PDA

View Full Version : What hours do you log?

xrayalpha
29th Jan 2007, 13:20
Hi all,

Wet and windy, so a chance to put a question that has bugged me.

How to you time the hours that are logged?

People seem to log the following:

For personal logbooks:

Engine start to engine stop; first movement under own power to brakes on; wheels off to wheels on; or even at one GA school, wheels off to wheels on plus 1o mins. Another GA school makes the first thing the students do is turn on the master so the strobes are on at the start of their pre-flight. This then means the Hobbs starts ticking and they log (and charge) Hobbs time.

For airframe engine logs:
Engine start to stop would seem the best for engine logs, but I have seen many other combinations based on airframe hours.

Airframe hours could be most of the above regarding personal logbooks.

Is there a definitive?

ps. One student bought a flexy microlight recently that had been used by a couple of schools and the airframe/engine logbooks were 300 hours less than the Flydat. Total Flydat 1300. Of course, it was a Rotax 912, and they can take an age to warm up for flight, so I can understand such a gap between flying and engine hours, just, but of course the engine part of the logbook hadn't been filled in as it is mant to. (I've been guilty on that acount too).

Very best to all,

Colin

the dean
29th Jan 2007, 15:14
hi,

for the logbook...'' from the time an aircraft first moves under its own power WITH THE INTENTION OF TAKING OFF until it comes to a stop''....thats in JAAland...and i think yours may be the same.

some of the different things you mantion are used by clubs/groups for the purpose of charging eg....we found it in a group that in the winter quite a bit of time gets taken up simply waiting for the engine to warm, up so we allow a little credit for this.

for the logs i suppose start to shut but not everybody does that as it means you are now using yet another set of times as well as logbook time, charging time,...but technically i would think start up to shut down for the engine and airframe logs but brakes for the logbook.

in the real world i think most people use the logbook times for all but over the life of the engine the difference could mount up so that by TBO in fact the engine has more hours on it than shows...!!:=

dean.

18-Wheeler
30th Jan 2007, 05:57
Block time.

Old Smokey
30th Jan 2007, 15:15
Chocks OFF to chocks ON, provided that the aircraft moved with the INTENTION of flight. (Chocks OFF to chocks ON to move the aircraft to a new parking position, or a compass swing etc. doesn't count).

Regards,

Old Smokey