PDA

View Full Version : Recording VGS hours in civvie log book

Young gun 481
18th Jan 2007, 13:34
I am trying to find out if my hours from VGS can be transferred into my civvie log book. I do not yet have a PPL (still in training), but it would be nice if i could transfer the hours over - although there arn't many of them.

Reading a magazine they say the grob 109 is a touring motor glider which I believe is almost the same as the vigilant I flew. I don't have a touring motor glider rating but hope the hours still count.

Lastly if I can transfer them, how do I record the aircraft registration? Do I just use it's military registration.

Cheers

Young gun 481

Flik Roll
18th Jan 2007, 14:51
As far as I know...
You need to read LASORS as the amount you can use towards initial PPL validation used to be 10hrs or something but that was a few years ago- there are now, IIRC, constraints on what type the hours need to be i.e. P1 as an instructor not just 'any' hours as it used to be!
Again I think you can only record them in your civvie log book if you are in posession of an SLMG/TMG rating or do your PPL wholly on an SLMG.
I stand to be corrected (I haven't read LASORS recently....)
EDIT: LASORS CLICK HERE (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf) and search SLMG and military within Adobe and you shoud be directed to the appropriate area using the search arrows.

tmmorris
18th Jan 2007, 16:47
The problem you've got is that VGS 'instructors' are not instructors in the CAA sense, and even if some are (as at my local one) the VGS itself is not an approved FTO. Thus you are not 'under training', and as you are not captain, the hours cannot be logged as P1 or PU/T, only as passenger time, which doesn't count towards anything.

OTOH if you had a TMG rating and then instructed at a VGS, you could count the hours as P1 towards keeping that TMG rating.

As I understand it... Have you asked at the VGS? Some of the instructors are probably CAA instructors or at least hold JAA PPLs.

Tim

Flik Roll
19th Jan 2007, 02:15
Some of the instructors are probably CAA instructors or at least hold JAA PPLs.
Tim

You would be so lucky....:hmm:

It all changes from year to year. Back in 2003-2004 as a UT Instructor on a VGS with 130 odd hours I was allowed to carry over 10hrs or was it 25 (was a while ago now) towards my PPL... dual or solo, the choice was mine said the CAA man.... not any more I take it from what I managed to read in LASORS. Long gone are the days of getting a PPL with SLMG on as standard :suspect: