PDA

View Full Version : David Clark X11 ANR

Bandit650
12th Mar 2007, 11:00
Would appreciate a verdict from any owners of a X11 headset...am considering purchase but, given the cost, want to do some homework first!

(Nothing came up on a search btw)

Thanks

tiggermoth
12th Mar 2007, 11:24
I've got a pair.

Save your money for something more exciting (like a set of new teeth).

T.

Bandit650
12th Mar 2007, 12:05
I've got a pair.

Save your money for something more exciting (like a set of new teeth).

T.

My teeth are okay - its the ears which are giving me grief...

You not impressed with the X11s then?

tiggermoth
12th Mar 2007, 13:19
They are comfortable, they look nice, they have an input for an MP3 player/mobile (if that is safe/legal where you use them), they're green.

The ANR bit (which is the bit you're paying for) isn't much cop. It takes out just a bit of the rumble, and that's about it - really crap. It actually injects a bit of high frequency hiss when you turn on the ANR. Complete and utter waste of money.

Notice the absence of dbA data on the headphones in the literature/adverts. That should concern you.

Save your money, use a pair of soft earplugs with a standard headset if need be, and enjoy the £500 on something else (like eight hours flying).

T.

PompeyPaul
12th Mar 2007, 13:24
I bought mine off ebay for like £200. I certainly wouldn't buy brand new. £500 for 8 hours flying ?!?!? I wish....

S-Works
12th Mar 2007, 13:30
Spend the money on a Bose-X............. :ok:

Wrong Stuff
12th Mar 2007, 14:02
I bought a set of the X11s. I found that:

- It picked up interference from something electrical in the cabin which caused a mild high-pitch squeal. The good news was that it only happened with my head in a few positions. The bad news: one of the positions was sitting in the P1 seat facing forwards.

- I was disappointed to learn that the auto power-off feature works by sensing when you unplug the headset jacks. As I leave the headset in the aircraft all the time, that wouldn't actually work.

- The passive noise attenuation was much worse than the old DCs. The active noise attenuation wasn't brilliant either. I found the headset comfortable, but very noisy indeed. After one flight with them, I decided they were useless for me and was going to sell them second hand, but fortunately the retailer very kindly offered me a full refund.

I much prefer my old ANR DCs - they're not as comfortable as the Bose set I've got, but they block out both the high and low frequencies a bit better.

Bandit650
12th Mar 2007, 14:12
Interesting stuff - thanks all. I certainly get the picture Bose-X are the best on the market but I would hope so at 800quid!

Appreciate the X11 feedback - I might have a look at the Telex 30XT. They look beefy, but comfy, and have seen good reports about the ANR. 350quid too. Will go and have a girlie type try-on session at Transair one day this week!

tiggermoth
12th Mar 2007, 14:30
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is dissatisfied with the X11 (expect I unfortunately did not take them back to the retailer).

You may wish to go down the avenue of retrofitting ANR using a kit (I'd be interested to hear people's experience of this).

Dave Gittins
12th Mar 2007, 14:37
Being a simple soul ... why does anybody want an ANR set anyway ?
I have happily done all my flying with DCs and now have a perfectly good set of 13.4s.

I'd rather be able to hear if the donk starts making a funny noise that sit in quiet oblivion.

:confused:

Bandit650
12th Mar 2007, 14:48
I have 13.4s at present, and after only 2.5hrs on Sat my hearing was shot to pieces and my ears were ringing like a bellringers' rave party at St. Pauls. Perhaps I should try some new gel seals first before parting with yet more dosh...

S-Works
12th Mar 2007, 14:58
Being a simple soul ... why does anybody want an ANR set anyway ?
I have happily done all my flying with DCs and now have a perfectly good set of 13.4s.

I'd rather be able to hear if the donk starts making a funny noise that sit in quiet oblivion.

Bose-X virtually no clamping, incredible light weight. You can still hear everything you need to but it takes out the annoying (and damaging drone) which also reduces fatigue. Do a long flight with them and you will know what you spent your money on.

3bars
12th Mar 2007, 14:59
Take a look at the Lightspeed 20xlc, half the price and a very impressive headset:D

JUST-local
12th Mar 2007, 23:42
I got some X11's from Santa and so far am very pleased with them.

I have been using 13.4's for five years and found these good also but not a patch on the new set!

On the plus side I found the new ANR's to be significantly lighter, more comfortable, no head compression at all, easy to adjust and put on, they look good with the carbon fibre (even in green) and most importantly the ANR bit works for me I flew 3.5 hours today and can tell the difference between doing a similar trip with 13.4's.

Negatives - Price (cheers Santa), If you forget to switch the ANR switch on before you taxi you get a very strange sensation like having sea shells on your ears? and your average SEP sounds like a chainsaw in a bin, last week the headset did have a fight with a cabin speaker - lots of strange Dolphin noises coming from it when in the vicinity of the headset, this fortunately stopped before we taxied! The battery pack is a little awkward to position comfortably, would be no good for aeros (but neither am I!).

Despite the negatives I like it and would recommend one to a friend!

Cheers............

Bandit650
19th Mar 2007, 13:41
Tried on a number of headsets in the shop last week. By far, the X11 were the most comfortable. So bought them on condition I could return them if wasn't happy with them in flight.

Tried them on Friday on a short-hop and on a long 1.2hr IMC renewal trip Saturday.

Abosultely terrific. No ear ringing. Nothing. Clarity of audio so much better too. Bit pricey, but not dissapointed.

Thanks all for comments anyway.

Rod1
19th Mar 2007, 16:30
Glad you are pleased with the X11. Did you try the Bose, as I agree with Bose X that the Bose is very very good.

Rod1

tiggermoth
19th Mar 2007, 18:25
Bandit,

Glad you're pleased with them at least. Perhaps in time I'll get to like mine.

Comfy, yes. Noise reducing, not very.

T.

Diddley Dee
19th Mar 2007, 19:17
Not Tried the Bose-x but bought X11s about 3 months ago. Very impressed had 13.4s before that & I find them much more comfortable and am impressed with the ANR.

I would also recommend but I reiterate, I havent tried the Bose-x.

DD

flyingsteve55
19th Mar 2007, 19:27
Sorry if this is off thread but............ PompeyPaul you couldn't be the same who frequents Beesotted (Brentford FC fanzine site for the uninitiated)

PompeyPaul
19th Mar 2007, 22:12
Nope, tisn't me. I actually did a search on google for PompeyPaul and found there is some swinger using the name too.

I can also assure you that I am not he.