PDA

View Full Version : UK Forces "Very Stretched"

edwardspannerhands
6th Mar 2007, 15:27
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6423003.stm

ORAC
6th Mar 2007, 15:40
BBC: British forces 'very stretched'

Britain's armed forces are "very stretched" by operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, the chief of the defence staff has told MPs. Air chief marshal Sir Jock Stirrup told the defence committee there was "not much more left in the locker". Commitments had been greater and gone on longer than planned, he told MPs. "We are able to sustain what we are doing at the moment but in the not too distant future we need something to change," he added.

Sir Jock said he had been encouraged by recent announcements on troop withdrawals in Iraq. But even if withdrawals continued as expected, Britain would not be able to fight another war for "some years" because of the impact operations in Iraq and Afghanistan have had on training.

"If we are able to reduce the operational tempo, as we hope and intend to, over the next 18 months - and we achieved the first very slight loosening of the screw just recently - then we should be in a position to reinstate some of this training. But quite clearly we are not going to be in the business of engaging in large-scale, high-end war fighting operations for some years to come. Because not only do we need to conclude what we are currently doing, or at least bring the levels down, we will need to train a new generation of people."

All three armed forces were short of manpower, said Sir Jock, and personnel were being kept away from their home bases for longer, without leave, than recommended. If operations continued at the current level for longer than expected, there would have to be a major rethink, he added.

"We will either at some stage, in the not too distant future, need to reduce the overall level of commitment, or we are going to think about the overall force structure." The armed forces could cope with redeployment to Afghanistan, but there was "not much more left in the locker," he told MPs. "We do have other capacity for certain emergencies but it's pretty limited," he added.

He also suggested Britain would have to increase defence spending.
Britain was likely to face high demands on its armed forces in the years ahead because of continuing global instability and that was going to "need the right level of investment," said Sir Jock. Asked if he believed Britain would have to spend a greater share of its national income on defence, a smiling Sir Jock said: "You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment."

He said the government would decide in the next 12 months on future military spending priorities, and it would become clear then whether there was a need for a more wide-ranging defence review...........

South Bound
6th Mar 2007, 15:46
I prefer the term 'taut'...

Gainesy
6th Mar 2007, 15:47
a smiling Sir Jock said: "You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment."

Why on Earth could he have not just said "YES"? Pillock.

samuraimatt
6th Mar 2007, 15:48
I note with sadness that another Royal Marine from 42 Cmd has been lost in Afghanistan today in a pre-planned operation.

I've_got a traveller
6th Mar 2007, 15:54
Jock Stirrup gives all that 'blah' then say's that he can't possibly comment!!!! Idiot!!! All he has to say is YES!!!!!!!!! TW~T!!!!

edwardspannerhands
6th Mar 2007, 16:01
What? And risk that pension! that'll be 'Shinning Bright'.:oh:

An Teallach
6th Mar 2007, 16:06
He did say "Yes".

The 'you might think that ...' formula comes from Francis Urquhart (F.U. - Geddit?) in the drama "House of Cards".

It's a bit of a wittier way of saying yes in such circumstances: CDS asks for bigger Defence Vote, Bears Sh1t in Woods, Pope Heidbutts Runway - take your pick.

BRASSEMUP
6th Mar 2007, 16:08
Stretch as in stretch Armstrong? I think its a case of last one out switch off the lights!!!!!!
S*d the pension the tax man will get it anyway!

edwardspannerhands
6th Mar 2007, 16:13
The only people left will be the FNG's - and they won't know where to find the light switch or how to turn it off!!

Truckkie
6th Mar 2007, 16:20
Not sure about stretched - more like breaking point.

315 operational days away in last 24 months - 6 months planned this year having completed 6 weeks already.

Airframes that are late from servicing-falling apart, inadequate kit, no training, poor pay rise, crap housing, no managed career path etc etc....

ATPL in back pocket with 2 years to do - don't think I'll be staying irrespective of Defence spending.

CDS - tell them how it is FFS!!!:ugh:

BRASSEMUP
6th Mar 2007, 16:24
Amen.........................nobody's got 2 years! oops sorry i've already handed my kit in.

London Mil
6th Mar 2007, 16:28
Truckkie, they could make you stay. :eek:

BEagle
6th Mar 2007, 16:36
The applied strain already applied has now stretched the UK's Armed Forces beyond the elastic limit.

And we know what happens when strain continues to be applied beyond that point........

....fracture!

WPH
6th Mar 2007, 16:41
An Teallach, well said, Yes, is precisely what he said!:D

Whatever we all think about our seniors I still have the (misguided?) confidence that what they say in public is not always what is being said behind closed doors!

Do we really want the head of the Armed Forces bleating about our precise weaknesses in an open forum where it's instantly available to anybody with a www connection worldwide? Do we really want our morale being stamped on even more by the blokes at the top constantly whingeing too?

Perhaps I'm wrong but I think a statement like this lets intelligent people read between the lines and to me makes it a little clearer exactly what they might be saying behind closed doors - which I hope is a little more frank!

Or perhaps I'm just naive!

LFFC
6th Mar 2007, 16:46
Truckkie: "ATPL in back pocket with 2 years to do - don't think I'll be staying irrespective of Defence spending".

But won't that new FRI keep you in? :E

edwardspannerhands
6th Mar 2007, 16:53
Quote; "Commitments had been greater and gone on longer than planned"

Sounds like some people in the 'Ivory Towers' have never heard of the 5 P's. Did they really think we'd storm into Baghdad or Kabul then all be home in time for tea and medals??

mcs7
6th Mar 2007, 22:25
Is this what we have been waiting for ladies and gents

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6423003.stm

Will it do us any good?

pigsinspace
7th Mar 2007, 06:22
no it will do no good.. Tony BLiar will just withdrawn more troops from Iraq
(to look good in the publics eyes) then send them to Afghanistan.

Mr Blake
7th Mar 2007, 08:32
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=440462&in_page_id=1770

Some more meat on the bones, and a few interesting details. Sir Jock finally raises his head above the parapet.

ChiefWiggum
7th Mar 2007, 09:28
CDS is not the first one to make this comment and will probably not be the last. His remarks are simply stating the obvious. It will make no difference to our current level of commitment.:sad:

Anton Meyer
7th Mar 2007, 09:42
This is old news....we all knew this.

But what we didn't know is further down the page to the above link, the one about a brother and sister attempting to legalise incest in Germany...wtx?!

jayteeto
7th Mar 2007, 14:02
Give the bloke a break!! This site has been packed with people telling him to speak up for the troops. He has!! Give a bit of credit. When he says "I couldn't possibly comment", he is being more scathing of the government than if he simply said yes. He is implying that the men 'upstairs' will not like his comments and is making them look foolish.

Biggus
7th Mar 2007, 20:27
jayteeto

In terms of clarification I believe that many people on these sort of forums have been asking/expecting/hoping CAS to speak up on the behalf of the RAF, as the other single service chiefs have done recently, as opposed to CDS speak up on behalf of the armed forces in general. Not that I necessarily agree with that approach myself......

I also believe that CDS comments were made as part of a question and answer session with a Defence Committe of MPs, rather than going out of his way to make comments at a 'normal' function - an act which would be seen to be more critical of government policy.......