PDA

View Full Version : Which handheld transceiver to buy?

BrianRoth
26th Jan 2007, 11:25
For the purposes of emergency backup to the main a/c radio, can anyone recommend any alternatives to the current ICOM series (A6/24)?
Whilst earlier ICOM models seem to be OK, the current A6/A24 appear to be unusable in aircraft (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23798).

What recommendations for other makes and models?

diginagain
26th Jan 2007, 11:50
If anyone wants an Icom IC A22E and all the acccessories, I've got one to flog, along with a couple of Peltor headsets for rotary use. PM with offers.

Dave Gittins
26th Jan 2007, 12:47
Can only say that I have had an IC 22 E for about 10 years without complaint.

Battery was re -celled to NiMh by Combat Alaxander (on the advice of Vintage ATCO) a lot cheaper than buying another ICOM battery and it is still superb.

:ok:

Bit strong putting a link to a "Flyer Forum" on the PpRuNe site init ???

:=

tangovictor
26th Jan 2007, 13:57
For the purposes of emergency backup to the main a/c radio, can anyone recommend any alternatives to the current ICOM series (A6/24)?
Whilst earlier ICOM models seem to be OK, the current A6/A24 appear to be unusable in aircraft (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23798).

What recommendations for other makes and models?

do radio sets fail often then ?

Floppy Link
26th Jan 2007, 14:31
...only when you're not prepared. :E

IO540
26th Jan 2007, 14:32
Maybe a daft answer but why not just buy the Icom A22?

It works, the headset adaptor also works, you can get a very cheap dummy (empty) power pack moulding for it which takes 10xAA alkaline cells(essential for emergency gear because all common rechargeable battery technologies self-discharge much too quick).

I even have a circuit for a headset adaptor for the aircraft powered version of the Bose X, for the A22 radio.

The incentive to go for something else are the smaller and slicker American models, which can be bought in immersible variants, supposedly not CAA approved but who gives a damn, but unless one can sort out a proven headset adaptor they aren't much real use for this purpose.

You also need a remotely mounted (velcro) PTT switch.

I had a radio failure during a pre-PPL solo and bought the A22 the same day. When you get into IFR, a total loss of comms complicates the options way too much.

vintage ATCO
26th Jan 2007, 14:40
The A22/A3E isn't available now new, I tried to find one last year (if you know differently please say! :) ). I bought one off ebay but it was rubbish and had difficulty getting my money back (username by PM ;) ). Finally I was offered one by someone else and it was immaculate.

Have managed to buy Ni-MH batteries for the A3E cheaper than re-celling by CA. ;)

tiggermoth
26th Jan 2007, 15:45
If you have a amateur radio license can you use these radios?

Hi Shemy,

No unfortunatley you can't use it for transmitting, your amateur radio licence (whether it's novice, Class B or Class A) will not allow you to transmit on the airband. Don't be tempted to buy one because you might accidentally press the PTT button!

Some amateur radio transceivers (2m or dual band 2m/70cm) do however have "extended receive" that can go onto the aviation receivers (with AM reception - check before ou buy!).

The Radiotelephony Licence (for aviation) is a theory exam (very straighforward) and an aural practical test (can be tricky!). The RT licence lasts for life.

T.

Rod1
26th Jan 2007, 17:03
“the current A6/A24 appear to be unusable in aircraft”

Mine works just fine….
:)
Rod1

tiggermoth
26th Jan 2007, 20:15
“the current A6/A24 appear to be unusable in aircraft”

Mine works just fine….
:)
Rod1

I believe the A6/A24 cannot gain a radio licence from the CAA is that correct?

IO540
26th Jan 2007, 20:55
A radio license (CAA or FAA) doesn't specify the model of the radio.

The business of "CAA approved" is something for which I have never found a reference, but I believe it goes something like this:

All transmitting equipment sold in the West needs to be approved. In the UK it is some Govt agency doing it, but they have delegated the responsibility for aviation gear to the CAA.

Somebody importing stuff can decide to not apply for an approval, in which case they won't get one. The equipment is likely to be perfectly OK.

But, some of the American-market radios have features like recording, and that may well be illegal in the UK (bizzarely) under some ancient law.

The above could be a load of ba11s, however; simply a smoke screen by importers of the old stuff not wanting people to import direct from the USA. I had the same fairy tale from some UK outfit trying to flog me "CAA approved" portable oxygen kit from Aerox, at about twice the US price... Another most likely bogus example going around is that NICD batteries are CAA approved whereas NIMH ones aren't.

Rod1
26th Jan 2007, 21:07
I think the above is correct but there is another instalment. EASA is supposed to be taking over such things but does not have everything in place. The CAA have stopped approving new stuff, so you buy the new light super kit or the old heavy stuff, and you get on with life….

Rod1

oscarmike
26th Jan 2007, 21:34
Hi - take a look at this link (http://www.hamradio.co.uk/acatalog/Air-Band_Transceivers.html)
I've got the Standard-Vertex VXA-300 Pilot III which comes all complete with the headset adapter - not CAA approved but works very well.
Nice piece of kit and has VOR tracking too.
Hope this helps
Regards
OM

IO540
27th Jan 2007, 06:06
I think the above is correct but there is another instalment. EASA is supposed to be taking over such things but does not have everything in place. The CAA have stopped approving new stuff, so you buy the new light super kit or the old heavy stuff, and you get on with life….

OK, I done some googling and the agency is OFcom (formerly RadioComms Agency) which as far as I can tell is a UK Govt quango. An interesting URL is here (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/wtf/).

I don't see why EASA should get involved in approving radio transmitting equipment within a particular country. Do you have a reference to the EASA bit?

EASA is most certainly involved in approving avionics (and is dragging its feet because of alleged manpower shortage, causing it to contract the approval work back to the domestic agency formerly responsible) etc but this is portable kit which is outside all that.