PDA

View Full Version : Mode S required for IFR

Joe le Taxi
29th Jan 2007, 15:23
I recall seeing mention of a ban of non mode S equipped aircraft from IFR flight in European controlled airspace, with a date of some time early to mid '07.

Will it be applied as per this date, or as with most things of the like, will the deadline be extended.

Or did I imagine the whole thing....Or does it just apply to class A, with IFR approaches in CTZs still permitted?

Can anyone enlighten me please? I find the facility to ILS down into Deauville most useful at the moment, and mode S isn't finding its way onto our a/c anytime soon.

Roffa
29th Jan 2007, 18:17
The UK position is still as this AIC (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4Y171.PDF) I think. You'll need to register on the AIS site to see it if you're not already.

IO540
29th Jan 2007, 22:22
I don't think anybody truly knows the answer, because it will depend on how quickly the various ATS units around Europe get their equipment installed.

And until they have it, they will have no way of telling who has Mode S installed, so even if their law says you must have it, they will never know if you don't.

Here in the UK, the IFR sectors will get it (or already have, in some cases) but a lot of smaller radar units that work OCAS traffic (e.g. certain LARS units) will not get Mode S for years if ever. One LARS unit I visited recently reckons they will never get the equipment.

Single Spey
30th Jan 2007, 06:54
Rumour has it that from 2012 the CAA may not 're-license' any traditional SSR interrogators. Hence from that date all radar units might have to be Mode S equipped.

javelin
30th Jan 2007, 06:58
That's one reason for looking at ADS-B instead because it is a simpler and cheaper system but because it relies on the dreaded GPS constellation owned by G.W., the CAA run scared. By the time Galilleo is up and running, we will have gone too far down the Mode S route to back out - another typical CAA screw up due to their ineptitude.

NorthSouth
30th Jan 2007, 07:26
Many civil LARS units which have SSR get it as a feed from a NATS En Route radar. Three (four?) of those are already Mode S equipped and the others will be over the next few years.
NS

rustle
30th Jan 2007, 11:40
That's one reason for looking at ADS-B instead because it is a simpler and cheaper system but because it relies on the dreaded GPS constellation owned by G.W., the CAA run scared. By the time Galilleo is up and running, we will have gone too far down the Mode S route to back out - another typical CAA screw up due to their ineptitude.

If you believe that ADSB is reliant only upon GPS with no ground infrastructure in the UK, then you should post your pilot licence back to the CAA immediately. (If you have one)

bookworm
30th Jan 2007, 13:35
Or does it just apply to class A, with IFR approaches in CTZs still permitted?

Mode S is required under IFR only "Inside the lateral and vertical bounds of the London TMA". UK AIP 1.5.3 para 1.3. An exemption for Elementary Mode S is in force until 31 March 2007, after which you will need Mode S for the London TMA.

IO540
30th Jan 2007, 14:31
If you believe that ADSB is reliant only upon GPS with no ground infrastructure in the UK, then you should post your pilot licence back to the CAA immediately. (If you have one)

One could have written something informative in the same amount of time.

In any case, TCAS (of any sort) is well outside the scope of any PPL training syllabus.

ADS-B is reliant on GPS because it broadcasts a GPS-derived position.

But ADS-B is a long way away in Europe. I don't think Mode S can be avoided at all if one is flying IFR outside the UK, although I would not be suprised if they exempt IFR traffic OCAS (i.e. Class G) in the UK. In any event, nobody cares what you do in Class G - you can fly IFR non-radio so VFR v. IFR is largely in your head.

Fuji Abound
30th Jan 2007, 15:21
"One could have written something informative in the same amount of time."

That is really strange - I had the same thought only 5 minutes ago :) .

Maybe Javelin has got an FAA license. Mind you I suppose the CAA would have to send it back and tell him not to worry he is welcome to use it in the UK, same priviliges as us lot - just remember we dont believe in GPS in Europe.

"Nationwide deployment of automatic dependent surveillance – broadcast (ADS-B) as the first step towards the US next-generation air transport system has been approved by the US Federal Aviation Administration’s Joint Resources Council (JRC).

There is no target for aircraft avionics equipage in Segment 1. A target of 40% equipage has been set for Segment 2, which runs from FY2010-FY2014 and which will see completion of nationwide ADS-B infrastructure deployment. The goal of 100% avionics equipage has been set for FY2020, at the end of Segment 3. The FAA expects ADS-B avionics equipage to be mandated “at some point”.

Segment 1 will expand ADS-B infrastructure that is providing traffic information service – broadcast (TIS-B) and flight information service – broadcast (FIS-B) coverage, along the East Coast and in the Phoenix/Prescott area, Arizona. East coast deployment will be expanded to the Great Lakes and from Arizona into California."

and

"Airservices Australia is expanding its Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) activities in order to promote and exploit the safety and operational benefits made possible by the new data link technology. "

Seems to me there are a few lessons to be learnt.

Not an American myself, but in Europe, if not in the UK, the regulatory authorities seem to have perfected the art of alienating their customers, whereas in America they still understand partnerships work somewhat better.

Joe le Taxi
30th Jan 2007, 17:43
Well - did lots of trawling of the CAA and Eurocontrol's websites and although mention is made of Mode S designated airspace, I'm damned if I can find any directory or map where it is defined. There is a vague inference that it is presently only required in busy terminal areas.

So I'm of he opinion that if my ATC flight plan says mode C, then the ball is in their court; I've done all I can do to make sure I'm legal.

NorthSouth
30th Jan 2007, 19:07
Joe le Taxi:
There is no current requirement for light aircraft to carry Mode S when IFR. From 31-3-07 light aircraft (<5700kg, <250kts) in the London TMA will be required to have Mode S Elementary Surveillance. That requirement will be extended progressively to other TMAs - Manchester, Scottish etc. See AIC 49/2005.
NS

Roffa
31st Jan 2007, 15:40
Joe, with regards the UK, did you read the AIC linked to above?
2 Definitions of Mode S Airspace
2.1 In accordance with the Mode S EHS RIA, Mode S Airspace in the UK is initially defined as Controlled Airspace around major UK airports and along the major UK air routes (ie TMA, CTA, CTR and en route airspace). Within this the CAA will introduce Mode S Notified Airspace incrementally from31 March 2005.
2.2 Mode S Notified Airspace, in the UK, is initially defined as the extant vertical and lateral bounds of the London TMA. Additional Mode S Notified Airspace will be promulgated through the UK Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP). This is likely to include the Manchester and Scottish TMAs, together with some major CTAs, airways and air routes and is likely to occur before the end of the transition period, dependent on system implementation.

Fuji Abound
31st Jan 2007, 19:54
Out of interest, if and when the carriage of mode S becomes compulsory for all (or in respect of the compulsory component already in place) how is this legally enacted? Is there in fact any requirement to amend the ANO or any requirement for amending legislation to be either passed by the House or by Europe or are the amendments within the direct remit of the CAA?

IO540
31st Jan 2007, 20:01
I'd imagine they would do a new AIP ENR 1.5 but the equipment carriage requirements do have to start off in ANO schedules 4 and 5.

Whether they can do a new AIP on equipment carriage without amending the ANO first I have no idea.

I would speculate they do have to amend the ANO - if the equipment carriage regs were delegated to the CAA, why would the ANO specify this stuff at all?

Fuji Abound
31st Jan 2007, 20:13
IO - yes, that was also my thinking.

If that is so, I wonder how and when the ANO was / will be amended?

CJ Driver
31st Jan 2007, 21:40
I continue to be baffled by assertions that ADS-B is simpler and cheaper than a Mode S transponder. ADS-B transmits your position over a simple data link. The data link which almost all countries of the world have agreed to use for that ADS-B transmission is a Mode S transponder. (The exception is the USA which intends to allow the ADS-B transmission to be made EITHER on Mode S, OR on the UAT data link pioneered in Alaska).

Since most ADS-B installations will therefore comprise a Mode S transponder plus a GPS receiver, in what way is that going to be cheaper than a Mode S transponder alone? :confused:

TURIN
1st Feb 2007, 09:44
If you don't think that mode S transponders should be installed on ALL aircraft.

Please sign this petition.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/transpondermodeS/

Joe le Taxi
1st Feb 2007, 10:47
Thanks everyone.

Yes, the AIC was my first point of reference, and since we are now almost at the end of the transition period, the AIC implies there will some major CTAs in addition to the TMAs which will be Mode S. Finding out if there are, and where they are is less easy.

I also wanted to find the location of any Mode S airspace in Europe, but the Eurocontrol site is no help either, unless I am missing something.

buzzc152
1st Feb 2007, 11:22
Does anyone know if there is a 31st march deadline for E-mode S in Euro airspace........... specifically Belgium & Denmark ?