PDA

View Full Version : Flights Of Fancy

Linedriver
9th Feb 2007, 05:12
A friend, Bill, who has been flying longer than I think even he would care too remember now – (he’s 77 this year and still a very active glider pilot in the UK and still flys in competitions) – sent this to me some years ago. Recently I found it in my filing cabinet and thought that it might be of interest at least to some of those starting out in aviation today, many if not most of whom I suspect could not even imagine launching into the local training area without a radio and a transponder, let alone flying all the way from Melbourne to the very north of Australia without one.

FLIGHTS OF FANCY

I was always the great admirer of the pioneer aviators, particularly those record breakers of the 20s and 30s, in the days when the best long distance aeroplanes were small single engined machines such as the Ryan monoplane, the De Havilland Moths, Avro Avians and such like. I mean to say, Butler managed to break the England to Australia record in a Comper Swift, which must be some all-time record for physical endurance.

So, I dreamt of long, long, flights, marvelled at Max Conrad's efforts in the Piper Comanche, and wondered if I could manage a flight from England to Australia in the footsteps of the record breakers, somehow. Well, that was not to be, but I was fortunate enough to be able to make two quite good flights in the late 1950s and early 1960s, one to Mornington Island in the Gulf of Carpentaria, and the other to Ernabella Mission in Central Australia.

These came about due to Marg, one of my first wife's sisters, being stationed on missions at these places at various times. Marg only had leave every three years, thus providing a good reason to make the trips at about the half way mark.

The best long distance aeroplane in the Royal Victorian Aero Club at the time of the flight to Mornington Island was the Auster J1b Aiglet, really no different from those machines of the 30s. Nominally a three-seater, it had a Gypsy Major engine, a 15 Imperial gallon gravity tank in the scuttle and a 12 gallon half-teardrop shaped long-range tank under the fuselage, all of which together gave an endurance of about 4 hours 20 minutes at some 90 knots. By taking out the rear seat and leaving the radio behind there was a goodly space and capacity for baggage in the back. It may seem strange today to think of leaving the radio behind, but this radio was a huge thing, with lots of valves AND a car battery for power, and no way of re-charging the battery in flight - and where I was going there was nobody to talk to anyway.

I well remember laying out all the Air Navigation Charts for the flight on the floor at Maidstone - they reached right across the sunroom and out into the hall, and the longest cross-country I had yet made was about a hand’s breadth at the bottom corner! After a moment or two in shock, as I wondered as to what I was letting myself in for, I realised the old truth, that you only have to make one step at a time.....but you had better make each of them right.

I touted around for a passenger, since Rosalind's parents would not agree to her coming too. As it turned out, it was quite a gruelling trip, and I'm not sure how Ros would have handled it. Anyhow, young Rex Armytage agreed to come for the experience, although he had never been in a light aircraft before! I took him for an hour flight from Moorabbin the week before, to make sure that he had some idea what was in store - and he still wanted to come!

The afternoon before the start we forgathered at Moorabbin to load up, and I still shudder to think that we didn't weigh anything; we just put it in the back and tied it down!

Next morning, after the DI, warmed up and run up, I taxied out and turned onto the gravel strip and opened the throttle. Well, the first shock; the performance was not what it had been without all that load on board, and we rolled and rolled down the field with the stick against the instrument panel before the tail came up, and then there was a goodly wait until 40 knots registered and we were away, much closer to the upwind boundary than I had ever been before, and with a rate of climb to match. First lesson regarding long distance flights...

We climbed up to clear the mountains, headed for Wagga, settled into the cruise, with the old Gypsy Major booming away - the Auster had only stub exhausts which did make conversation virtually impossible, and was rather tiring also, but then we Pioneers of the Air could take it! However, after a short while at cruise power there was a backfire from the engine, followed a few seconds later by another and then another. Checked everything; no magneto drop, fuel pressure from the long-range tank OK; decision made, back to Moorabbin.

Cowlings off, ground runs OK, test flight OK, nothing wrong. So set off again, and about the same place, the same thing. Feeling a bit less than happy about things, with most of the scenery beneath pretty vertical and covered in trees anyway, decided to press on. I remember spending some time working out a "forced landing in the mountains procedure" as we went along, which seemed to be a bit of a comfort. I had been reading of the technique used by Geiger in the Swiss Alps, landing uphill instead of trying to find a level place, and thought that was probably a goodly idea.

Wagga came up as expected, landed and re-fuelled. Discussed the engine back-firing with the ground staff, but they could find nothing wrong either.

Weather forecast not all that hopeful, low cloud expected on the hills, the dreaded orographic uplift from a South Westerly wind. So we set off for Bankstown, but the forecast was correct, and the low cloud too low to pass beneath, so turned back to Wagga. The wind was now quite strong, and crosswind for the duty runway, which was wet from a recent shower of rain. Kicking off not quite enough of the drift a swing started. Now the Auster had a tailwheel shod with a little solid rubber tyre, steered via bungee cords attached to the rudder, plus mechanical wheel brakes operated from tiny heel pedals sticking up through the floor. The combination was insufficient to stop the swing, which was no doubt much aggravated by an aft CofG due to my haphazard loading. A fine ground loop was the result - and perhaps was at least partly the cause of the fatigue failure of an axle some time later when joy-riding for fund raising for the Lismore Hospital - but that is another story.

We filled up again, unloaded our "cargo" of survival gear, emergency rations, water, etc. and re-loaded it with all the heaviest bits to the front and hangered for the night. Next morning, up bright and early, but the weather didn't clear until afternoon, so we arrived at Bankstown after a beautiful smooth flight, but too late for the next leg. The next morning the forecast was not good, and the Aerodrome Controller took me for a weather flight to the North in a Chipmunk to have a look. It was solid down to the ground, so we stayed at Bankstown. Then it rained. It rained for three days; there were ducks swimming on the airfield! One-Armed Bandits were recently "in", and we were saddened to hear, through the thin walls of our room at the Aero Club, the wife of one of the Controllers lamenting the fact that he had lost his week's pay to the machines.

During this enforced stopover the backfiring was further discussed with the Club mechanics. The verdict was that, at nineteen hundred rpm, I was running the engine too cool. I used 2,000 after that, with a satisfying result.

At last the weather cleared, but the field was very wet and boggy. The Controller thought that, if we backed up close to the fence, where there was a short piece of tarmac, we should have enough lift by the time we got to the soggy grass that we would not bog! There was already a Gannet bogged on the field. (It has only just occurred to me to wonder what would have happened if we had been forced to return to the waterlogged field.) Anyway it worked, and we were away for Coff's Harbour, with easy navigation up the coast.

Fatal euphemism! As the flight developed it became apparent that we were in a race with the sun, and I realised, too late, that the Met. man had given me, not the time of Sundown as requested, but the time of Last Light! And my ETA Coff's Harbour coincided with that time. Twenty minutes of precious daylight denied me - all of my reserve. There was nowhere else to go. I pondered a fall-back solution. If I couldn't find the airfield I was at least OK for fuel, and I knew that it was going to be a Full Moon and we had a clear sky. I reasoned that, if the worst came to the worst, I would fly around until the Moon was giving a reasonable light, then try a landing on the beach! It was not a pleasant solution, and one which almost certainly would finish the Auster, if not the crew also!

Anyway, Luck shines on some, sometimes, whether they deserve it or not, and Lo and Behold, there was the airfield with the runway lights on and a DC3 taxying in. Turned onto Base, around and landed. Pitch dark! "Please get out and walk ahead Rex, so we don't run into anything". Whew!

Reported to Bankstown "Kilo Alpha Zulu arrived Coff's Harbour at Last Light". Who was to know if it was really just a bit AFTER Last Light?
Filled up, found a B+B with a kindly lady who not only fed us, but packed sandwiches for the next day as well. And so off again at dawn, as all truly Intrepid Birdmen should. It was July, and we had left the Southern Winter behind, and flew in perfect weather to the North. We stopped for fuel at Coolangatta, Bundaberg and Rockhampton. We passed those lovely Glasshouse Mountains, refuelled and stopped over at Mackay, the next day pressing on to Townsville.

At Townsville an RAAF Lincoln was held orbiting by the Air Traffic Control so that we could get away quickly - some 240 gallons of petrol per hour of taxpayers’ money burning up to save us 20 minutes wait on the ground! Actually, one felt very small and insignificant at the time, with that great bird passing the end of the runway as we taxied down for take-off; it was only later that a certain feeling of true justice was felt.

We ate our lunch in the air each day to maintain momentum, only spending time on the ground for re-fuelling.

Refuelling at Hughenden, we made it to Cloncurry the next day, where the Royal Flying Doctor pilot gave lots of good advice regarding navigation in the really trackless area where we were next going.

Although, in theory, the Auster was good for legs of some three and a half hours, plus reserves, or a goodly 300 or so Nautical Miles, the airfields never really worked out to suit the Auster’s tankage, and most legs were of the order of 180 to 250 nautical miles. On one leg, I seem to remember, there was a bit of difficulty in finding the destination airfield, with the result that we were finally on the ground with only 2 gallons left, about 20 minutes if you were lucky! Thank Goodness for Statutory Reserves!

However, by now we were well into a routine for speedy ground stops, with me running to the telephone or Control Tower, depending upon the facilities available, reporting in, getting the weather and calculating the flight details for the next leg, and logging them, together with a request for the Shell agent at the next stop to be alerted. This request was always well attended, and a pass over the town, with a chop of the throttle, would see his truck speeding for the airfield, almost certainly with a drum and hose ready as we taxied up.

Meanwhile, Rex would be managing the re-fuelling and topping up with oil, leaving only the check for contamination and "really full full" tanks for me to do upon my return. With luck the Gypsy Major would start - they were always good starters when cold, or when hot; but when warm it was a bit of pot luck. Starting was by swinging the propeller, from behind of course, with the cabin window open so that the throttle was ready to hand (the parking brake would not hold against an over-open throttle; you had to really stand on the pedals to do an engine run-up without chocks). All these great big sealed airfields too; what a piece of cake even with a big load. We aimed to be warmed up and off the ground not later than sunrise, and we ate our sandwiches in the air, to minimise ground time, and thus we generally managed three legs a day, fuelled up and tied down by dark.

A fascinating trait of the Auster Aiglet concerned the trim changes in flight, as fuel was consumed. One always took-off on the gravity tank, as insurance against failure of the single mechanical fuel pump which fed the engine from the belly tank, and at about 1,000 feet on the climb out one changed to the long-range tank and continued on it until the engine coughed about two hours later, whereupon you (naturally) switched to the gravity tank again for the rest of the flight. Now, due to the half teardrop shape of the belly tank, as fuel was consumed from it the CG of the fuel in that tank, and thus of the aeroplane, moved slowly forward. Thus, for the first 2 hours of a flight one was trimming the nose up every few minutes, to compensate. After the change to the gravity tank, which was scuttle-mounted and thus ahead of the aeroplane's CG, fuel burn resulted in a nose up trim change, so that for the remainder of the flight one was trimming nose down every few minutes to compensate. No chance to get bored....

I was fortunate in that I had a useful briefing from a bush pilot at Mackay regarding flying in the interior where, since this was in the days prior to satellite mapping, the charts were all coloured yellow, with a yellow box in the margin and a note which said "Topographical features not to be relied upon", or words to that effect. He pointed out that, while the airfields and railways were accurately plotted, nothing else was, except for the watersheds, which were pretty accurate. This meant that, while you could not be sure that the watercourse (marked by a line of trees) down there was this watercourse on the map, you could be pretty sure that where the streams stopped running this way, and started to run THAT way, was as shown. Very basic, but very important, and it worked well!

Navigation, of course, was entirely dead reckoning (DR), with drift estimated as the angle at which that tree trailed off behind the wheel as you looked down at the side, and the watch, map and Dalton Mk III computer did the rest. I had been a keen student of Bennett and his techniques for DR navigation, and made good use of such tricks as setting a "deliberate error" so as to know for sure which way to turn when coming to a line feature, such as a railway or river, which was crossing the track and passing through the destination. Also to picking nice "funnels" which would lead one to a point near enough to a destination so that the last bit could hardly go wrong.

However, at Cloncurry the real truth regarding bush flying became apparent. The next leg, to Burketown on the Gulf, was pretty well devoid of such guides. The local Flying Doctor pilot took an interest and gave advice as to the check points which were available, and the next day we got off to another early start.

Fortunately, it did all work, and Burketown did appear as advertised. The local fuel agent turned up, we re-fuelled, and hitched a ride into town in his truck, an abandoned World War II vehicle which is memorable as having absolutely no brakes, so that it was eventually brought to a standstill by switching off the engine while still in gear! We went to the local store, which was a most impressive building, made from huge planks of timber, no doubt cut somewhere on Cape York Peninsular some 50 years before. After reporting our imminent departure to the police officer, as instructed by the controller at Cloncurry, since the police station was the only source of search and rescue alert in the area, we set out to walk to the airstrip, so close that the Auster was clearly visible.

Although this was mid-winter, the wisdom of the rule "if forced down, stay by the aeroplane unless you can see the place you are going to walk to" was brought home to us in no uncertain manner.

Away again, this time on the last leg to Mornington Island, we flew over countless green tidal river mouths, quite sure that we could see big crocodiles basking in the sun, and then turned for the short over-water island hops to Mornington Island. There was the grass strip clear enough and, as we taxied in, we were greeted by an impressive local dignitary, waving us to a parking spot whilst holding back the swarm of people who came out onto the strip to greet us. Aeroplanes were no novelty to them; the bicycle, which one of the missionary's children had received for a Christmas present, was the really wonderful invention of civilisation as far as they were concerned.

Not being over blessed with fuel reserves, since there was no spare fuel on Mornington Island, I was only able to give Marg a short run around the island, but hopefully that was better than nothing. We were royally treated, went on a picnic into the bush, which was very memorable due to the fact that the native girls, who had piled onto the back of the truck to come too, had brought no lunch for themselves - they just went into the bush and caught their lunch like that, in a few minutes. In that same bush we would have starved!

All too soon we were on our way again. This time to return via central Queensland and New South Wales, making a round trip of it, via Cloncurry, Winton, Longreach, Charleville, Cunnamullan, Nyngen, Nerrandera and so to Moorabbin.
We didn't get to Bourke, although it would have been nice to have flown just to the West, so that one had been "back of Bourke". Notices to Airmen, NOTAMS, generally advise one that a certain strip is closed for repair, "duration 4 weeks", or whatever. We were interested to see a NOTAM advising pilots visiting Bourke to

"Beware goats on the airfield. Duration indefinite."

Queensland is enormous - we flew hard for 3 days and were still in Queensland. The next day we flew across New South Wales and Victoria, and were at Moorabbin by 1630! The entire trip logged 49 hours flying time, and had been a fantastic experience.

What did I learn from the trip, that I have not dwelt on already?
Firstly, there was the wonder of finding just how much better one handled the aeroplane after several really intensive days; Private pilots, as a rule, do not get nearly enough flying, and I was no exception.

Perhaps, however, the most useful thing was to discover the extent of the effect which even the smallest amount of ice, in the form of frost, has on performance - and to survive to make use of the knowledge. We arrived at the aeroplane, tied down out in the open on the field, one morning in Queensland to find that there was the thinnest layer of frost on the windscreen and, no doubt, on the upper surface of the wings - but the latter was not readily visible from the ground! Clearing the windscreen, the usual other preparations were made for departure. I was keen to be first off, as there was quite a gaggle of others there who had come in after us the evening before, and I didn't want to be stuck in a queue.

Just as well the strip was DC3 length, and the temperature was 0°C, as that thin film of ice resulted in the World Record for long take-off runs for an Aiglet, and about the lowest rate of climb that could be counted as "climb". A crop-spray friend later had the same experience with a Tiger Moth, parked overnight in a paddock which was quite long enough by day; he wiped the frost from the lower wings, but not the upper. When he reached the fence, still on the ground, he had enough speed and lift to hop over the fence into the next field - where he waited until the frost melted from the upper wings before trying again!

IO540
9th Feb 2007, 09:27
Thank you for posting that, LD, nice reading :ok:

It's fun to note that some things have not changed:

I well remember laying out all the Air Navigation Charts for the flight on the floor at Maidstone - they reached right across the sunroom and out into the hall, [standard scenario for VFR flights across Europe]

the Auster was good for legs of some three and a half hours, plus reserves, or a goodly 300 or so Nautical Miles, the airfields never really worked out to suit the Auster’s tankage, and most legs were of the order of 180 to 250 nautical miles. [standard spamcan situation today]

Linedriver
9th Feb 2007, 11:27
FLIGHTS OF FANCY Pt 2 - second trip

My other long flight was also to visit Marg, now based at Ernabella Mission, in the Musgrave Ranges, South West from Alice Springs.

About four years have gone by, and I am now a hot-shot Commercial Licence pilot (CPL), just a bare CPL, but getting that licence had been a useful experience in itself, even if I did think that I was better than I probably was. At the very least, though, I now definitely knew that "there is a rock in every cloud" and that while "there are Old Pilots and there are Bold Pilots, there are no Old, Bold Pilots".
Aircraft choice was easy, as the Ballarat Branch of the Royal Victorian Aero Club, where at this time I did most of my flying, had a Piper PA-22 Tri-pacer, now a bit long in the tooth, on the strength. I had been the first pilot in the Royal Vic to convert onto it when it was new, but had not flown it all that much. It had range and goodly speed - just the job.

Tony was to be passenger; this was before he started to learn to fly, but of course he was the ideal passenger, totally reliable in any emergency.

I had a paddock at Tandarra registered as an airstrip. It met the requirements, with the 1:30 approach over the power lines taken into account, but suffered from being rather wettish at the south end after rain.

The Tri-pacer was ferried down from Ballarat, fuelled up and loaded for an early start. Key in the door lock - and it broke off flush with the face of the lock! Panic! Tone managed to catch just enough of it with his finger nails and to draw it out, so we had a chance. Down to the farm workshop, and bronze welded the key back together again, cleaned up with a file, and it worked! But time lost can never be regained, since aeroplanes have such a narrow cruising speed band.

Started up, and of course a slight breeze had now got up, so that instead of a take-off in nil wind towards the South with some 3,000 feet of strip and a fence at the other end, we now had 2,000 feet plus a 1:30 gradient over a power line. And the field was wet, and the grass was a bit longish.

Taxied down to the South end, turned around, lined up on the crown between two lands from the last time it was ploughed (just a bit higher and drier) and opened up. To say that the performance was a bit disappointing would be an understatement but, according to the Book, there was plenty of room. When she lifted off it seemed that perhaps there wasn't all that much room after all and I had a vision (it is with me to this day) of the power line passing underneath the nose, out of my sight, of me unable to resist easing back a fraction - and mushing down onto the wire. At least I had previously imagined something like this, and had convinced myself that, in spite of the look of it, there really was ample room to fly under the power line.

I stuffed the nose down and determined to have all the speed I could get, for maximum control, and I aimed to clip the fence with about three feet to spare, thus making sure that there was plenty of air gap between fin and power line. Of course, it all worked, although there was a mite of reaction, felt as a quickening of the pulse and a slight tremble in the legs, as we climbed away......It was found at the next overhaul that there was a broken piston ring in the engine; perhaps that was where a little of the urge had gone?

The flight went well from there on, as we passed Nhill and on to Renmark, where we re-fuelled before pressing on to Leigh Creek for another re-fuel. Next stop was Oodnadatta; I remember the view of Lake Eyre, stretching away over the horizon, a sheet of white salt as far as you could see, with no sign of water.

Time was pressing a bit now, that hour lost with the broken key was gnawing at our heels.

As we turned around the Woomera Rocket Range and set course for the Musgrove Ranges. I really believe that things would have gone seriously wrong hereabouts, as I became very unsure of our position and, except that Tone recognised a distinctive mountain ahead of which he had seen a photograph, which gave us a position, I am not sure to this day that I would have found Ernabella. It was pretty near last light when we did come across the strip, and I, for one, was glad to be down, safe, after flying for a total of just under 11 hours in the day. However, that was not the end of my troubles, not by a long way; there was more action yet to come, before we were all the way home again.

At Ernabella we were fascinated to see the tracking powers of the Aborigine demonstrated on several occasions; on one, Marg was seeking someone in the camp. She asked a native woman if she had seen him. Woman looked at the sandy ground, marked with a mass of bare footprints, and said, "He went that way a little time ago, missie."

Tone and I went in the truck, taking supplies to outlying sheep camps. The back of the truck filled up with Aboriginal men, armed with the most dreadful .22 rifles you can never imagine (they lose the screw holding the barrel to the stock, so wire, or tape, the barrel on). They were going to shoot kangaroos for meat.

After some miles there was a great shout from the back, so we stopped and all but two, who didn't have rifles, got out - this was where kangaroo had been sighted recently. The truck driver told them that he would pick them up at 4 o'clock by this windmill, and they had better be there, and off we went to the various sheep camps, where the sheep were folded each night as protection against wild dog dingo.

Upon return to the appointed meeting place in the afternoon there was, of course, not a sign of anyone. However, the two who had stayed with us were standing on the back of the truck and one pointed off to the side, so that way we went. The country was lightly grassed, with scattered trees, and was nice smooth going. We drove at about 20 mph while these two, standing up on the back, called out directions - they were tracking their friends by some marks which, strain as we might, we could not discern. After a couple of miles we came upon the first of the successful hunters, waiting patiently with his kill. And thus for the others also.

It is always possible for an Aborigine to see that someone has been about, no matter how they try to avoid leaving a mark. And, of course, they know everyone by his footprint. So, if someone wants to act illegally he cannot hide the fact that he has been about; therefore he wears shoes made of feathers, so that his identity shall remain secret. Of course, the fact that marks of someone wearing these shoes has been seen causes great concern, since it means that there is trouble afoot.
Contact with the outside world was only by radio to Alice Springs, and the reception was very bad on the day we planned to leave so we were not able to obtain a weather forecast. However, it looked fine and settled so, leaving word that our flight details be passed to Alice Springs as soon as conditions allowed, we set off on the first leg home. A simple flight, east until the railway, turn right and follow it to Oodnadatta.

Ernabella strip is quite high, and the temperature was high also, so that the Book advised that the takeoff run would be about double that required at sea level on a standard day and the climb rate about half ditto, but it was a DC3 strip and we were OK.

Settled into the cruise, and droned on, awaiting the ETA for the railway.
Surprise; a light shower of rain.

Time coming up, the railway should be in sight soon. No railway!
On and on; still no railway. What was wrong? Head wind? Seemed unlikely, but how to be sure? Decided that, to assume we had overflown the railway and turn back would put us into the rocket range if, indeed, we had not reached it.
Therefore, the reasonable thing seemed to be to fly on until certain that the line must be behind us, then turn back and find it. Having flown out into the Simpson Desert and done that, it now became only too obvious that fuel was not our problem - it was going to be dark before we could get to Oodnadatta!

The railway found; but to what use, as there was no strip on the map close enough to reach before dark. Turn south, where Oodnadatta was out of reach, or north? For whatever guides fools at such moments, I turned north, and we flew along the railway line. The sun went down; nowhere to land, the country covered with scattered trees and anthills. The latter I had decided were soft enough not to cause any serious problem from a collision, but a tree would not be so forgiving.
Then, and it was now nearly dark, I saw a clearish piece coming up. "That is IT" I thought, "That is the only place to try for a landing. At least, we will be near the railway."

With that, Tone said, "There is a strip, down there, on my side."

I banked over, to get a look out his window. Sure enough, by the railway was an ex-World War II emergency landing strip!

No time to give it a pass, as it would be dark in a couple of minutes, just turn, flaps down, line up and land. Pitch dark, and a torch away at the far end as we taxied slowly down the strip.

The torch was held by a railway ganger, stationed there with a small crew, to maintain the Adelaide to Alice Springs line. It was Abminga, not marked on the map, or perhaps it was off the edge of my map....

Of course, their telephone was out of order at the present, and it was 2200 before we were able to get through to Adelaide railway and request that the airfield be notified of our location. I learned the next day that the message had got through just in time to stop a Fokker Friendship which was taxying out to come and search for us!

When I asked "Why search at night, rather than by day?" I was told, "By day we would have to be very fortunate to find you but, at night, if you were down but OK you would hear us. You only had to run some petrol on the ground and light it, and we would see you from 20 miles away."

I have wondered ever since, "Would I have thought of that? Or would I have stood on the ground and watched it fly over and away?"

Now, the next problem was that, following the extensive excursion I had made, I didn't have enough fuel to get to Oodnadatta, and I certainly didn't want to wait until the next train brought some. The railway gangers had motor fuel for their little trolley, but I couldn't mix that into the main tanks.

Inspiration dawned during the night; the long range tank was empty. Put the motor fuel in that, take off on the main tanks (with avgas in them), switch to the long range tank when the power setting was reduced to cruising level (when there would be no danger of detonation), use it all up, and there we would be.

Telephoned through flight details the next morning, and arrived safe and sound at Oodnadatta at last. Filling in the Incident Report was a bit difficult, as I couldn't admit to having used motor fuel, but a little white lie got me over that. I put down that the "Fuel Capacity" on leaving Ernabella was what it would be if the tanks were full, leaving out that the tanks were, unfortunately, not full at all. The local Shell man was paid to get petrol back to Abminga, so that the ganger could balance his books.

Our "Hot Stuff" pilot was suitably chagrined by this adventure, I can assure you.
Adventures were not quite over yet, though. As we climbed out of Port Pirie the next morning, over the Adelaide Ranges, the first tiny cumulus (Cu) began to appear, and I kept above their tops. Later, as a glider pilot, I would have known better, but then I was greener than I thought.

After a bit it became obvious that these Cu were expanding, and were soon going to go to 8/8ths, and I would be on top of that!

A largish hole seemed an opportunity to descend to safer worlds beneath but, as others have found, you need a BIG hole if you are to descend in the normal fashion. There is only one way down a smallish hole and that is in a spiral - and you had better watch out that you don't make a mistake and fly into the cloud as you go round and round, as that would be the correct recipe for loss of control followed by structural failure and/or a dive into the ground at high speed.
Coming out of the bottom of the cloud, from bright sunshine above into the comparative murky dimness beneath, there can be difficulty in re-orientating oneself. Later, as a mountain wave glider pilot in Scotland, one got used to this, but it was unsettling this first time. Sorted out, we proceeded on our homeward way myself, at least, much wiser than I had been a few days previously.

Oh, yes. A re-evaluation of the events leading up to the Abminga episode showed that:

-My track from Ernabella was along the top edge of the chart; the next chart (not being required on this flight!) was in the back of the aeroplane, out of reach.

-Just off the chart which I was using, the railway turned to the west, towards me.

-I must have been a little to the north of my planned track and passed the railway (probably in the rain shower) well before I was expecting it.

The moral? If planning to fly anywhere near the edge of a chart, make sure that you have the adjoining one handy.

My Commercial Licence was never used to fly for hire or reward, except to joy-ride passengers for charity! The first effort was in the Auster, at Lismore. I was going well, with a quick turnround, taking two clients at a time around Lismore and back for a fixed price. I was also prepared to take people to see their farm, for an estimated extra price to cover the extra distance. So, with a husband and wife aboard, (she on her first ride in an aeroplane), we set off for another trip. Throttle open, stick forward, tail up and the speed climbing towards 40 knots for lift-off, the aeroplane suddenly dipped to the left. I thought,

“Bother, there must have been someone bogged here and left a rut – but I have driven all over this field and didn’t find any ruts.”

And then the nose went down and the propeller flew to pieces, and we came to a swift stop. The port axle had failed and the undercarriage leg had dragged in the ground. I had visions of the belly tank rupturing and fuel flowing forward onto the engine exhausts as I turned around and frantically undid the lady’s seat belt. We all got out, no one hurt, and I said,

“I’m very sorry about this, but just so long as you are not hurt, I can only give you back your money.”

“No” said the lady, “We still want to fly. Can we go in one of the other planes?” Which they did.

I had no recollection of turning off the fuel or switches, and so was pleased to note later that I had done so.

My other joy-riding effort was a few years later, with the Ballarat Club Cessna 172. This was a great money spinner, as it carried three passengers. I had a good ground crew, who organised the next set of passengers into “heaviest in the front and lightest in the back”, got out those who had just had a flight and strapped in the new load. They were about as quick as I could do the pre-takeoff checks, so we were really operating at a great rate. This was from a field near Lismore which was a bit short, but the organisers of the charity show (called a “Rushabout” as it consisted of motorcycle grass-track races and ‘banger’ racing with the joy-riding as a background) pulled up a section of fencing to give me a good length run, a safeguard which I never needed.

I always enjoy taking people for their first flight, and I also enjoy ‘getting in the groove’ with repetitive trips, so that the approaches and landings are really spot on.

I used a number of fields over the years, being careful as to the surface conditions, and was always careful not to indulge in low level beat-ups. I was very nearly caught once though, when I landed a Tiger near to my brother-in-law’s house. On the landing run I was horrified to see a group of rocks, gathered by some former ploughman and hidden in the grass, flash past under the wing. A couple of feet to the side and my wheel would have struck them, with disastrous result!

A particularly satisfying trip was to take my father in the Auster for a survey of the flooded areas around Lake Corangomite, and of the drainage channels which had been provided for the alleviation of the flooding.

Some flights were not so happy, though. One in particular being an aerial search in an effort to locate the bodies of fishermen drowned in Lake Tooliorook.
One of my favourite memories is of a flight from Lismore to Ballarat in a Tiger. It was a lovely morning following a frost, and the shadows of the trees maintained the frost just outside their boundaries, as the sun melted the frost from the unshaded areas. However, as I approached Skipton, I became aware that a southerly breeze had started and was causing orographic uplift cloud over the rising ground towards Ballarat. Descending, it was obvious that there was no way under the cloud. Climbing up a little though, I could see that there was a gap in the cloud which seemed to be leading in the direction of Ballarat. I thought that it was worth a look and trundled off in that direction, always keeping a good lookout behind in case my route home should seem to be coming blocked. There was the city, and I knew where the airfield was. As I approached the position of the airfield there were lumps of cloud moving and I thought that, if I was smart enough, I could match a gap with the field. Sure enough, there was a gap, and there was the field, and a sideslip through the gap and we were down. The Chief Flying Instructor was very surprised to see me, as he had cancelled all flying.