PDA

View Full Version : Parrot shoot

waldopepper42
17th Jan 2007, 18:11
Can anyone recommend a good supplier of parachutes for use in an aerobatic aircraft. I am looking for a back pack style rather than "sit on", and being a short@rse (5' 4") it will not need to be long in the body.

I have discovered one site "WINGS AND WHEELS " in Lakewood, NY whose prices, given the current strong £/$ rate, seem to be quite reasonable.

However, given the wealth of knowledge to be found on this site, I thought I'd ask the question before parting with my hard earned spondoolicks!

Pitts2112
17th Jan 2007, 19:00
Got mine through Softie in California. Superb service and they can custom make a rig for you if you need it packed to a certain dimension.

However, being a shorta@$e, would a seatpack maybe not be a better option?

Also, it depends on what you're going to be flying in as to which pack works best. I got a seatpack because, flying a Pitts, I had more excess space vertically to the canopy than I did horizontally to the instrument panel. Softie also makes packs that are long and thin and designed for use in gliders which have more of a reclining couch than an upright seat. The chute starts at your shoulders and goes down under your butt rather than stopping at your tailbone. It may be another option for you.

At any rate, they're very well known, a small operation so you talk to experts in every instance, and they make sure they get it right. I've been very happy with mine.

Of course, since I've never had to use it, I have no idea if there's even a real parachute inside, but the pack looks good and fits comfortably.

Drop me a PM if you have any other questions. I'm by no means an expert, but I did do a bit of research which led me to Softie.

Cheers,
Pitts2112

Mark 1
17th Jan 2007, 20:06
I have a Strong from the US, available in most styles.

Thomas Sport at Bridlington supply a decent back pack at a reasonable price.
AFE at Kidlington supply the Irwins, as supplied to certain employees of HMG. I think they also do a German type with a longer re-packing interval.

ACS in the US have a good selection in their catalogue, and are used to dealing with international orders.

Zulu Alpha
17th Jan 2007, 21:25
Don Mayer at the parachute shop in the US is very helpful.

http://www.parachuteshop.com/

He ships worldwide

stiknruda
17th Jan 2007, 22:12
Mine's a softie wedge (paraphenalia)

RatherBeFlying
18th Jan 2007, 00:16
Our glider club has several chutes for use in aeros, spin checks and single-seaters.

Some chutes work much better than others depending on the cockpit and after a thoroughly uncomfortable hour or so until the aches faded away, I have learned to be finicky about matching chute to me and the cockpit.

If at all possible, do your best to try on a sample and sit in your cockpit before committing to purchase.