PDA

View Full Version : PPL test fees and license issue fees

norton2005
17th Jan 2007, 15:40
I've been told that you pay for both the PPL test and then for the issue of your PPL. So just wondering on average, how much is it for the test and how much is it for the issue of the license? Does it differ from place to place or is it a standard thing?

hobbit1983
17th Jan 2007, 16:12
The test fee itself will comprise (presumably unless you own the aircraft) the hire fee for the aircraft (at solo rates) plus the examiner fee. This varies from club to club.

The PPL issue fee is standard, as it's a CAA charge. At the moment it's £159 as I believe - this came up when I did a search on the CAA site, http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Scharges_ppl_06.pdf

Don't ask me why it's so much for a book, paper & stamp....

gcolyer
17th Jan 2007, 16:14
You will find the answers here excluding the cost of aircraft hire.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Scharges_ppl_06.pdf

In essence:

PPL A Skills test £168.00 + cost of aircraft hire
PPL A Issue £159.00
RT license issue £63.00

Then you will be licensed to learn :bored:

gcolyer
17th Jan 2007, 16:16
The test fee itself will comprise (presumably unless you own the aircraft) the hire fee for the aircraft (at solo rates) plus the examiner fee. This varies from club to club.

The PPL issue fee is standard, as it's a CAA charge. At the moment it's £159 as I believe - this came up when I did a search on the CAA site, http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Scharges_ppl_06.pdf

Don't ask me why it's so much for a book, paper & stamp....

You must have posted as i was writing :)

norton2005
17th Jan 2007, 18:32
Wow that really is extortion. to have to pay over 2 hundred pounds to do a test just to have to pay another 159 pounds just to get your license. it's robbery plain and simple. whatever could all that money be for.

spitfire
17th Jan 2007, 18:38
Oh come on, you're pilots, you're rich, you can afford it.

norton2005
17th Jan 2007, 18:46
Not a pro pilot yet, Unfortunately all this money is to become a pilot meaning not quite where i want to be yet so what this means is that im just depending very heavily on my parents at the moment until i get to where i want to be. aw well i guess some things have to be done, but someone once told me that here in the UK we have one of the most expensive aviation authorities in the world. i mean is there anywhere that will charge more than the CAA? i wouldnt like to be living there if there is.

hobbit1983
17th Jan 2007, 19:02
Norton,

Yes the CAA do charge a lot. Sadly they have the monopoly on licensing for the UK! And of course, as spitfire says, we're all rich, being pilots...:}

gcolyer,

Great minds and all that..:ok:

Whopity
17th Jan 2007, 19:36
PPL A Skills test £168.00 + cost of aircraft hire
PPL A Issue £159.00
RT license issue £63.00The £168 is what you would have to pay a CAA Staff Examiner to conduct the test. Industry examiners are free to set their own figure. Usually around £175.

If you apply for or hold a UK issued flight crew license the RT licence is free!

gcolyer
17th Jan 2007, 20:20
If you apply for or hold a UK issued flight crew license the RT licence is free!

Not according to this http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fc...ges_ppl_06.pdf

I cant remember if I had to pay for my RT license or not. To be honest I have given up worrying about how much things cost in aviation...especialy in JAA/CAA land.

Malcolm G O Payne
19th Jan 2007, 21:31
Ther is no fee payable for the addition of an RT Licence to a
PPL. The £63, to rise to £65 on 1 March, is for a stand-alone licence. Of course, there will still be the examination fee.

bigfoot01
20th Jan 2007, 07:59
... I think I got £170 worth of pleasure folding up the little bits of paper and putting them in the brown plastic cover when it arrived yesterday :)

tiggermoth
20th Jan 2007, 09:29
Bigfoot - origami is the hobby for you then (or mix two hobbies and fold paper aeroplanes - even better). :)

Issuing a new PPL with night rating is another seventy odd pounds again (or something like that). Why on earth it costs any more to put a few more words on the same piece of paper. Expensive ink, that's all I can think of.

cadaha
20th Jan 2007, 15:18
Hi norton2005

I've sent you a pm

Regards

Carl

TheOddOne
21st Jan 2007, 10:20
Wow that really is extortion. to have to pay over 2 hundred pounds to do a test just to have to pay another 159 pounds just to get your license. it's robbery plain and simple. whatever could all that money be for.

Firstly, the 'justification' for the expense of the examiner's fee. It costs tens of thousands of pounds to get to the stage of being an examiner, then hundreds if not thousands to maintain it. Most examiners don't make a lot of money - just a living wage if you're lucky.

The UK govenment make a number of agencies 'pay their own way' - the CAA is one such. Many other governments make the taxpayer pay for agencies that are working in a business sector capable of paying for iteslf. There are checks and balances on the relative efficiency of these agencies, the devil really is in the detail of what they require of us in terms of over-regulation. If what the FAA does seems cheap by comparison with the UK CAA it's because every taxpayer in the US contributes to their running costs - even if they not remotely interested in or ever use aviation. Is this fair? A lot of other governments who currently make their taxpayers pay for aviation regulation are coming around to the view that it isn't and will make their aviation agencies self-funding - that'll be fun in countries whose AA's are hopelessly inefficient! The big problem for me is that the UK CAA remains a monopoly without being sufficiently accountable for the regulations they impose on us. But how could it be any different?

Cheers,
TOO

norton2005
21st Jan 2007, 14:00
Carl, thanks for that, very informative site.