PDA

View Full Version : CTR transit charge

pilson
19th Jan 2007, 16:35
At Galway airport in Ireland, the airport charge a -navigation- fee to aircraft (incl. private vfr) that transit the Galway CTR. Does this happen in any other eurocontrol member state? Is it legal?

Chilli Monster
19th Jan 2007, 17:00
Certainly doesn't happen in the UK, and never heard of it anywhere else. As for legality, wouldn't like to say as it doesn't strictly come under the Eurocontrol banner - where VFR flights and aircraft less than 2000kg are exempt.

Have you thought of getting in touch with Irish AOPA about this?

ZeBedie
19th Jan 2007, 19:06
What a bloody cheek! I suppose when people start flying through illegally, without calling them, they'll wonder why. Or you could just use a made up reg?

QDMQDMQDM
19th Jan 2007, 19:33
So how do they collect it? Credit card number from a Piper Cub operating on a handheld?

Floppy Link
19th Jan 2007, 22:22
How high does the zone extend, or is it controlled all the way up?
Let's all fly into the overhead and circle for a while?

scooter boy
20th Jan 2007, 08:52
What was the MTOW of the aircraft were you in?
Maybe they were trying to justify it under the euronav charging scheme?
Sounds unusual to me.
Got to pay for the guiness somehow though I suppose.

SB;)

pilson
20th Jan 2007, 10:10
The charge for transiting the zone is 6 euro each way. The aircraft mass was 1 tonne. There is no charge if you land at the airport but the landing fee is 23 euro per tonne.

The zone extends 10 nm around the airport from sfc to 4000 feet. There is no radar at the airport.

The tower pass the reg to the billing guys and they send the bill to the aircraft owner

The Irish branch of AOPA are dead and buried. There is a new organisation called NASRAv in Ireland. I am on the committee and I am looking into this charge at the request of some of the members

www.nasrav.org

Thanks for the replies guys.

unfazed
20th Jan 2007, 10:17
Might also be worth asking why they don't supply AVGAS to visitors unless you beg them in extreme circumstances and then they charge you an exorbitant amount !