PDA

View Full Version : Flying an Islander on an MEP rating?

Oxeagle
25th Jan 2007, 15:07
Afternoon chaps,

Would anyone happen to know if you can fly a piston Islander (BN2B - 20 or -26) on an MEP rating? I tried looking on the JAA website at this page (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/classtyperatings.html (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/classtyperatings.html)), but it doesn't mention types. Or are all basic MEP aircraft, including the BN Islander, covered by the MEP Class Rating?

Cheers,

Ox

Chilli Monster
25th Jan 2007, 15:31
No reason why not. It's not pressurised so doesn't require type rating.

The only thing that might have been a problem would have been MTOW, but if it's not below 5700 kg you may still not have a problem as the ANO no longer mentions weight limits.

Oxeagle
25th Jan 2007, 15:37
Chilli Monster,

Many thanks for the reply. The MTOW of a piston Islander is 2995Kgs. What are the criteria for an aircraft to be flown on an MEP Class Rating?

Cheers,

Ox

Talkdownman
25th Jan 2007, 15:47
Would anyone happen to know if you can fly a piston Islander (BN2B - 20 or -26) on an MEP rating?I see absolutely no reason why not. Used to fly a BN2 piston Islander para-dropping on a PPL 'Group B' multi-engine rating, the precursor to the MEP.

buzzc152
25th Jan 2007, 16:12
You'll have to do the relevant differences training (as you do with each and every MEP you fly) with a suitably qualified instructor, but otherwise you're good to go.

DB6
25th Jan 2007, 16:14
There is a list of aircraft requiring type ratings in LASORS; if it's not on that it's covered by a class rating.
The Turbine Islander, Defender and MSSA (?) are on the list, the piston Islander isn't (looks like it's the same as the JAA list but I didn't check it all).
LASORS is available here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf , you want appendix B to section F. It's a bit big, mind (8.2Mb)

Floppy Link
25th Jan 2007, 16:47
Concur with the above...

used to have BN2A/B/T on my Type ratings page ages ago, when I renewed my ATPL all I had left was BN2T

therefore "yes you can"

julian_storey
25th Jan 2007, 17:39
Absolutely.

An Islander is a MEP aircraft which weighs in at less than 5,700 kg.

Bit heavy on the elevator but otherwise flies beautifully.

J.

Talkdownman
25th Jan 2007, 19:13
ISTR that it does everything at 65 knots......

Oxeagle
25th Jan 2007, 19:19
Many thanks chaps, that's all I needed to know :ok:

Cheers,

Ox

Floppy Link
25th Jan 2007, 19:48
ISTR that it does everything at 65 knots......

for the BN2T add 10 kts!

stray10level
26th Jan 2007, 01:58
When you have mastered the Islander, come and see Robin or John at Lydd for the transition on to the TRISLANDER!! Still comes under the Multi part of your rating!!"!"! I am sure a quick google would tell me, but i think it may go over the 5400kg limit of sensibility!! Still fly's by the rule of Bernoulli! as far as i know!

Kit d'Rection KG
26th Jan 2007, 05:14
There are a couple of other things to consider.

First, there aren't many Islanders around available for hire. That said, I do know of one, drop me a PM if you'd like details.

Second, they are on the costly side. I'd expect to stump up about £500/hr wet plus VAT for a nice one.

Enormous fun, though, and with a fabulous range of party tricks up its sleeve!

Whopity
26th Jan 2007, 20:48
The 5700 Kg weight limit was for Group B. There is no such limit for the MEP class rating, you could in theory fly a Lancaster on one.

BillieBob
26th Jan 2007, 23:14
The BN2 has two piston engines and is, therefore, an MEP aeroplane - why has this thread gone on so long?

360BakTrak
27th Jan 2007, 08:14
The End.

Happy Now?!:}

Talkdownman
27th Jan 2007, 11:57
It cannot be the end if you follow it with a question........

360BakTrak
27th Jan 2007, 16:32
.....trust you to be picky!!:}

Dct_Bombi
27th Jan 2007, 17:45
Yea as said no problems with the islander on your MEP, My check out was a 30min flight just to get the feel of it and then let loose on para drops with it, Absolutely great fun to fly but a TAD noisey.
For those that may be interested Aer Arann the island operations side of it which operate just the islanders are looking for pilots with 1500TT and some islander experience. Flight times to the Aran islands are only 7min but you get plenty of practice in intresting Atlantic coastal weather.

Gipsy Queen
1st Feb 2007, 03:09
The BN2 barrell rolls quite nicely (empty!) but you need to take a bit of a run at it.

But get the fun bits over in the first twenty minutes - after that rudder control gets a bit imprecise due to frostbite of the toes. I have never flown an aircraft in which my feet got so bloody cold! :*

Floppy Link
1st Feb 2007, 09:58
I have never flown an aircraft in which my feet got so bloody cold!
You can get an extra 10 minutes of warmth by wearing clean socks! :E

Kit d'Rection KG
4th Feb 2007, 20:16
Or fly a newish one with a decent heater...

'Chuffer' Dandridge
4th Feb 2007, 21:40
why has this thread gone on so long?
Sorry to be a tard harsh, but my thoughts exactly. Why do people post such drivel? It's a free country I suppose.
The " I like aeroplanes and want to learn to fly. What do i do next"? sorta thing.....:ugh:
Maybe we should have a 'dumb questions' page on this forum?

Sorry, been down the pub and had a few too many no doubt..

ITK Tikotani
11th Feb 2013, 21:59
Pacific Flying School offers that course on that aircraft type..

stickandrudderman
12th Feb 2013, 18:05
I'm just writing this because propagation seems to annoy some people and I'm bored.