PDA

View Full Version : Does GA exist in Mauritius?

flyingsteve55
22nd Feb 2007, 08:03
Here's my first timepost on this forum. I'm a very low hours PPL who is very slowly trying to build hours and gain experience wherever possible. To that end and as I'm off to Mauritius this year I have been trying to find out if there is any kind of GA activity there. (Have to say I can't see there would be much scope for it but what a great way to get some sight seeing in!) I found references to an aero club that had a Robin (3B-CIF) circa 2002 but all links seem to have dried up.

Does anyone know if there is any single engine piston activity there, let alone rental opportunities? If so (and I'm not hopeful) details would be welcomed together with info on license validation.

Rocket2
22nd Feb 2007, 09:47
Went there a couple of years ago, loved every minute & can't wait to return, but couldn't find any GA aircraft. Air Mauritius operate a few Jetrangers that fly rich folk to the various golf courses & hotels but little else. Apart from anything else there is absolutely nowhere to land if the donkey quits, the island is covered with sugar cane or boulders, landing off shore would be fraught with danger, the coral reef would cut you to ribbons :\ .
PM me if you want some good places to go that may not appear in the tourist guides.

chevvron
22nd Feb 2007, 14:03
Years since I was there but there were a couple of small airstrips in the Grand Baie area north end of the island at one time, used to have C150/172s I believe.

Jerico
22nd Feb 2007, 21:12
I flew the Robin in Mauritius back in 1997 owned by a great guy, but I heard a couple of years ago that it had moved on. I seem to remember that it was a major ferry operation getting it there.
Not had any update for the last couple of years, so not much help I know!