

please make additions to this concept and report the best deice places on the planet.

BuzzBox
20th Mar 2007, 00:27
I don't know it's the best place on the planet, but de-icing at Seoul's Incheon airport seems to work pretty well. There are de-icing bays at each end of the runway, right next to the holding point. Book a slot, taxi over, de-ice and bugger off!

Hotel Charlie
20th Mar 2007, 08:23
Same procedure at Oslo airport! :ok:

MrBernoulli
20th Mar 2007, 08:48
bomarc,

Of course you meant KJFK ..... we knew that. Its a long time since it was Idlewild! Used to be an Army base, if I recall correctly, named after some important General, and the airfield was begun on what used to be the camp's golf course!

Toronto has a large de-icing area away from the terminal stands which seems to work well with large electronic signboards and a separate radio freq for coordination and control. It is a shame that more airfields don't have deicing near the runway ends - it would certainly improve available holdover times!

old,not bold
20th Mar 2007, 09:15
Warsaw has a de-icing stand on at least one holding point. It seemed to me to be a highly efficient operation; park on the stand and a de-icer comes up on each side, they de-ice the wings with remote operated sprayers, then move back for the tail, spray that and it's next please. All controlled from the de-icer cabs.

rotornut
20th Mar 2007, 11:49
Also, YYZ has a system for collecting the deicing fluid which is then recycled after being purified.

bomarc
20th Mar 2007, 12:16
Mr. bernouili

thanks for the correction, yes you are right...Idylwild will always be immortilized in the theme song to the TV show, "Car 54 where are you?" made in the glory days prior to the death of JFK.

but I digress.

YYZ is excellent. KPIT, pittsburgh, pa, had an excellent system right near the departure end of the runway...alas, one system has been removed.

tis all about money I suppose.

MrBernoulli
20th Mar 2007, 18:15
"Car 54 Where Are You?" Holy Schmoly! :eek: I can remember watching that series as a nipper, in Africa, believe it or not!

bomarc
20th Mar 2007, 19:29
Mr. B
I believe you. the song was quite funny if one really understood it...many locations around New York city are mentioned here, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem, Jackson Heights, and of course the airport now known as JFK

* The lyrics to the show's theme song:

There's a holdup in the Bronx!
Brooklyn's broken out in fights!
There's a traffic jam in Harlem That's backed up to Jackson Heights!
There's a scout troop short a child!
Khrushchev's due at Idlewild!
Car 54, where are you?!

Pugilistic Animus
21st Mar 2007, 15:48
I found some advisory circulars that may help, I know they do little to affect the staus quo but they do give the official thinking.
It always a pilot's burden to assure all surfaces are clear of ice and contamination.

AC-120-89, AC 135-9, AC135-16, AC 120-60B and AC20-117, AC 91-74