PDA

View Full Version : Manned MATZ and active MATZ

tiggermoth
14th Jan 2007, 19:58
I'm showing my ignorance here (as usual).

Many MATZ are shown as manned during generally office hours Monday-Friday but then state MATZ 'active' 24h. What does that actually mean if you wish to transit a MATZ on, say a weekend?

T.

Chilli Monster
14th Jan 2007, 20:07
I thihk you'll find it's MATZ active as per published hours, ATZ within the MATZ active 24 hours (apart from a couple, Barkston Heath being one, plus another which escapes me).

As RAF airfields have ATC, then Rule 39 states you cannot enter the ATZ without permission from the appropriate ATC unit. So - ATC not manned, no permission, no entry into the ATZ even though MATZ transits when closed are not a problem.

chevvron
15th Jan 2007, 09:51
When we had JSP318a (now superseded by - I think - JSP552) it stated that a MATZ is only active when the airfield it surrounds is open for operational flying; as Chilli says, a MATZ also contains an ATZ which is usually permanently active; so no reply on the notified frequency = no MATZ but stay out of the ATZ
Many RAF airfields have active gliding clubs which operate when ATC are not there - there should be a cable hazard warning on CAA 1/2 mils, but I understand other publishers do not print this info. so if you're flying near a military airfield in the UK when the ATC unit is closed, use a CAA published chart for accurate info.
UK AP ENR 2.2 lists rule 39 atz's surrounding military airfields giving times of operation plus contact frequencies.

scubawasp
15th Jan 2007, 10:14
Not that you wouldn't want too, but where does it say that you MUST get permission to enter an active MATZ - you don't need it!

360BakTrak
15th Jan 2007, 11:20
Chilli....did you receive any of my PM's?

Zulu Alpha
15th Jan 2007, 11:34
scubawasp is correct, there is no requirement to contact anyone to enter a MATZ. Even if it is operational and manned you can enter without talking to anyone and they cannot refuse permission because you do not need permission. MATZ 24 is therefore just a guidance that you can speak with the MATZ controller at weekends as well as weekdays. Its probably sensible and courteous to speak with them but they can only offer guidance and traffic alerts as you do not need permission or radio contact to enter the MATZ.
Within most MATZ's there are usually airfields with ATZs and to enter these you need permission, very often this is refused because of traffic or security reasons. Also, if you cannot get permission then you canot enter the ATZ, so if they don't answer the radio you need to go round the ATZ
eg I do aerobatics within the Lakenheath/Mildenhall MATZ. I speak with them on the radio and tell them what I am doing and they give me traffic advisories. Once or twice they have asked if I can move a mile or so to be clear of their ILS but that has been a request which I would be perfectly within my rights to refuse... I have always moved so as to be helpful. They normally instruct all VFR pilots to keep away from the Lakenheath and Mildenhall ATZ, probably for secuity reasons as much as anything else. Sometimes there is no answer from the MATZ contoller and then I just do what I want but keep clear of the ATZs.