PDA

View Full Version : SLOP (Strategic Lateral Offset) in Africa

Panama Jack
3rd Feb 2007, 15:00
I thought I had heard from someone that SLOP was a recommended/permitted procedure on the African continent (along with IATA's In-flight Position Reporting scheme on 126.9 MHz). I tried looking in the Jeppesen Supplement for something mentioning it, but could not find anything. Comments?

Carnage Matey!
3rd Feb 2007, 15:15
I think everywhere in the IFBP area you are supposed to offset one mile right of track. You'll certainly find details in the Aerad Africa Supplement if you have access to one of those.

Dixons Cider
4th Feb 2007, 08:44
Our company manuals talk about the IATA 126.9 broadcast and the lateral offset as one.
Dont know what the company doc is derived from however, I've also looked in the jepps but found no reference to the offset - maybe its just a co. SOP.

411A
5th Feb 2007, 01:33
Inflight broadcast (126.9) and lateral offset are two different scenarios.

Offset not required, except perhaps by company specific procedure.

enicalyth
5th Feb 2007, 11:14
Isn't it all a bit like the man who half way up to the pulley met the bucket coming down?
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/enicalyth/UG853Dogleg.jpg
A discussion question to test experience, prejudices, naivete.....
Aircraft wishes to join UG853 at the dogleg shown. Flying from FHAW/ASI the distance to TITOR is 1285nm, magnetic course 007 degrees. Currently there is 100nm to go to the dogleg.There are no problems and the FMS indicates recommended max cruise FL380. A BA 747-400 southbound and a Virgin A340-300 coincidentally will arrive in the close vicinity of TITOR at the same time as the joining aircraft
Q1 - What do you expect your current FL to be and why?
Q2 - What should be your next FL?
Q3 - Discuss what must, what should, what could and what probably will happen!
216 Sqn RAF, Bmi, Air Luxor pilots stop smiling now!

Henry VIII
1st Mar 2007, 18:47
Aerad Africa Supplement
Pag. COM-9
IATA In Flight Broadcast Procedure
Ch. 3.6 - GPS or RNAV equipped aircraft

Says :

"IATA Technical Policy Manual states that when flying in areas where in flight broadcast procedures are used, and when using accurate navigation guidance systems, all aircraft should fly offset 1 NM right of nominal track"

Searched in Jeppesen too, didn't find.

IATA Tech Policy Manual is not published on the web, you can buy it here (http://www.iata.org/ps/publications/fuel-technical-resolutions-b.htm).

HVIII

helen-damnation
1st Mar 2007, 19:14
Never mind all that Bolleaux :uhoh:

Common sense and a will to live says offset upto 2 miles right, turn the lights on it you think it will help and keep your eyes and ears open :eek:

It's AFRICA :\

gimmesumvalium
1st Mar 2007, 20:49
As I recall, was RECOMMENDED by some African operators approx 10 yrs ago, but never published in Jepp as is the Indian SLOP. Hopefully will be soon. Prob a good idea anyway regardless!

haughtney1
1st Mar 2007, 21:17
R2 into the FMC...and sometimes a sneaky 300ft above or below your assigned FL

Henry VIII
2nd Mar 2007, 01:02
Sorry haughtney1, I do not agree.
Standard are set to be applied, not to be personalized.

A-3TWENTY
2nd Mar 2007, 07:34
The use of broadcasting (126.90) can be found on Africa Jeppesen Manual 1. The broadcasting includes almost all Africa. You have references about this on the enroute charts as well.

Concerning the 2 Nm offset looK for NOTAM SBAO FIR 2004120E733V01 N0036/04

Basically it says:

STRATEGIC LATERAL OFFSETS IN OCEANIC AIRSPACE TO MITIGATE COLLISION RISK AND WAKE TURBULENCE :
PILOTS SHOULD USE THE STRATEGICAL LATERAL OFFSET PROCEDURE AS STANDARD OPERATING PRACTICE IN THE COURSE OF NORMAL OPERATIONS TO MITIGATE COLLISION RISK AND WAKE TURBULENCE.THE STRATEGIC LATERAL OFFSET PROCEDURE WILL BE IN FORCE IN THE ATLANTICO FIR , DAKAR , OCEANIC FIR , CANARIAS , SAL OCEANIC FIR.
- STRATEGIC LATERAL OFFSETS SHALL BE APPLIED ONLY BY AIRCRAFT WITH AUTOMATIC OFFSET TRACKING CAPABILITY
-THERE ARE THREE POSITIONS THAT AN AIRCRAFT MAY FLY : CENTERLINE , 1 OR 2 NM OFFSET RIGHT OF CENTERLINE.
-THERE IS NO ATC CLEARANCE REQUIRED FOR THIS PROCEDURE AND IT IS NOT NECESSARY THAT ATC BE ADVISED .REF:ENR 3.5-8 , AIP BRAZIL

Henry VIII
4th Mar 2007, 13:28
About NAT see also here (http://www.nat-pco.org/nat/Cont_Div_Slop.pdf).

tired
5th Mar 2007, 18:04
SLOP is a recommended procedure in NAT MNPS airspace, formalised a year or 2 ago by NOTAM from the various countries who control bits of the NAT MNPS.

2mile right offset in Africa is an ICAO recommendation published 8 to 10 years ago (sorry, not sad enough to have the doc reference) and used by anyone with an ounce of sense and even the vaguest desire to draw their pension for many years before that. My company publishes it as a company SOP in our Ops Manual.

Like someone else said - if you don't do it in Africa you need your head read, even if you can't find it in black and white.

Basically they're the same thing.

haughtney1
5th Mar 2007, 22:19
Sorry haughtney1, I do not agree.
Standard are set to be applied, not to be personalized.

Oh well, I'll bear that in mind next time I'm over the BAFA....:hmm:

Henry VIII
6th Mar 2007, 07:14
used by anyone with an ounce of sense
The initial question by Panama Jack was about "where to find the written statement", not about common sense, personal point of view, airmanship, etc. etc.