PDA

View Full Version : How much fuel do you carry

oicur12
6th Mar 2007, 05:10
I know its a silly question, but how much is enuff. My company has a fuel policy based on min fuel and nothing more as mandated by our totally outdated governing body.

So our fuel load does not change according to different weather conditions. TS for example. If the destination and alternate indicate tempo TS, we are not required to carry extra fuel as long as the viz is not less than min for landing and viz at alternate is not less than min for landing plus a small margin of 200m. Snow at destination and alternate require nothing extra. Traffic volume requires nothing extra.

Obviously, prudent crews take extra fuel but its not required and in fact frowned upon. We have the fuel chart wall of shame trying to force less fuel carriage to cut costs.

So I guess I am trying to find some sort of guidance is issued by FAA or ICAO or some authority or airline that can be used as guidance for fuel carriage. In Australia, fuel carriage has complex requirments based on alternate minimums, TS, traffic holding etc that are just not referred to in Asia.

A-3TWENTY
6th Mar 2007, 06:01
So , you ha ve two choices:

1. You carry more fuel and go to the wall of shame or

2.Don`t hesitate in divert if you are at minimum fuel and you find TS over the airport or have to hold for runway cleaning up during cold weather.

In my company we are allowed to carry up to 400 kgs without justifying .Above of it , if you have a good reason as meteo for example, you can increase the uplift at your discretion.

Cheers

JuanTerGo
18th Mar 2007, 23:45
I am frankly shocked that there are companies that place such pressures on Captains.

If you, as Captain, decide to carry extra that should be an end to it. To 'shame' or require explanations seems to place a pressure to 'press on' when you could really do with the juice. Happy to say my own comany places not such pressure but allows you to secretly check your extra carriage against the average so you can still see if you are wildly profligate compared to others.

411A
19th Mar 2007, 01:06
Well, I dunno, but THIS Captain uplifts as much extra fuel as he darn well pleases, and the company says...nothing.
Nada.
Zip.
The concerned company relies upon its Commanders to exercise proper fuel uplift, and it works like a charm.
Every time.

Brian Abraham
19th Mar 2007, 02:17
oicur12 - what airline so I can cross it off my list? :eek:
411A - what airline so I can put it at the top of my list? :D

gengis
19th Mar 2007, 04:50
the only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire!!! :rolleyes:

Aurigny CAPTAIN
19th Mar 2007, 23:30
and fuel is cheaper in the UK than in the channel Islands ! :ok:

fmgc
20th Mar 2007, 00:15
For once I agree with 411A, I carry as much as I see fit and the Company never asks a question about it.

PantLoad
20th Mar 2007, 02:22
I suspect 411A's reputation within his company is that of being prudent and proper. That's why he gets no grief from management (assuming it's a non-union environment).

Do what you need to do to be safe and legal. If management has a problem with that, leave the company and tell the world.

PantLoad