PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Hire Malta

Dan Dare
18th Jan 2007, 11:35
Anyone got info on aircraft hire in Malta?

How easy is it? How freindly are they? Do ATC speak English in those parts?

Chilli Monster
18th Jan 2007, 12:38
Anyone got info on aircraft hire in Malta?
http://www.maltaflying.com/
Do ATC speak English in those parts?
Probably the most insulting question you could ask of a Maltese - modern history (last 70 years especially) not your strong point I take it?

IO540
18th Jan 2007, 12:50
Chilli Monster wrote:

modern history (last 70 years especially) not your strong point I take it

Probably the most insulting question you could ask

"Pot" and "Black" come to mind here ;)

I rarely bother to write this kind of stuff but one could have written a useful answer in the time it takes to write a useless one. Having a bad year, Chilli?

Dave Gittins
18th Jan 2007, 13:23
Flew with Malta school of Flying in June 2006. I would warn that you - shall we just say - carefully check what you are told and check and double check what they tell you. I made arrangements before I went by EMAIL but whan I actually arrived there was a spot of evasion about availability of aeroplanes and suitable instructors for a check out.

I was told with all sorts of apologies that the 172 had just gone tech ... yet I subsequently found it had already been grounded for about 3 weeks awaiting a nosewheel strut bush - which is why, after pushing hard for days and times, I got the 152 (which had absolutely useless headsets ... take your own.)

Arrangements tended to be a bit "loose" with time somewhat "at large" when I was trying to fit my flying around a family holiday without spoiling my wife's fun. (she was not enamoured with the bus ride from Valetta to the airport - the bus beiong a little lacking in the cartspring area).

A word of warning, to get access airside at the GA/Eng side of the field at Luqa, if you do not have your name wth security 24 hours in advance (should be done by the flying school) and you do not have your passport with you for security to hold whilst you are airside, there is no way you will get in.

Having said that the flying was good, ATC was fine, a figure of 8 round Malta and Gozo takes about an hour, chock to chock, and there are some superb photos to be taken.

Enjoy

Final 3 Greens
19th Jan 2007, 09:39
English is an official language of the Republic of Malta.

So you can expect most people to speak it fluently, to a higher standard than some of the current occupants of a certain house.

tom775257
19th Jan 2007, 15:36
Yes, ATC are very good at Luqa (LMML) and speak English very well!

I've yet to have a problem speaking English on the island. Malti is too complicated for me! I've yet to hire a light aircraft, but I too want to soon when the family come over so please report back..

Sahha,

Tom.

VFE
16th Feb 2007, 15:48
Could anyone shed any light on the costs of hiring a C152 or C172 at the Malta School of Flying? They're website does not state prices.

Regards,

VFE.

fabiensf
17th Feb 2007, 15:14
Last I checked it was Lm49 for the 152, Lm67 for the 172 & Lm96 for the 206.

(Lm=Maltese pounds)

Crashed&Burned
18th Feb 2007, 21:22
Managed to arrange a flight in a C172 some years ago when on holiday in Malta. The views were terrific bit frankly once you have circumnavigated the islands (including Gozo), that's about it. Flights to Sicily are possible albeit boring and very hot at times, and I believe the Italians are not altogether friendly towards GA.

Worth doing once would be my comment.

C&B

mazzy1026
19th Feb 2007, 07:51
Dan - sent you a PM on this a while ago - did you get it?

Dan Dare
23rd Feb 2007, 18:55
So nearly managed to do the trip, but in the end the beaurocracy caught up with me. I have an old CAA licence, which would not allow me to fly a Maltese registered aircraft in Italy. I believe that if I were to have been JAA licenced there would have been no problem.

malta flying (http://www.maltaflying.com) were very helpful and I was only too dissappointed not to have been able to do business with them. Maybe next time if I ever get a European licence. Falcon Alliance (http://www.falconalliance.com/) are also at Luqa flying Tecnam P92 (which I fancy a go in), but the same issue would apply for me.

Luqa didn't seem all that busy while I was there, so I think a whizz round the islands would be a great idea when you visit. There's plenty to gawp at from the air and perhaps you'd get a better idea of the sheer scale of the 5000 year old historic sites, which is difficult to guage from close-up. They are currently discussing plans for an 800 m strip at Gozo as well, so that could make flying very useful.

If any of you get to do it, don't forget to post your experiences for the rest of us to share...

9Haviator
16th Jul 2008, 12:08
Well I know that this has been discussed long time ago, however I think id share my experience as a Maltese Citizen. For information only we are one of the few countries that speak fluent english! :)

So I take that as an INSULT! when you ask if we speak english and with all due respect you must live in the dark ages to actually assume.

I have peronally studied my JAA PPL license with Malta School of Flying. At the time the training by the instructor assigned to me was impecable!

One thing which dissapointed me is that the course was oversighted by 3494 euros and I was really dissapointed. The aircraft are maintined to the level of safety, they use them constantly almost 12 hrs a day non stop so dont expect them to be new! Both c172 are of 1965 if I am correct.

Malta is a nice place to fly with spectacular views. Its a must to perform some local flights.

Current prices are: C152 120euros/hr
C172 150euros/hr
C206 is currently leased to a spanish company performig banner towing.

hope this helps you all.... and for the record English is our Second language! :)

My 2 cents.

Weekend Flyer
16th Jul 2008, 12:20
Thanks 9Haviator - I am hoping to spend a few days on Malta in September (around the time of the Airshow) and had begun to wonder what the possibilities for private flying were. I hold a CAA PPL and would probably be looking to hire a C172 with an Instructor for a local "bimble" - aerial sightseeing with an entry in my logbook as a bonus!

Final 3 Greens
16th Jul 2008, 13:56
9Haviator

I love your handle.

As a Maltese permanent resident (Ibrag), I was also insulted by the question.

Malta may be a small, but it punches above it's weight in many ways and has some of the nicest people anywhere (which is why we live here)

Sahha + Ciao!

clearfinalsno1
13th Aug 2010, 12:58
Hi all, there were several historical threads on GA Flying and Hire in malta and this seemed the best of the bunch.

Can anyone provide an update on prices and availability for an hour or two's hire of a PA28 or C172.

I'm planning to go to Malta for a weekend, late summer/autumn 2010. Ideally, I'd have something like a 30 min check ride and then go off solo for a circumnavigation of the island.

Cheers

CFN1

clearfinalsno1
13th Aug 2010, 22:00
I notice there is a 2nd airfield in the south-west corner of the island with what appears an active runway as shown here

airfield in south-west tip (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Dragonara+Road,,+St+Julian%27s+STJ3141,+Malta+(Burling ton+Apartments)&daddr=Triq+L.V.+Farrugia,+San+Giljan,+Malta+(Radisson+Blu+Re sort,+Malta+St.+Julian%27s)&hl=en&geocode=CTMgSYY-Urb7Fb4oJAIdrR3dACFgCG-fa3O0Wg%3BFXo_JAIdwh3dACFE97A2SwzyWQ&mra=pd&mrcr=0&sll=35.924514,14.490591&sspn=0.032459,0.0842&ie=UTF8&ll=35.819144,14.507092&spn=0.004063,0.010525&t=h&z=17)

A and C
14th Aug 2010, 11:10
I have done some business with Falcon and would have no hesitation in recomending them.

The office/briefing area is very well appointed and they have a keen, friendly instructional staff.

My business with them was of an engineeing nature and I was very impressed by the first class engineering set up that looks after the Falcon fleet.

The only warning I would issue is that they will need 24 hours notice of your arrival for airport security reasons.