PDA

View Full Version : need help on oral for private

donadie
22nd Jan 2007, 17:36
Hello I will do my checkride soon and am a bit nervous about the oral portion,can anybody share the types of questions asked?
How long does this oral part take, and is it always required even if the writen test is already done.
thank you!:)

aircockroaches
22nd Jan 2007, 18:31
Do you have the PPL confuser? If yes, go through all the questions again - should serve as a good revision.

Moreover, get to know the aircraft's POH very well.

The questions he will ask are quite basic and straightforward. He might make you pretend you're in a scenario and ask you how you would get out of it, for example during my oral part, he asked me what would I do if I put down 30 degrees flaps and suddenly note my aircraft going to the right.

That was the "one-off" question. The others were about speeds, stalls, human performance, etc etc. Just revise the PPL confuser and get to know the POH well.

All the best. Should be piece of cake.

redsnail
22nd Jan 2007, 19:36
donadie,

Are you doing this checkride in the US or UK? There is a difference between the two style of check rides.

maxdrypower
22nd Jan 2007, 20:13
when i did mine it was all about emergency checklists , what does it mean and what you do would you do if your alternator warning light came on in flight and give example of a pan call and when would you use it thats the sort of thing i got and what i can remember

donadie
24th Jan 2007, 17:07
Thanks to all for sharing.
I am doing it on the us, what did you answer to that question of 30 flaps and tendancy to go right? what about the answer for the alternator light?
what is a ppl confuser? and where can I get it?

also can I use the gps on board?

thanks again :)

Walk the line
24th Jan 2007, 17:36
You should really talk to your flying istructor about this, or Chief Flying Instructor.

No, as far as Im aware GPS is NOT allowed on the Skills-test, which is only right. You need to know how to Navigate manually.

If the aircraft has a tendancy to roll in ANY direction (L or R)-this would suggest that your flaps have been lowered asymetrically ie. one side is down and the other isn't. It would be standard enough to carry out a Flapless landing in this case.

If your alternator WNG light comes on-your aircraft is no longer generating its own electricity, and therefore all your electrics are running directly from the battery - In this situation you have around 30mins-45 mins until all electrics are lost. It is advisable to land as soon as practical. So the answer-turn off all non-essential electrics (comms box 2, Nav box if VFR, Lights etc), land as soon as practical.

But I still feel that your flight school should be running through this with you. Talk to them!

WTL