PDA

View Full Version : Thruxton Arrival...

StarbucksOne
15th Feb 2007, 09:28
Hi All

Planning to fly into Thruxton on Sunday. Never been before. Pooley's flight guide leaves me a little confused with regard to arrival procedures; specifically liason with Boscombe Down.

Can someone give an insightful description of the way in?

Cheers:ok:

Rocket2
15th Feb 2007, 09:48
Hi Starbucks
Follow the link, nothing to worry about, just keep clear of the big house on the northern side of the airfield. Circuit height 800ft QFE. The tower are very good & will give you all the advice you need. Call well before entering the circuit, all standard stuff. Probably better to use the tarmac runway as the grass ones are very wet at the moment (not sure if they're currently usable).
http://www.westernairthruxton.co.uk/Map.html
I'm working on site Sunday, so PM me if you'd like to meet up in the Jackaroo.
Safe flight
R2

StarbucksOne
15th Feb 2007, 10:38
Cheers mate!
Its either Thruxton or somerwhere else (not sure how much time will have yet) so will be in touch again if its a go to Thruxton.

a4fly
15th Feb 2007, 18:42
I learnt to fly at Thruxton and reckon that it's the best airfield that i've been to regarding air traffic that has a/g only, better in fact than some places offering full a.t.c.! Don't bother with Boscombe if you are arriving low level from the north or east, especially on a Sunday. The reason that the circuit is unusually low, is because when downwind on rwy 25 (right) you could conflict with instrument traffic on final to Boscombe's westerly rwy. Take the advice and stick to the tarmac rwys, if possible.