PDA

View Full Version : about pre PPL preparations

robin28
23rd Jan 2007, 20:18
Guys l am due to start my PPL in two months time and l want to prepare before l start , what kind of books, info , software should l get? Thank you for readingregards
Desperate me:bored:

hobbit1983
23rd Jan 2007, 22:06
The books for the ground exams would be a good start; I can recommend the Trevor Thom series (Amazon search will prob bring that up). Also the PPL confuser, which is a book of test questions with explained answers.

pchappo
24th Jan 2007, 12:34
your best bet is to find out what your flying school recommends for their teaching. Mine does trevor thom, but i much prefer the AFE books over them.

Also look on Transair's website as they do 'packages' for new students :)

tangovictor
24th Jan 2007, 12:41
Guys l am due to start my PPL in two months time and l want to prepare before l start , what kind of books, info , software should l get? Thank you for readingregards
Desperate me:bored:

my school gave me the AFE books as part of the deal, however I was lucky enough to find, then buy the Oxford Aviation Training CD's
you wouldn't believe how much easier it is, than trying to understand the books, a personal thing I know, If you ring OAT they do a taster CD, you can then see if its more you, than book learning.

maxdrypower
24th Jan 2007, 16:27
In my humble opinion sod preparing before you start , start now , if your getting the books then why not start studying them . Both the above mentioned series are excellent although I have to agree with pchappo the AFE ones do seem better . Wouldnt it be nice of on one of your first attendances you could pass air law , thats first solo sorted then nav qual x country sorted . a lot of it will seem alien to you at first especially with no flying experience but the majority of air law is remembering facts and figures and other stuff .If you werent aware you need to pass air law beofree you can solo and speaking from experience theres nothing worse than being ready to solo and still having an exam to take . think about it the more exams you can pass earlier the less you have to worry about when your flying
good luck I wish you well you will love it

littco
24th Jan 2007, 17:39
I agree with maxdrypower.

Start them now, and concentrate on the Airlaw. That way when you come to Solo you wont have to worry about that exam, it will also help with the early stages of flying.. See exams like the Nav exam really are best done towards the end of the course when you have a practical understanding and can use that in the exam.

Also get the Oxford cd's I bought one which was a preparation CD of the Skills test.. It's brilliant to start off with also as it explains things like " power attitude trim" straight and level, coordinated turns and it's a real bonus to go into those early lessons with a good understanding about whats happening in the plane and it's happening.

gcolyer
24th Jan 2007, 20:17
I agree with maxdrypower.

Start them now, and concentrate on the Airlaw. That way when you come to Solo you wont have to worry about that exam,

Personaly I think doing Human Performance first s better. It is by far the shortest to study and the easiest subject. PLus it will give you a taste of the JAA/CAA exam format without having to cram o hard.