PDA

View Full Version : CASA - any experience

Seagull61
23rd Jan 2007, 06:10
I`m planning a holiday to Oz later in the year and obviously would like to excercise my PPL privileges with a few pleasure flights here and there.

I`ve just been on the CASA website to see the process for validating my JAR license against their criteria and it seems a little heavy handed, compared to the US requirements.

Has anyone been through this process? Anyone experiences with getting your license "certified" by the CAA - whats this mean? How long does this take?

Ta

Phil O'Rupp
23rd Jan 2007, 08:29
What you will need is called a "Special Pilot Licence" It lets you use your existing licence provided that it and your medical are current. Once you have one, you should really only need a check flight (and obviously a briefing on local rules and procedures) from the company you hire from.

The other option is to covert your licence to an Australian licence. I wouldn't recommend this if you're only here for a little while as it requires a full PPL flight test and an Air Law theory exam.

Have a look at the CASA website - it contains the relevant forms http://casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm#special

I would recomment you allow 3-4 months to obtain the Special Pilot Licence (CASA say 8 weeks for processing but that could be a bit optimistic for an overseas application).

Aus is a great place to fly. It might be a bit of a hassle to sort out the paperwork but well worth it.

[Note: If you apply for one of these, when filling out form 639, make sure it is complete or they will send it back. Also include proper passport quality photos and make sure your signature is completely within the box. You will need to apply for either an ASIC or AVID (security check) I recommend an ASIC as it allows you to land pretty much anywhere.]

Seagull61
23rd Jan 2007, 10:56
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think/know if its easier to get the Special License then the certificate of validation - both of which seem to do the same thing, only timescales being the difference?

I think i`ll try for the latter, but the "attach certified copies of license, logbook etc" seems a little misleading, specifically because CASA contact the UK CAA for validation anyway!

Think i`ll phone `em

vetflyer
23rd Jan 2007, 12:16
or you can get a temporary certificate on the basis of your UK Licience to fly there .. this might be easier ..

I applied for this and recieved it fairly easily then applied for a SPL .........took 6 months :ugh: and was only possible since i had a relative in OZ

CASA make CAA look efficient and helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Also you may need a security card to visit certain airfields (RPT)

Best of luck ....where abouts are you travelling to?

Might be useful to contact the aircraft hirer for some help.

cheers

Phil O'Rupp
23rd Jan 2007, 13:15
Not really sure what a certificate of validation is, looks like it's aimed more at short term commercial ops. As an instructor in Aus, I've only ever come across SPLs and people wanting to do overseas conversions. Since the increased security requirements came into force about a year ago, every pilot (including solo students), is required to have an ASIC (to use airports with RPT ops in non-marked areas) or AVID (everywhere else). This is what takes time to process because CASA have to send the details off to external organisations to do the security checks.

Seagull61
23rd Jan 2007, 15:36
I`ll be based at sydney and flying there. Just some hour building and an aeros course.

Will speak to the hirer and see what they advise. To me the Cert of Validation seems the best bet and more geared to the short term visitor then the SPL.

Cheers all

vetflyer
23rd Jan 2007, 18:05
PoR ..Cert Of Val looks like bit of A4 paper:) ..CASA Headed and signed by casa official.. temporay measure

Seagull ... correct would suggest get Cof V first but if you intend to go often get a SPL but as i said expect a long drawn out process . Start process ASAP

I will not bore you with the details of my hassles :ugh: with CASA & SPL issue ( i have 3 now !!! )

have a good trip :ok: