PDA

View Full Version : Longside airfield

StraightLevel
18th Jan 2007, 20:52
hi guys,

anyone know of any activity at Longside airfield near Peterhead in the north-east of scotland?

any aircraft shares for sale there?

regards,

straightlevel

C-dog
18th Jan 2007, 22:44
Did some circuits there a couple of months ago, didn't see too much other activity or aircraft.

StraightLevel
19th Jan 2007, 08:09
hi C-dog,

what length is the usable runway at longside?

the aerodrome chart is not in the afe flight guide that i have.

is it published in any other guide?

regards,

straightlevel

MIKECR
19th Jan 2007, 08:54
It was probably over a year or so ago that I last flew into Longside. It was home to the Buchan Aero Club at that time, microlights and a couple of SEP's i think. They had a website if i remember correctly. From memory the runway was quite short, 500 metres ish?? If you phone the Aberdeen Flying Club at Dyce then they should be able to give you all the details you need, as im sure they use it, or at least used to use it regularly for circuit training. Worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than paying for circuit at ABZ!!

MIKECR
19th Jan 2007, 08:58
Here you are, try this lnk:- www.flyscot.com

Slopey
19th Jan 2007, 10:33
Jim McWilliam is the guy to speak to - it's his airfield :) Grampian Airways Flying club has the number, or PM me.

I did some circuits up at Longside just over a month ago. One of the runways is usable to about 2/3rds length (28/10), the other two have containers parked on them. There's a relatively decent stretch of tarmac in ok nick, and then there's a less well maintained area further down the runway at the westerly end which is not fantastic but usable for taxying. There's a wire fence at the westerly end so you need to get up by then!

Not sure how much stuff is going on out of there at the moment, the new PA28 for Grampian was up there for a couple of weeks getting checked out - did'nt see any other aircraft around or in the hangar when I was up last aside from that one.

Cheers,
S.

rotorfossil
19th Jan 2007, 18:38
North East Aviators has just formed as a club at Longside. Mostly microlights, a Europa and a few others. No fuel available. Only taxiway to the hangars is from the eastern end of the runway and has some loose stones in places. Radio not usually manned so make blind calls.

3PARA
19th Jan 2007, 20:24
Jim McWilliam is no longer at Longside, CHC have relocated Him to Aberdeen & You will find that Longside operate PPR to meet the conditions of their insurance.

Slopey
19th Jan 2007, 22:14
Oh well, good to hear there's some activity up there. I'll pop up when the weather clears at some point.