PDA

View Full Version : Tug Flying

DSAA
25th Jan 2007, 09:21
Does anybody know what further qualifications, if any, are required to fly the tug aircraft at a gliding club? Is a formal qualification required, is it a matter of going on a course to be shown the technique but not being formally examined, or is it just a case of the club showing you the proper technique?

hugh flung_dung
25th Jan 2007, 11:00
It always used to be that the club would train you and decide when you are fit to be let loose on the poor unsuspecting glider pilots. AFAIK it hasn't changed.
Be aware that a gliding "silver C" is usually a base requirement for a tug pilot.

HFD

DSAA
25th Jan 2007, 11:01
Cheers...Just thought it might be an opportunity for some cheeky hours building.

hugh flung_dung
25th Jan 2007, 11:17
If you're an active glider pilot you may be welcomed, even without a Silver C. Some clubs advertise for seasonal full-time tuggies but I didn't think that was what you were looking for.
If you aren't into gliding you should give it a go - ring your local club. If you get hooked it may open the door to the evening/weekend tugging.

HFD

Them thar hills
25th Jan 2007, 17:01
If not glider tugging, how about parachute flying ?
Even parachutists are a bit picky about who gets them aloft, but you may find more opportunities here, depending how far you're prepared to travel.
Or you could get yourself a single seat PFA machine and rattle off some real flying hours and see the country quite cheaply. (and learn a lot)
I can think of one such person who bought a D31 Turbulent and flew every flyable day until he got the magic 700 hours that he needed.
:)

MIKECR
25th Jan 2007, 18:36
I've been a tuggie for 3 years now. I am also a glider pilot but out of 8 tuggies that we have, 4 have never set foot in a glider before in their lives. No harm in approaching your local gliding club, if you dont ask, you dont get. We took on 2 people last year, both of whom turned up on the off chance wondering if they could do some tugging.

DSAA
25th Jan 2007, 21:41
I've been a tuggie for 3 years now. I am also a glider pilot but out of 8 tuggies that we have, 4 have never set foot in a glider before in their lives. No harm in approaching your local gliding club, if you dont ask, you dont get. We took on 2 people last year, both of whom turned up on the off chance wondering if they could do some tugging.

Marvellous...that's what I was hoping.

MIKECR
26th Jan 2007, 07:10
DSAA,

Most clubs use tailwheel A/C of some sort so it might be an idea to approach them forearmed with a tailwheel rating, that might help swing the vote. Assuming of course you havent got the endorsement already??

'Chuffer' Dandridge
27th Jan 2007, 16:34
Most clubs will not normally look at you unless you are have silver C gliding badge, or are a member of that club.

Most of the tug pilots I know are 300 yr old gliding fossils, flying on a silver C PPL conversion.....:rolleyes:

MIKECR
27th Jan 2007, 19:08
Chuffer,

Gee thanks......guess I must be slightly out of the norm, im 30 and got asked for ID in Tesco's yesterday!

We have 2 other young tuggies, one 18, the other late 20's.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
28th Jan 2007, 08:09
I said most of those who i know..... I'm still in my early 40s, and was tugging 20 yrs ago, so I'm not old either...

MIKECR
28th Jan 2007, 08:17
You'll be gettin your pension soon mate!! Only kidding! ;)

Blinkz
12th Feb 2007, 17:51
I'm really interested in getting into tugging, I have a fATPL and around 50hrs gliding with 10 of those solo, although I never got around to bronze. Whats the best way to get your foot in the door? Just ask at local gliding clubs? How is tugging taught as most tugs are single pilot a/c aren't they?

MIKECR
12th Feb 2007, 18:11
Blinkz,

I would simply get stuck in at your local gliding club, a tuggie post will come your way if your keen enough. You already have some gliding experience which will stand you in good stead. We have a handful of tuggies that all turned up "on spec" and all were taken on. If you dont ask you dont get! As for A/C, not all clubs use pawnee's, many use Robin's, Rallye's or even Chippies and Cubs. Most of the pawnee clubs I know also have a spare 2/4 seater for tuggie training and annual checks etc. Most clubs are all on the internet with their own web pages. Try the British Gliding Assosciation website and you'll find a list of all the UK clubs and any that are near you. The club web pages usually have a list of their A/C fleet too.

Mike