PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Nav Question

PompeyPaul
28th Feb 2007, 11:34
Without using a map, estimate the approximate distance (in nautical miles) between Aberporth airfield (N5207 W00433) and RAF Valley (N5315 W00432)

I'm not really sure how to get this to work, so roughly I'm thinking this is 53degees & 15minutes minus 52degrees & 07 minutes. Which is 1 degree and 8 minutes ? And that is 60 nautical miles per degree so that is 60 * (1+8/60) which is 68Nm ? Is that correct ?

I'm also presuming that there are 60 minutes in a degree, and 60 seconds in a minute ? Is that true ?

foxmoth
28th Feb 2007, 12:24
Look at the longitude - near as dammit the same, so yes you are correct.:ok:

JP1
28th Feb 2007, 12:24
Yes, that is correct.

1 nm is the arc subtended at the earths circumference by a angle of 1 minute at the earths centre.

So if you considered the earth a perfect sphere ( it is not, but the error is not significant) then the distance (circumference) around the centre of the sphere, is 360 degrees X 60 minutes = 21600 nm

Or as you put it 21600 nm divided by (360 degrees x 60 minutes) = 1 nm.

But for longitude this relationship only holds true at the equator, as you move North or South a distance of 1 minute of longitude is now smaller than 1nm.

Very bady explained without a diagam, but if you are calculating distances between latitudes you can use the rule 1 degree = 60nm

For Longitude it only holds at the equator, otherwise its 1 degree = 60nm*cos(latitude)

Hope that hasn't confused you:{

So in your example you are effectively moving due North and the calculation you have done is correct. If the 2 co-ords were due east/west of each other then the calculation would not be correct.

AlexEvans
3rd Mar 2007, 01:39
Do you think they would be mean enough to put an East/West longitude calculation (at a latitude other than at the equator) in the exam paper? Are calculators allowed?

Whirlybird
3rd Mar 2007, 06:45
Only in a CPL exam paper. Unless they've changed the rules drastically in the last couple of years.

AlexEvans
3rd Mar 2007, 08:30
Hi Whirly. What about a flight computer?

Whirlybird
3rd Mar 2007, 15:04
Alex, sorry - my answer was ambiguous....
Do you think they would be mean enough to put an East/West longitude calculation (at a latitude other than at the equator) in the exam paper?
AFAIK, that sort of calculation is CPL level.
Are calculators allowed?
Can't remember! I don't think so. But whizzwheels definitely are.

1d2d3d4d
3rd Mar 2007, 21:10
For longitude can you not scale the distance against latitude using the minutes as nm?

Chris

Ni Thomas
4th Mar 2007, 10:50
In practical terms - On the CAA charts (Lamberts Conformal Conic Projection) measure the distance betwixt the two points with your dividers and then read off the measured disance using the Latitude scale (use the latitude scale alongside the approx. area of your journey)

And just to confuse matters .....
In Navigational terms: You can use a Haversine formula to gain the great circle distance - Thus :-
Hav(Dist) = Hav((90-LatA)~(90-LatB))+Hav(longA-LongB) x Sin(90-LatA) x Sin(90-LatB) :8

If you want to use Excel to help the sums for you you could use:-
60*SQRT((LatA-LatB)^2+(COS(((LatA+LatB)/2)/RadConv)*(LongA-LongB))^2)) :ooh: :8
(Where RadConv = 180/PI()) to do the radian/degrees conversion)

ComJam
4th Mar 2007, 11:16
When i did the exams (roughly 820 years ago :) ) there were no calculators allowed, you had to use a "whizz-wheel". Now though.........who knows, you don't even have to sit a morse exam anymore!!

Crash one
4th Mar 2007, 17:05
Yes but the world was bigger then, Aviation has shrunk it, or so we are told;)

homeguard
4th Mar 2007, 17:26
For the PPL navigation exam you are provided with 1:500,000 southern chart. Use of a standard navigation scale ruler and a protractor is all that is required. On such a chart scale may be considered the same in all directions. However to answer your question - 1 minute of arc on a great circle = 1 nm but only on a great circle. You are not allowed a calculator but must use the whiz-wheel for all calculations (or long hand if your good at sums but to get the same answer as the CAA use the whiz-wheel for that is what they have used).
You will not be required to scale using change lat/long. You will be required to identify a position by reference to lat and long figures. Seconds may be given as 60ths of a minute or in divisions of a hundred. Count the digits given to be sure.