PDA

View Full Version : PPL vs. CPL

lvarga
6th Mar 2007, 20:52
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but I'm asking anyway.
I had my PPL in Hungary 12 years ago; I had altogether maybe 80 hours in those days and no experience since then.
I'm considering to redo my PPL training here in the UK and also to get instrument rating, multi-engine, etc.
My long-term ambition is to be a properly prepared "owner-pilot" who is able to fly with a "safety-pilot" on regular basis.
Do I need CPL to do so?
If I leave in NW London which flying school is most recommended to start the process?

MIKECR
7th Mar 2007, 07:34
If your not planning on flying for hire or reward then no, you dont need a cpl. You can quite easily add a multi IR to the PPL. You will have to do the IR written exams though.

lvarga
7th Mar 2007, 07:56
Thank you for the reply! If I want to do the basic PPL course again as well (45 hrs would be enough practice to bring back what I forgot in the past 10 yrs and I need to learn properly the english terminology) is two years part time learning and practice enough to get from zero to have the sufficient rating to fly in the right seat of a small-size jet (with a professional as a safety pilot)?

the dean
7th Mar 2007, 08:14
hi ivarga,

why go to the trouble of doing the full PPL again.

you should approach the CAA and ask what they would require.it will certainly involve flying ( and that will serve two purposes...1 to help you renew your skills...and ..2 help you with english terminology.

you will almost certainly be required to do exams...but you might save some momey in the amount of flying you need to do to brush up for a flight test.

you will be surprised that you may noy have lost as much skill as you think..( depending on the quality of your earlier instruction.)i have instructed many people over the years that were away from flying for several years...its not so difficult to get back to as you might imagine.

why bother with a CPL if you are not going to fly for a living...the medicals are more stringent and expensive than for PPL ( i am in JAAland not england but i am sure your class 1 medical for CPL and class 2 for PPL are a bit like ours.

good luck.:ok:

the dean

J.A.F.O.
7th Mar 2007, 11:05
Ivarga

Check your PMs.

IO540
7th Mar 2007, 11:23
There are very few areas of light aircraft operation where a CPL (whether JAA or FAA) gives you anything useful in terms of legal privileges, outside of a full AOC operation.

If doing the FAA PPL/IR route however, an FAA CPL is not hard to do and represents some good useful flying skills which will make you a better pilot.

The JAA CPL is much more about memorising a load of stuff for the exams.

lvarga
7th Mar 2007, 13:20
Thank you for all the help.
According to CAA my old Hungarian PPL is not recognized here, I have to resit the exams in the UK accordingly. Cabair is running flying schools at convenient locations for me, are they someone worth trying?

IO540
7th Mar 2007, 13:47
According to CAA my old Hungarian PPL is not recognized here

Can you ask them for a justification?

If it is an ICAO PPL then you can fly a G-reg aircraft on it.

Reference: Air Navigation Order 2005 Article 26 (4)

Since everything not prohibited is permitted, this allows you to fly a G-reg on any ICAO (non-JAA) PPL worldwide VFR in airspace Class B,C,D,E,F,G.

Chilli Monster
7th Mar 2007, 15:24
two years part time learning and practice enough to get from zero to have the sufficient rating to fly in the right seat of a small-size jet (with a professional as a safety pilot)?

Not impossible, but the learning curve will be steep. Which jet are you thinking of? What are you hoping to do with it? How do you foresee operating it? (in terms of crewing - it's your aircraft after all).

I would speak to someone who understands jet ops and licensing - check you PM's