PDA

View Full Version : CPL 300nm X-country requirement

A330 Dreamer
25th Feb 2007, 21:03
Hi,

just looking for suggestions as 2 typical places in england to visit as part of this CPL pre-requisite. I'd be flying from Prestwick in south west scotland with either a Bolkow Junior or PA-28.

I've been advised that sherburn-in-elmet is a "must" as part of my hours building so was looking to include this as part of the day.

Regards

IO540
26th Feb 2007, 08:35
Funny that; I have to do mine too. The UK is a bit short for this kind of thing though! It seems one has to go England-Scotland to make up the distance :)

Some examiners allow this flight if all 3 landings are not on the same day; others do want them on the same day. The FARs don't specify. Bob Lynch FAQ says same-day is not needed, but in the end it is down to the DPE. Annoying, as I have loads of long flights which would qualify.

Whopity
26th Feb 2007, 12:07
What have examiners got to do with it? JAA requirements is for a 300 nm (540Km) VFR cross country flight. Note, "flight" singular not plural, therefore that is assumed to mean one flight with two stops rather than a number of flights on different days. As long as the FTO conducting the training and then the National Authority accept it, it has nothing to do with any examiner.

S-Works
26th Feb 2007, 13:16
I did mine, Leics to Le Touq to Jersey to Leics one summers day a few years ago. Not actually planned for that reason at the time but it came in handy later!

IO540
26th Feb 2007, 15:37
Oh dear, FAA v. JAA confusion again ;)

englishal
26th Feb 2007, 15:45
Funny that; I have to do mine too. The UK is a bit short for this kind of thing though! It seems one has to go England-Scotland to make up the distance
Some examiners allow this flight if all 3 landings are not on the same day; others do want them on the same day. The FARs don't specify. Bob Lynch FAQ says same-day is not needed, but in the end it is down to the DPE. Annoying, as I have loads of long flights which would qualify.
IO, you'll be fine. No DPE in his right mind would say you haven't met the requirments as you have numerous 600nm+ flights logged. Just print out Mr Lynch's FAQs if they give you jip.

Mine was Sedona over two days.

Also, the 2 hour flight will be able to be done under IFR according to the proposed changes to pt 61.

metar
27th Feb 2007, 14:05
I did mine from Fife to Inverness, refuelled at Oban, Islay, Fife... quite a day out. Might inspire you that there are other options if you head north rather than south from Prestwick!

coodem
2nd Mar 2007, 02:23
So Im assuming my flight will count Elstree-Gamston-Perth-Inverness will count? All done in 1 day returned direct the following day. Only reason I stopped at Gamston and Perth was to make it count, Well I hope so anyway