PDA

View Full Version : Osprey done in by chip

barit1
20th Feb 2007, 15:21
This chip (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/16669929.htm) in the flight control computer has V-22's temporarily grounded. Seems that a "minor change" 4 years ago wasn't so minor.

Safeware
20th Feb 2007, 16:17
Not BAES, butBAE had used a "functionally identical" chip has been a problem before around these parts. :(

And given that Mil Spec isn't nearly as popular as it was before, will probably happen again somewhere.

sw

Always a Sapper
20th Feb 2007, 19:34
Not BAES, but

BAE had used a "functionally identical" chip

has been a problem before around these parts.

And given that Mil Spec isn't nearly as popular as it was before, will probably happen again somewhere.

sw

No knows at this point how many of the 150-plus computers installed on the operational V-22s contain the defective chip. Before 2003, Darcy said, BAE had used a "functionally identical" chip made by another manufacturer. Tests showed that there was no problem with those chips.

My Bold....

Safeware, it appears that the Mil Spec chip made by Texas Instruments is the faulty one, not the 'functionally identical' chip.... sadly it is often the case that 'Mil Spec' equates to the cheapest piece of junk the DoE/MOD contractor can get his hands on, splash with green paint, stamp a nsn on and pass on at a grossly inflated price. NOT that one would suggest that to be the case here....

Safeware
20th Feb 2007, 19:48
Sapper,

My reading of this was different to your:

Before 2003 there was a different supplier, and no problems with chips ( => Mil Spec chip?) After 03, a new supplier, and now problems. (non-Mil Spec chip?)

sw

Always a Sapper
20th Feb 2007, 20:18
Sorry Safeware, but...

The problem was detected in a routine ground start-up test of a new V-22 at the Bell assembly plant in Amarillo, Darcy said. The probability of a problem occurring in flight was low, Darcy said, "but if it occurred, the consequences could be very serious," so officials decided to ground the fleet.

The V-22 is a complex hybrid aircraft designed to carry troops and military cargo from bases or ships into combat zones. By rotating its wingtip-mounted turboprop engines, the aircraft can take off and land like a helicopter but fly at airplane speeds.

All the V-22s built to date use flight-control computer systems supplied by BAE Systems, Darcy said, and the chip in question is manufactured by Dallas-based Texas Instruments.

After analyzing the computer malfunction in Amarillo, engineers found that the chip reacted poorly in cold temperatures -- mostly subzero temperatures, but in one instance 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

Design specifications call for the computers to work at 65 degrees below zero, Darcy said.

No knows at this point how many of the 150-plus computers installed on the operational V-22s contain the defective chip. Before 2003, Darcy said, BAE had used a "functionally identical" chip made by another manufacturer. Tests showed that there was no problem with those chips.

Deducing from the article indicating that it was a new frame and Darcy stating BAE had used a 'functionally identical' chip before 2003 I was led to believe they were refering to the Texas Instrument chip. But to be honest either of the chips could be to 'Mil Spec' the article does not indicate either way although it does imply.

Either way I hope they get it sorted before they deploy the aircraft, I would not like to think that fine people who's lives are already on the line are put at more risk due to a bad batch of chips.

barit1
20th Feb 2007, 21:13
Reminds me of an episode 5 or so years ago - NASA had run out of early 8088 chips (IIRC) for legacy equipment -- and went looking on eBay. :rolleyes:

Ginseng
20th Feb 2007, 21:52
I thought this thread was going to be about some protected species choking on a piece of soggy fried potato! Quite spoiled my evening.

Regards

Ginseng

Mactlsm1
20th Feb 2007, 22:18
Posted today by Barit 1
This chip (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/16669929.htm) in the flight control computer has V-22's temporarily grounded. Seems that a "minor change" 4 years ago wasn't so minor.

So how does that apply to the pair of said beasts that I saw flying today off of Tybee Island nr Savannah GA at about 2.50pm EST?

Mac

barit1
20th Feb 2007, 22:38
I think the grounding occurred early this month (the newspaper story is Feb. 10), and the aircraft are being cleared one by one.

Besides, if it's a temperature problem, couldn't one simply avoid the problem temperature regime? (I don't submit that's the case, just suggesting it's a logical interim strategy)

Ray Darbouy
21st Feb 2007, 10:21
Reminds me of an episode 5 or so years ago - NASA had run out of early 8088 chips (IIRC) for legacy equipment -- and went looking on eBay.

IIRC the problem wasn't getting some spares on fleabay, or similar. The prob was that, modern chips being so complex and almost impossible to work out every combination of logic that could happen, they could not be cleared for manned space flight or really expensive deep space shots planned donkeys years before. The 8088 was the only chip that had been cleared for use by being fully logic trapped for every possible combination of circumstances. That being the case, it was vital to get hold of said ancient, out of production chips, that had been kept in a totally controlled process that was logged from manufacture to NASA use. A difficult thing to do, rather than get hold of some back-street junker that might look good but suffer a glitch at a really bad moment!
If you were a suitable organisation that had such stock controlled chips, I remember reading that a fabulous price was on offer!