PDA

View Full Version : A320 IAE Engine start up

CLbeta
19th Feb 2007, 11:12
Hi,
I was in the sim yesterday and noticed the following. Upon starting engine 2 the N1 display on the upper ECAM does not appear until N2 reaches about 25%. The N1 display is amber and the digital indication contains crosses until 25% N2. The EPR and N2 are available. Does anyone know if this is normal ?? Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
CL

An Paddy Eile
19th Feb 2007, 12:59
Yup!

Perfectly normal! :ok:

On all IAE starts I've seen, the N2 is also amber crossed until about 5% N2 when it suddenly comes alive. As you say, the N1 comes alive mouch later on.

This would apply to both engine starts. Not just the No.2.

MelbPilot85
19th Feb 2007, 13:00
I have my sim in a couple of days, so i will look out for it. I assume you mean just in the sim? Starting up in the plane, the N1 indication doesn't appear until actual N1 is about 3.5% (according to FCOM). The N1 indication isn't reliant upon the N2 indication as such except that N1 won't reach high enough levels until N2 is around the 25% mark, so the indications remain amber crosses. I hope this is what you were looking for, if not, I will do my best to clarify.

yachtno1
19th Feb 2007, 21:56
5% N2 is when the dedicated generator comes on line ..:)

A330AV8R
20th Feb 2007, 10:22
why don't you just git a pair of good old CFM 56 5B's ... and before you can sneez you can ask for Taxi :ok:

CLbeta
22nd Feb 2007, 16:53
Hi,
Thanks for the reply guys. If this occurs in the sim then it should be replicated in the real aircraft. The sim is certified level D. I had a brief look in my FCOM under chapter 70 (powerplant). I could not find anything that states N1 displays amber crosses until N2 is about 25%. Am I looking in the right section? The engine type is V2527-A5. Is there any other documentation that states this?
Cheers,
CL.

JuanTerGo
19th Mar 2007, 00:01
This is absolutely normal for V25 series engines. Apparently, the N1 sensor does not generate a reliable output unitl about 5% (which occurs at about 25% N2). So, you will see this effect on every start-up (A/C and sim).

On the CFM engine you get the N1 displayed but its often a bit wobbly until it get over about 5%.

Hope that helps