PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia

BCS112
2nd Mar 2007, 10:50
Hi all,

We are in the planning stages of our annual "big VFR flight through Europe".
Every year, me and some friends undertake a 4-5 day flight from our homebase in Ostend (BE) through Europe. This year we are planning a flight through South-Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Italy and then back over/through the Alps to Austria, Germany and Belgium.

We don't have any experience with flying in Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina so does anyone here have experience with flying in these countries ?

- Should we bring extra paperwork (apart from an international passport) if we fly there ?
- Are VFR flights welcome in these countries or do they make live miserable for GA ?
- How are the landing fees ?
- Availability and pricing of AVGAS ?
- Any region we should or should not go to ?
- Is flying over the Mediterranian tourist areas in Croatia a problem ?
- Any particular airport that we should not miss when we are there ?
- What about Sarajevo, should we go there. In Google earth it certainly looks like a very nice place with the mountains...

Any other tips or personal experiences are welcome !

Thanks,
Björn

AfricanEagle
2nd Mar 2007, 12:50
Björn,

Croatia: never had any problems flying VFR. Been to Pula, Losinji, Zadar and Brac (also Hvar but it is just a dirt strip among fields without any facilities)

- File a flight plan and off you go.
- You will be under radar coverage/directions at all times.
- Avgas is readily available and cheap (less than 1 euro/liter last time I went - July 06)
- landing / handling fees acceptable.
- I've always found airport people to be friendly, smiling and helpful.

Sarajevo: you will need PPR. no Avgas available, landing / handling fees acceptable. They will request you climb to FL105 for radar coverage along airways. It was a bit much for the C152 so on the return flight I said I was unable to comply and flew at 6500ft among the mountains, no radio contact until the Croatian border.

Croatia and Bosnia are still not "schegen" (I think) so customs will be required. Take along aircraft documents.

Enjoy, they are lovely places.

IO540
2nd Mar 2007, 13:21
Slovenia (Ljubljana) is easy and so is Croatia (Dubrovnik). Did them last year, along with Albania (Tirana).

AfricanEagle
2nd Mar 2007, 13:30
Björn, just beware that Tirana (Albania) is expensive: landing fees amounted to 150 euro for a C152 :ouch: