PDA

View Full Version : Flaps position during de-icing

nnc0
15th Feb 2007, 03:06
Is there any reason out there that flaps would be down during deicing instead of fully retracted?

Merlinrabbi
15th Feb 2007, 03:10
my company's policy is to de-ice with the flaps retracted.

N1 Vibes
15th Feb 2007, 03:38
merely an engine grunt here. but what if there had been maintenance action meaning the flaps were deployed during freezing rain/fog or snow? guess you would leave them out then... :rolleyes:

spannersatcx
15th Feb 2007, 04:44
If the runway is contaminated, snow/slush then flaps should be left out so that we can see if there is any accumulation of snow etc on or around the flaps. Plus if you retract them and they are full of this stuff and it subsequently freezes there could be problems.

Dream Land
15th Feb 2007, 05:19
Should be retracted IMO, if the taxiways are contaminated, delay takeoff configuration until just prior to departure.

nnc0
15th Feb 2007, 05:31
If the runway is contaminated, snow/slush then flaps should be left out so that we can see if there is any accumulation of snow etc on or around the flaps. Plus if you retract them and they are full of this stuff and it subsequently freezes there could be problems.

I would have thought that you catch the possible contamination on the taxi in and shutdown. Then they'd be retracted and shouldn't be extended again until the B T/O check.

flynverted
15th Feb 2007, 12:42
Last airline I worked for, the sop was flaps and slats retracted for de-icing. When I first started de-icing, most of the planes arrived on the pad configured for takeoff. I'd call 'em on the radio and request they configure for de-icing.
"Just de-ice the f:mad:ing plane" was the usual reply.

Talked to the ramp manager about it, he said to just spray 'em however they were configured, but I still called and asked them to configure for de-icing anyhow. That way, I was on the CVR, if anything were to happen, noting that they were not properly configured when we de-iced the plane.

alf5071h
15th Feb 2007, 13:35
Check with the aircraft manufacturer. Some aircraft a flaps-up selection is recommended to prevent de-icing fluid washing out the flap track grease etc. Others require flaps down to provide an anti-icing coating for the hold-over time; if not then alternative taxi checklist procedures may be required where flaps-out selection should be delayed until just before take-off; don’t forget, either way there are hazards.