PDA

View Full Version : Not based on FAA license

Stelios3
6th Feb 2007, 12:41
Can ANYONE tell me if an FAA Private Pilot Check ride can be carried out in the UK? Biennial Flight Review seem to be possible, but can you get a Standalone FAA license in the UK? I can find in 2007 FAR/AIM that a UK registered aircraft can be used by a dual JAA/FAA instructor/tester. Even better can someone point me at the FAA and/or CAA regulations that govern this situation?

IO540
6th Feb 2007, 13:39
You don't say if you are doing an ab initio FAA PPL or already have some other kind of license under which you can be PIC. There is a big difference as a result. Anyway I have sent you a PM with some suggestions.

lharle
6th Feb 2007, 21:07
You don't need a school, you just need to find a CFI who is registered and approved by the TSA (I am doing it in FRANCE under the New York International field office).
For the test it will be very difficult to do it in the UK, the best way is to go to the US.

The written test is very easy: one book to study and a few hours of ground work with a CFI who will give you the endorsment and take the test.

Good luck

IO540
6th Feb 2007, 21:24
If you go to the USA, then it is a piece of cake. Of course :)

You just need TSA+Visa and that is a (roughly) 2-month process.

rosewellian
10th Feb 2007, 21:17
see www.businessair.us you can now do FAA check-rides in the UK (Norwich) with the only DPE (designated pilot examiner) in the UK. I will be doing my multi check-ride soon. Training also available. All Faa fixed wing courses are available from Private thru ATP.

englishal
11th Feb 2007, 10:04
bUt with those prices, you'd be better off booking a weekend in the USA and paying for a plane ticket over and do it all there :eek:

£275 for a "based on" licence. I really hope this includes a BFR :eek:

IO540
11th Feb 2007, 11:18
From the above URL, and this (http://www.businessair.us/FlightTrainingUK.html)one:

Note: Although the UK Department for Transport (DFT) have never prosecuted anyone under Article 115 of the Air Navigation Order, to train on an 'N' Registered Aircraft in the UK, you must be the legal owner and have written permission from the DFT. CAUTION: We strongly suggest that all corespondance to them be via secure post only and a copy kept on file for your protection. Remember, the UK CAA and DFT will not honour any verbal agreement and have been known to suddenly withdraw from written agreements as well and often with no explaination. Although the DFT can authorize you to train in your 'N' registered aircraft, they do not have the authority to allow you to train with a non FAA flight instructor whether money exchanges hands or not. The bottom line is, the instructor must have all applicable FAA commercial instructor licenses and ratings as well as being current regardless of whether you are training for FAA, CAA or JAA licenses . If the instructor owns or leases the 'N' registered aircraft, he can not train you for hire or reward in it at all. It's the law. The quickest, most effective but least desireable way to find out if you are in compliance is to file an insurance claim. Your insurance company will always determine whether or not you were in compliance. And they will do so at lightning speed! It's best to avoid the heartache and contact the experts at Business Air Ltd

I am not going to make any comment whatsoever on the above, other than that it's wonderful to see the usual players in this game are on top form as ever :)

421C
11th Feb 2007, 16:20
The Businessair site makes a mistake on the TSA/AFSP requirements

There is a legal requirement for ALL non-US citizens to be registered and approved by the US Transportation and Security Administration (TSA) prior to ANY AIRBORNE Flight Training for the award of any FAA licence/certificate anywhere in the world as well as for any type of flight training in the US

This has not been true for some time now. From
https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/student_help.htm

Category 3: For Candidates pursuing training in aircraft with a maximum certified takeoff weight of 12,500 lbs. or less.
Candidates are only required to obtain AFSP approval for the following three training events:

Initial airman's certificate
Instrument Rating (IR)
Multi-Engine Rating (MEL)Each of these three events requires a separate training request. All other training events on aircraft with MTOW of 12,500 lbs. or less are exempt from AFSP regulations, including CPL, ATP, CFI, CFII and MEI.

Hence to train in the UK for FAA certificates, ratings or endorsements in an airplane under 5.7t , other than the 3 listed above, does NOT require any TSA approval