PDA

View Full Version : C172 condition

knox
17th Jan 2007, 03:32
Hello all.
I have just started flying a C172, and on my preflight i noticed a few things i didn't like the look of.
1. the engine oil on the dip stick was jet black.
2. The flaps have an excessive amount of movement (laterally) i don't mean in a raising and lowering way.
3. the control column rotates approx 110 deg either side of center (which is much more than i've experienced in other 172's for that matter any other AC)

The general condition is quite rough.. its an old AC.

What i'd like to know: is this anything to be concerned about or am i worrying about nothing??

thanks.

Knox

stevef
17th Jan 2007, 04:42
I wouldn't be too concerned about those things, Knox. The black oil is caused by normal cylinder/ring wear (blowby) and is common on engines well into their overhaul lives. Check the engine logbook for confirmation. All Cessnas piston aircraft have a lot of lateral movement in the flap rollers/guides; I've never seen a tight system. Regarding the 110 degree control wheel movement, I wouldn't say that was uncommon. If you've still got doubts, report these things to your A&P on the next 50hr but I've seen similar in many years of working on aircraft.
Steve.