PDA

View Full Version : Licence Renewal - How do I get it back?

sennadog
21st Feb 2007, 18:48
Hi folks,

having got seriously side tracked over the last few years with cars and houses I'm planning to get back into aviation, hopefully renewing my licence and finding a decent farm strip to fly out of.

However, with the exception of an hour or so last year I haven't flown since 2004. Do I have to do all those exams again or will a few hours and a GFT get me back in the air?

I appreciate this question has probably been asked ad infinitum but I'm too lazy/tired to do a proper search.

Ta.

:ok:

IRRenewal
21st Feb 2007, 19:40
Provided your ratings (not your licence) has lapsed less than 5 years, a couple of hours and a flight test should get you going again.

Hour Builder
21st Feb 2007, 21:24
From Lasors
F1.5 RENEWAL OF SINGLE-ENGINE PISTON – SEP (LAND), TMG CLASS RATINGS
Where licence holders have been unable to renew a SEP (Land) or TMG Class Rating for a period not exceeding 5 years from the date of expiry, they will be required to complete the following requirements:
i) The CAA will require no mandatory additional training. Applicants should complete training at their own discretion sufficient to pass the SkillTest.
ii) Complete the Skill Test in accordance with Appendices 1 & 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 with a JAR Authorised Examiner. For renewal of an instrument rating if held, please refer to Section E1.5.
iii) Pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination conducted by the Examiner as part of the skill test.
iv) A UK Authorised Examiner can sign the Certificate of Revalidation page (FCL150CJAR) within a UK national pilot’s licence. An Examiner qualified in accordance with JAR-FCL (in any fully compliant JAA Member State) can sign a Certificate of Revalidation page within a JAR-FCL licence. The LST/LPC form, completed as a renewal, should be sent to CAA PLD.
v) The CAA will charge no fee provided that the Examiner signs the Certificate of Revalidation.

bottom rung
22nd Feb 2007, 06:51
I'm in the same position, except I haven't exercised the priviliges of my licence for about 7 years. Also, I have a CAA PPL rather than a JAR one. What would I have to do to get legal (and safe) again?

Hour Builder
22nd Feb 2007, 08:57
Same section in Lasors

Where licence holders have been unable to renew a SEP (Land) or TMG Class Rating for a period exceeding 5 years from the date of expiry, they will be required to complete the following requirements:

i) Complete the Skill Test in accordance with Appendices 1 & 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 with a JAR Authorised Examiner.
ii) Pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination conducted by the Examiner as part of the Skill Test.
iii) The LST/LPC form, completed as a renewal, should be sent to CAA PLD for endorsement, together with the appropriate fee as per the Scheme of Charges.
iv) The Examiner should make no licence entry.

Wessex Boy
22nd Feb 2007, 09:36
I am in the process of re-validating after a gap of 17 years, this is what I have to do:

Skills Test with CFI
Oral Exam covering all Subjects with CFI

That's it!

This is what I am actually doing:
Abridged full PPL Syllabus of Flying Training
Re-Sit of Air Law (a Lot has changed in the 20 years since I took it last)
X Country
Skills test with CFI
Oral Exam with CFI

I have been amazed with how much has come back Quickly, I am relatively low hours as I only did my 38 to get the PPL plus about another 8, but did do 120 hours as Air Loadmaster on Wessex.

I have just done my first Circuit Session, and am doing Stalling on Saturday, followed by more Circuits to work up to Re-Solo.

Then it is onto Advanced Maneouvres and Navigation, followed by Skills test work-up. I hope to take my Air Law next Month, I am working through the AFE book on the train at the moment and will move onto the PPL confuser after that, it is a lot harder at 37 than it was at 17!!

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Feb 2007, 13:54
I have been amazed with how much has come back Quickly
After around 13 years not flying I went through most of the PPL course at about twice the usual speed.

BEagle
23rd Feb 2007, 07:00
Wessex Boy - why are you taking the Air Law exam? You are not permitted to see the exam papers unless you are taking the exam as a mandatory requirement - there is no such requirement in your case, so I believe that you should NOT sit the 'real' exam.

Surely it would be better to study, then self-test using the PPL Confuser?

Hour Builder
23rd Feb 2007, 19:10
Beagle

What you said is advisable with regards to learning Air Law, rather then just studying the confuser.

However, it is also advisable (even if not a requirement) to sit Air law if a pilot has not been flying for a while. Again, studying for it is a must, taking the exam is not.

However there is nothing wrong with sitting the exam even though its not required.

HB

BEagle
23rd Feb 2007, 20:03
As an Examiner I disagree.

CAA Exam Papers are only to be used for mandatory examination requirements - not for some local flying club purpose.

BEagle
24th Feb 2007, 06:51
For the old brown card, the requirement is still the same.....

Sufficient training to take the SEP Class Rating renewal LST (NOT the full PPL Skill Test).
JAA Class 2 Medical Certificate.
Pass the SEP Class Rating renewal LPC and an oral examination with the Examiner.
NO EXAMS
Send it all off to the CAA, plus the relevant payment.

And that's all! The training is intentionally discretionary, so that it can be tailored to the needs of the applicant - there is no minimum time figure.

Hour Builder
24th Feb 2007, 09:22
Beagle

Feel free to show me where it says these papers are not to be taken if not required, for someone wanting to resit air law etc that hasnt flown in 15 years.

HB

paul 2007
24th Feb 2007, 09:42
Fixed wing PPL - about 20 or 25 years ago (have to dig out log books to check)

What are the requirements to be able to fly (private only)
or would doing a Rec. Aviation course be better ??

BEagle
24th Feb 2007, 11:15
HB, the exams are only to be used for official purposes. Hence the PPL(A) exam papers may only be used where a mandatory requirement exists; nowadays this means for initial grant of a PPL(A).

It is not up to some flying school CFI to decide that it's a good idea for someone renewing a PPL to use the official CAA exams for that purpose. If you don't believe me, ask PLD Approvals Support.

Nothing wrong with a CFI writing his/her own Air Law exam if he/she wants to - but the official CAA exams may not be used for this purpose.

Wessex Boy
25th Feb 2007, 20:39
All,
thanks for your comments on my campaign to re-validate.
Let me start by saying that my main concern is that when I re-gain my Validity , I feel that I am competent enough to fly my Wife and 2 young children in a safe and professional Manner.

I gained my PPL in 1986 on an RAF Flying Scholarship, but was unable to keep it current once I was thrown out of the RAF (long story over a beer sometime...) Obviously I also took a number of Air Law exams whilst training to be an Air Loadmaster, including International Ops, Dangerous Air Cargo and ICAO In-Flight Catering (Handy in a Wessex...:) )

When I discussed my plan with Gavin Forrest at Conington we went through Lasors to see what was required from a Regulatory point of view, and then we looked at what the process would look like from a Common-sense and safety angle.

As there has been some minor changes in the Rules and Operations of the air in the past 21 years (JAA, Interception Procedures, etc) it was viewed that I should re-take Air Law.

I have not discussed with Gavin exactly what form that should take, my feeling is that I would take a Past/sample paper under exam conditions to demonstrate that I had bought myself back up to PPL standard.

I went flying on Saturday and intended to discuss this with my CFI but he was unavailable when I landed, I will call him during the week and clear this up.

I take a very military, disciplined approach to my flying, I just want to be safe and enjoy myself, and hopefully impart my love of aviation and flying onto my Kids:)

BEagle
25th Feb 2007, 21:29
Past exam papers must be either destroyed or returned to Approvals Support.

You may NOT use them for practice!

Just get the school to use some questions from the PPL Confuser and/or LASORS, Safety Sense Leaflets etc.

BEagle
25th Feb 2007, 21:55
The requirement to take the Human Performance exam is no longer stated in LASORS - presumably it is intended that suitable questions will be set in the Oral Examination to be taken with the LST (Licensing Skill Test).

LPC - Licensing Proficiency Check. One option for the revalidation of a SEP Class Rating. The LST is required for renewal.

There is virtually no difference in the content of the LPC and LST, although the LST will probably require more navigation. But the manner in which they are conducted is supposed to be slightly different, with the LST being more of a 'test' than a 'check'.....:rolleyes:

Wessex Boy
26th Feb 2007, 08:02
I told my CFI I would self-Study the Human Factors stuff, but I covered a lot of it in the RAF, as Crew Management/dynamics was coming to prominence then, and I did the Aero-Med Course at North Luffenham which included some interesting Practicals not usually on the PPL Syllabus:

Dis-orientation box (Black box that spins around to demonstrate the affect of losing ones horizon and the tricks the semi-circular ear canals can play)
High Pressure Oxygen Breathing (probably more useful for Canberra rather than Piper Crews)
Rapid Decompression and the effects of Hypoxia in the Decompression Chamber.

I will talk to my CFI to see what form the exam will take.

I expect that the desired out come of both the LST and LPC is to ensure that the candidate is safe and fit to fly.

Hour Builder
5th Mar 2007, 17:02
HB, the exams are only to be used for official purposes. Hence the PPL(A) exam papers may only be used where a mandatory requirement exists; nowadays this means for initial grant of a PPL(A).
It is not up to some flying school CFI to decide that it's a good idea for someone renewing a PPL to use the official CAA exams for that purpose. If you don't believe me, ask PLD Approvals Support.

BEagle, I spoke with PLD Approvals support today and they agreed with me. There is nothing set in stone stopping pilots wanting to sit an Air Law PPL exam etc as part of a refresher when they haven't flown in a while. Even though its not a requirement to do so.

HB

Golf Alpha Whisky
6th Mar 2007, 14:10
BEagle isn't your approach a little bit "jobsworth"? I cannot think of a single negative reason and lots of positive reasons in wanting to resit an exam. Perhaps you could expand on your logic.

I rather commend someone who actively wants to be formally assessed in an important subject such as "Air Law" after a significant period of absence from the skies.

I'm actually doing a refresher myself after a mere "winter" of absence though I don't personally feel complelled to do an "exam" I can totally understand the logic behind it after a long period away.