PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar Airport

c152pilot
20th Jan 2007, 09:38
Hi

Does any know if Gibraltar airport excepts light aircraft traffic?

Thanks

ToweringCu
20th Jan 2007, 10:11
I think everything is accepted, except light aircraft.

betterfromabove
20th Jan 2007, 10:27
Yes they do... have seen several articles in the flying mags about doing it. Used to have to fly via anywhere BUT Spain (i.e. hop to/from Tangiers) to get there, but with the agreement that got signed a couple of weeks ago between the UK & Spanish govts this restricted has been lifted for all civilian flights. Presumably this covers "light" visitors too.

Sure someone with more expertise will pop along with more info.

PS> Think this message should be under "Private Flying" BTW, not among the Big Boyz chatroom here...?!?!?

microlight AV8R
20th Jan 2007, 10:54
I think everything is accepted, except light aircraft.

Far too subtle ;)

172driver
20th Jan 2007, 14:11
Leaving the subtleties aside ;) , you'll of course find yourself back in "rip-off Britain" territory - latest I heard was a landing fee of GBP 75 :}

It's probably an interesting "one-off" trip to make, but if you decide to do so, have a close look at the airport charts and the comments section. Depending on wind direction/speed, this can apparently be a challenging ride :eek:

AC-DC
20th Jan 2007, 15:05
It was announced 5 months ago that they will not have light GA aircraft anymore. Give them a call to be sure.

172driver
20th Jan 2007, 20:18
It was announced 5 months ago that they will not have light GA aircraft anymore. Give them a call to be sure.

Where? Can't find anything in the NOTAMs

Keef
20th Jan 2007, 22:27
One of our group planned to fly in there last summer, and had already got the official permission that was needed. When he called from Morocco to confirm, he was told GA is now banned and his permission cancelled.

That may have changed in the meantime.

I'm not so sure I'd want to go there anyway - take a close look at it!

betterfromabove
3rd Mar 2007, 17:20
Why is flying just becoming less & less fun?

Any idea for the reasoning behind the ban?

wet wet wet
3rd Mar 2007, 18:04
My suspicion is that the ban on GA is related to the opening of the air border with Spain. Gib is now much easier to get to, now that you can fly direct from Spain. Remember that every movement requires the closure of the only road between Gib and Spain and you can see the problem that too many movements will cause. A great pity because I was due to go there last summer but was prevented by delays caused by poor weather in Frnace and Spain.

Such is life.

vanhigher
3rd Mar 2007, 18:15
I landed there a couple of weeks ago , no problem at all.
you have to phone first for permission, at least 24hrs notice is required - and if PPR is granted you will receive faxed confirmation. Not cheap to land, between £75 and £120 depending on MTOW, it was strange to pay GBP cash for the landing fee being so far from the uk !
Wind from certain directions can cause turbulence and windshear on final, particularly from the southwest, IIRC

J.A.F.O.
3rd Mar 2007, 21:27
It's a toilet and if it's expensive and they're difficult then why bother?

Go somewhere nice.