PDA

View Full Version : Windy Thursday...

tmmorris
17th Jan 2007, 18:36
This from Brize TAF:
EGVN 171633Z 171818 23010KT 9999 SCT025 BECMG 0003 21015G25KT 7000 RA BKN018 TEMPO 0312 4000 RADZ BKN014 BECMG 0407 23025G38KT 9999 NSW TEMPO 0813 23032G48KT PROB30 TEMPO 1214 26040G58KT 4000 SHRA SCT014 BECMG 1316 27025G40KT SCT025 TEMPO 1316 27035G50KT BECMG 1618 27020G35KT
Don't fancy that in a C152 - I've cancelled for tomorrow. 26040G58KT isn't funny...
Tim

Johnm
17th Jan 2007, 19:09
Straight down the runway at Kemble. What's the problem:eek:

Sleeve Wing
17th Jan 2007, 19:18
Straight down the runway at Kemble. What's the problem:eek:

Yeah, great, Johnnie,.......... but I can't see enough outa mine to land backwards !

stiknruda
17th Jan 2007, 22:23
In my early teens I read a book by Laurens Van der Post; Luderitz in German South West Africa was mentioned and this town became something magical to me.

Twenty years later, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to fly myself across Africa and Luderitz (Namibia) became my goal.

So some years ago I find myself calling, " Luderitz, 3DAFE, ten miles north east, inbound to land."

"3-FE - Luderitz, runway in use is 21, wind 210/45"

The wind aloft was very different and I made good time on my descent to the threshold, I didn't really land, I just hovered. One of those unforgettable days.

VCR
18th Jan 2007, 09:42
It's straight down the runway here up to nearly 40 knots......would love to have some hover practice on the threshold!!

soay
18th Jan 2007, 10:41
I'm not risking it today either:

BLACKPOOL EGNH 181120Z 24046G63KT 9999 FEW030 10/02 Q0976

edited to add:

BLACKPOOL EGNH 181350Z 27049G73KT 3500 HZ BKN030 08/02 Q0981

QDMQDMQDM
18th Jan 2007, 10:43
Chivenor is 44mph, gusting 72mph:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/sw_latest_wind.html

I'm on a hill at 800 feet 8 miles away and the wind is whistling through the electricity sockets.

Bravo73
18th Jan 2007, 11:06
Our local ATIS has just given 51G69KTS! :eek:

gingernut
18th Jan 2007, 14:00
Just been out and about near Liverpool, and have seen 3 fallen mature trees in the space of about ten minutes.

And its gone a little quiet beneath the flightpath.:}

J.A.F.O.
18th Jan 2007, 14:20
43 gusting 58 here and apparently that's NOSIG. :)

Maz11
18th Jan 2007, 14:38
Well if they don't think its going to change then it will be NOSIG

Whirlybird
18th Jan 2007, 15:10
Here....approx 1000 ft in South Peak District....my neighbours' garden shed roof blew off...the childrens' playhouse in my garden blew right over; been trying to sell it on Ebay and saying it might be hard to move as it's so heavy....conservatory roof is bending and creaking alarmingly...I tried to go outside and found it very hard to walk against the wind...power cut earlier, on now, but who knows for how long...Apparently floods on the way to the next town, haven't been out to see.

Flying? Forget it. Batten down the hatches time. :ok:

BigAl's
18th Jan 2007, 17:32
Have just seen some footage on the 6 o'clock news of a Bae 146 doing a fairly hairy looking x wind t/o! Looked pretty near it's limit to me. Did'nt catch the airport, but there was plenty of sideways action pre Vr! :}

tmmorris
18th Jan 2007, 17:50
What is the crosswind limit on that sort of ac? I guess the limit is down to the company operations manual, as we know the 'demonstrated crosswind' isn't limiting - but what sort of wind can you land, say, a 737 in?

Tim

waldopepper42
18th Jan 2007, 18:04
Today I went to my uncle's funeral. The burial was marred somewhat by the fact that a tree had been uprooted by the wind and blown over the burial site, and had to be removed before the ceremony could go ahead.

Definately NOT a day to contemplate flying. Am contemplating a good many years before I join him!!!!

nouseforaname
18th Jan 2007, 20:45
i flew today actually didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was. if you weigh up what you have to risk against what you have to loose! not very even....

DenhamPPL
19th Jan 2007, 00:02
:ooh: Wow cant believe anyone flew in Thursdays chaotic weather. Had to cancel my Solo X Country:bored:

I could have done with a rudder on my car on the M1 it was that gusty!

Will Hung
19th Jan 2007, 07:47
Nouseforaname, where on earth did you fly from near London yesterday ?

Jump Complete
19th Jan 2007, 10:46
Old Buckenham south of Norwich apparentely lost part of the hanger roof and the doors blew into the hanger, damaging three aircraft!

EvilKitty
19th Jan 2007, 12:56
Nouseforaname, where on earth did you fly from near London yesterday ?

There was a constant stream of air traffic over West London yesterday heading to some small field out near Hillingdon. They must all be barking if you ask me flying in weather like that.:\

Fox 1
19th Jan 2007, 13:17
what are you lot on about.... try 130/20G40 in a sandstorm, dodging RPGs and small arms at night, in a Seneca, into Basra... (well they didnt tell me it was that bad when i took the job) even Centreline wouldnt put you through that.

forget
19th Jan 2007, 13:23
Wise advice - bless 'em.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/_42469595_hodgins_herts416.jpg

tiggermoth
19th Jan 2007, 14:24
It took me just over 5 hours to get home last night (the journey usually takes less than an hour). On this occassion, however, I didnt think that I could have got home quicker if I had flown!

In our office we were trying to see who were the worst affected by it all - and I thought my "five hour" journey would have been it - but a colleague took eight hours to get home, and and another four people gave up and stayed in B&Bs and hotels for the night.

Excellent work by all those pilots who managed to get those big birds down on the ground safely - the news footage showed that it was really very challenging indeed. I will never moan about a crosswind again.

stiknruda
19th Jan 2007, 16:07
One of the aircraft damaged at OB is one of mine!

Will post some pix tomorrow once I've been to see it.

Stik

Norfolk Newbie
19th Jan 2007, 18:19

Stik

Sorry to hear about that Stik...

I hope its not too "unwell".

TST Tom
19th Jan 2007, 23:02
Pity the guys at St Michael's microlight strip (near Preston, Lancs) where their steel frame hangar collapsed yesterday. The place looks like a scrap yard:

http://nwmac.our-info.org/index.php?album=St%20Micks%20Storm%20Jan%2007

:eek:

SkyHawk-N
20th Jan 2007, 11:37
Stik

Sorry to hear that Stik, I just saw the pictures in the paper.

I've just helped fish a glider out of a plowed field at our airfield. It looks like a micro burst or mini-tornado picked one glider trailer out of a row of four and literally tore it apart. The other trailers parked only a few feet away were untouched and hadn't even moved an inch!

stiknruda
20th Jan 2007, 14:33
Thanks everyone. It was damaged seriously and we are now negotiating with loss adjusters a mutually beneficial outcome. It could have been worse, it could have been the Pitts:E :E

There are 3 aeroplanes that look really sad in the hangar today, I don't have the heart to post pix!:ooh:

Stik

Jump Complete
21st Jan 2007, 10:42
Thanks everyone. It was damaged seriously and we are now negotiating with loss adjusters a mutually beneficial outcome. It could have been worse, it could have been the Pitts:E :E
There are 3 aeroplanes that look really sad in the hangar today, I don't have the heart to post pix!:ooh:
Stik
I saw the picture of the flying clubs cherokee minus roof. very sad looking. Best of luck getting airborne again, Sticknruda. JC

Auster Fan
21st Jan 2007, 16:31
Stik
Yeah - G-NINB weas one of my "mounts" while I'm doing my PPL - very sorry to hear of the dame to youir aircraft. This is the story from the Eastern Daily Press:

Pilots said yesterday that up to £350,000 of damage had been done when this week's gales ripped the roof off a hangar and destroyed some of the aircraft inside.

Three planes have been written off and another six badly damaged after gusts of about 80-90mph ripped into the hangar at Old Buckenham airfield, near Attleborough, on Thursday.

Only three planes escaped unscathed after the metallic doors of the hangar were sucked by the wind into the hangar itself, causing huge damage to the planes in their way.

Yesterday the three mangled planes had been left in the debris-littered hangar, propellers twisted off and wings bent out of all recognition.

The managing director of the airfield, Paul Layzell, described the scenes of devastation he encountered on returning to the airbase when the storm died down as similar to the pictures he had seen of hurricanes battering Florida.

He said: “At about 11.30am on Thursday there was the most massive gust of wind that I have ever experienced, it must have been about 80 or 90mph and just like a hurricane.

“It all happened in seconds. My son William and I were driving around the airfield in our car, inspecting the hangars and we were literally by the side of it as the roof came off, no more than 10 or 12 feet away.

“We saw the roof lift off and the doors flying around the hangar like they were as light as paper clips. There would have been serious trouble if anyone had been in there but fortunately no one was injured.

“But if you look at some of the planes now, they're like convertibles.”

This aerial picture shows the badly damaged roof of the aircraft hangar at Old Buckenham Airfield.
Four fire crews spent the afternoon helping to make the hangar safe and yesterday airfield staff wheeled the undamaged and slightly-damaged planes from away from the precarious remains of the roof.

The three planes destroyed include a Rockwell Commander 114 owned by a prominent businessman living in Little Cressingham, near Thetford, and a Mooney M20K registered to an owner in Lancing, near Brighton.

A 1973 Piper owned by the Old Buckenham Flying School was also destroyed and Mr Layzell said the school will remain closed for the moment. The airfield will reopen after the weekend.

Despite many insurance companies refusing to pay out for storm damage, claiming it was an act of God, Mr Layzell said an insurance assessor had visited the airfield yesterday and had said that in this case they were still covered.

jamestkirk
22nd Jan 2007, 15:51
My CFI was listening to gatwick approach and a 146 pilot reported a wind on the ILS as 108kts. It was roughly 2000'. (at 270 degrees)