PDA

View Full Version : LCY London city declared distances

spuis
3rd Feb 2007, 20:20
Hi all,
After having studied the declared distances I am a bit puzzled by what I found at LCY.
The concrete is 1508 m long in total. Between both thresholds the distance is 1319m.
Yet the TORA is 1199 m, howeever with a stopway/clearway of 120m available bringing the ASDA and the TODA back to 1319.
When lining up from e.g. 10 you actually line up before the threshold and have a lot more concrete (well ok, a little more) than 1319m in front of you.
My only idea is that there is some sort of other issue at LCY I am overlooking, like maybe a legal max of 1199m(30m wide?), or maybe an obstacle preventing the use of more stopway/clearway.
Anyone able to shed some more light on LCY declared distances?
LCY aerodrome chart (http://fly.dsc.net/pdfs/aerodromes/EGLC.PDF)
Gr.
Spuis

Mad (Flt) Scientist
3rd Feb 2007, 20:35
Perhaps the areas declared as stopway/clearway aren't structurally capable of taking the landing impact and so can't be declared as part of the runway? Wasn't the pavement extended a while ago - perhaps related to that?

mustafagander
4th Feb 2007, 07:29
Obstacle planes??

Kit d'Rection KG
4th Feb 2007, 20:40
Nope, the width is insufficient to support more than 1199m declared (the docks get in the way). Too late and too tired from a good weekend to give the specifics just now.

Kit d'Rection KG
9th Feb 2007, 13:16
Now less tired, and simply in need of a good weekend, so:

The runway is a Code 2 runway, maximum value for the greater of TODA or ASDA 1200m, as the width of the runway strip is less than 150m (150m would take it out over the docks and one requirement of the runway strip is that it must be load-bearing). It is greater than 75m, which is the requirement for a Code 2 instrument runway.

It's all in CAP168.