PDA

View Full Version : Easy Jet calls for ATC reform - more pressure on uncontrolled airspace?

HAL-26
15th Feb 2007, 14:23
This just appeared on Travel Daily UK, a news website for the travel industry.

It appears to me that EasyJet are now pushing an environmental message for wanting direct point-to-point flights outside of controlled airspace. I've often thought I was cynical in wondering when this would start and add to the pressure for us to carry mode S..........................

Easyjet calls for ATC reform

Easyjet yesterday called for a reform of the European air traffic
control system, as part of efforts to tackle global warming.

Ceo Andy Harrison suggested that the introduction of the Single European
Sky programme could see flying distances cut by 12%, saying the
current system was ‘famously inefficient’.

SES aims to manage traffic based more on actual flight patterns,
rather than the national boundries used at present.

So am I being cynical or are we going to get squeezed out in the search for another "fast buck"? :confused:

Single Spey
15th Feb 2007, 17:04
Simple really - if they want to fly in our airspace then they do so by our rules - maintain VMC and fly ay a speed that allows them to avoid other aircraft using the see and be seen principle. Any rise in incidents due to the inability of commercial traffic to abide by these rules will result of withdrawl of their right to fly outside CAS, tracking and publishing of incidents on the internet, pilot interviews by the appropriate authority and will not result in more CAS being establlished. :)

Flying Farmer
15th Feb 2007, 19:08
Your airspace and your rules! since when? Nothing stopping revenue earning flights outside of CAS other than the fear of someone on a bimble forgetting what they had to do to pass the PPL :ok:

Tell you what you stay under 3000 ft we stay above unless on an instrument approach to a field with just an ATZ if you promise not to cross the localiser at 2500 ft not talking to anyone or using Mode C :E

xrayalpha
15th Feb 2007, 20:07
Hey, they fly into Glasgow at 3k over Baillieston - Class E, which means free-for-all if VFR - all the time.

Cheers,

Colin

ps. It is fun in a micro to see a 77 500ft overhead, but like an eclipse. It all goes dark and you wish for instrument lights!

DC10RealMan
15th Feb 2007, 22:24
Most of the "inefficient and indirect routings" that are referred to are in the upper air (above FL190) where the civil airliners have to route around large areas of airspace reserved for the military. Most civil airports in the UK have the protection of CAS and airways providing that the aircrews wish to use it and I am thinking here for Newcastle and Teeside where civil airliners from the south-easterly direction fly outside CAS as it is more expeditious rather than follow the airways system via POL.

Craggenmore
16th Feb 2007, 12:43
Hey, they fly into Glasgow at 3k over Baillieston - Class E, which means free-for-all if VFR

Glasgow - VFR..................When?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
16th Feb 2007, 12:54
When in Class E in VMC?