PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ceconite repair in western kentucky

kentuckynet
20th Feb 2007, 03:17
Hello...im an idiot!
Jack slipped off and went through the bottom of my wing!

Now i really dont wont to do the patchwork...its very small and this is a two part question.

1....could i put some temporary tape over the hole and still fly it?

2....does anyone know someone within 100 miles or so of western kentucky,Nashville,Evansville areas that can do a "perfect" job making this little 2x3 patch????

thanks for your help...i would really appreciate your input.
i am not a painter..even if i could patch it.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/dellsfinest/DSC00256Small.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/dellsfinest/DSC00257Small.jpg

djpil
20th Feb 2007, 04:48
The big question is whether there's any damage inside the fabric.
I suggest you search the yellow pages and contact an A&P mechanic next.
If it is dope, a "perfect" patch should be easy.
Be good to know more before I say any more.

stevef
20th Feb 2007, 06:38
If there's no damage to the spar, I'd use some speedtape and fly the aircraft to a maintenance outfit. Ceconite repairs are very easy: material, SuperSeam cement, an iron (on wool setting) and butyrate non-tautening dope. That repair wouldn't take long.
Now, if it was Irish linen, that would be another story...

Miserlou
20th Feb 2007, 08:15
As above, check for any damage inside, though it does look cosmetic.
Tape it if you want to fly and do the repair yourself.
I'd be tempted to do it as an inspection panel like the one in the first photo. It would then look less like a repair and also the ring would help stiffen the fabric to get better contact on the unsupported material.

kentuckynet
20th Feb 2007, 14:02
thanks for the replies...it is totally cosmetic!
No damage to anything inside.
Whats is speed tape and where would i get it?
My concern not knowing anything about ceconite was could it start to rip/tear in flight and loose lift of that wing???

My thoughts were to tape it as well and fly it somewhere for repair but wanted to make sure i got there alive.

Also i still dont know where to take it?
I had also though about the inspection type plate as well maybe put one to match on the other wing.

Miserlou
20th Feb 2007, 15:24
Sorry, I can't help with an outfit for you to take it to. You're on the wrong side of the pond for that.

Speed tape is part of any engineers kit. Very similar to gaffa tape. You may find a similar product often used by motorbike racers called, funnily enough, racing tape.

I'd not be too worried about flying it with some tape over the hole.

I once accompanied an engineer to a small strip to give an estimate on a repair job. It was a case of vandalism on a small Jodel. Most of the wing panels had been slit with a hobby knife, some as much as 30-40cm, along with some similar damage to the fabric on other parts of airframe.
We agreed that the cheapest way to recover it to our base was to tape it up and for me to fly it out.